Norwegian Sun

Thecat3902

I am one of the most indecisive people ever. My husband and I are going to take our first vacation ever away from the kids. We originally planned to sail the carnival vista (yes we love carnival as a matter of fact we just love cruising) but since it would be two years away we chucked the idea. We then looked at Europe (still have in the back of my mind but worried about being away from the kids for so long) so now we are looking at Alaska. I think I am leaning towards the Sun for the great rates and it looks like the itinerary for next June is good. We are looking at June of 2016 which goes southbound out of Seward and ends in Vancouver. We are going for the site seeing and would love to hear feedback on the Sun and what it does have to offer when we are not in port. How are the shows? Are the pools heated? How is the food? Also what can we expect temperature wise during the day and at night? Attire for the cruise? Any insight would be great.

Also we are thinking of splurging if we do go for the Alaskan cruise and do the helicopter ride that takes you dog sledding, has anyone done this excursion and is it worth it? Also which whale watching cruise would anyone recommend since that is our other top priority excursion wise?

Last question if you do not do a tour in a port what did you do instead to site see, etc. ?

Thanks for your tips. Hopefully this will solidify our decision.

I've answered this question before, and I hope I don't sound too much like a cheerleader, but The Sun was the best cruise the dh and I have taken. The crew was incredible and knew us BY NAME almost immediately. The Cruise Director and his staff made the time to get to know us. We were on a 10 day S. Caribbean around this time last year, and all the entertainment was great. We had a regular comedian, the Second City comedy cast, a ventriloquist, a hypnotist, an awesome Beatles tribute band, and multiple shows from the Sun Performers. These were thE weakest of the shows, but they were still great. We also liked the personal touches of The Sun - a glass of champagne when we boarded (something that used to be a regular thing but not so much anymore), a special sing along one night in the atrium, and welcome back port parties that were really unique. Not just frozen face cloths. We had ice cream, rum punch one one day, games, etc. I can't speak for Alaska, but I would go back on The Sun any day. It was a really special experience.

We were also on the Sun in April of 2013, and it has definitely been our favorite cruise so far! In fact, although we have a cruise booked on the Escape this winter and will soon be booking two more cruises for next year, we're really bummed that the Sun isn't doing those 10 day Southern Caribbean itineraries anymore. The staff was amazing, the food was great and the ship was beautiful and just the right size, IMO.

We're just off the Sun yesterday. The current onboard entertainment was a comedian and el gaucho. I thought the sun singers were better than these two.

the one pool i got in was very cold

many different reviews on food, we liked it.

they said it would go in for dry dock sometime in 2016