Diamond Cruise 4/5/15 aboard the Breeze

jimbo5544

Grand Caymen being a tender port, there are decisions to make about going early (there is always a rush of people wanting to go ashore) or waiting a bit. Seeing we have been to GC many times, lastly on our NYE cruise aboard the Breeze, we opted to wait and let the rush go.

The last time we were at GC there were six ships, the most we have ever seen. I was interested to see how many ships were going to be there this time.

The majority of our group had previously madse the decision to go to 7 mile beach to Royal Palms. Royal Palms is a nice place with many amentities and not far out on the beach. We decided to join them there.

We ended up walking down and getting right on a tender which left right away. There were three other ships in port as we tendered in (which by mid day had grown to 6 again). I only managed to capture one digitally. Here it is

ztf8g2.jpg

We returned around 2 and got to the pier in just enough time to experience a mid afternoon downpour. It only lasted 20 minutes and then back on the ship. We spenst some time on lido and got ready to head back to the MDR after the Steakhouse the prvious evening.

After dinner we were on ocens plaza waiting for some of our group, and I wanted to check out the dive in movie (and hustle a popcorn which I love). I happened to take a aft elevator up to 10 and was then making my forward to the main pool area. This is not a normal path for me, especially during that time (which was about 8:30pm).

Two things caught me by surprise. The first was how many people were eating dinner on lido. My guess was at least two hundered (in various stages of eating, some ebginning some done etc.). This blew me away. I was shocked at how many there were. Just one more example of how cruising is evolving.

The second was, when I got to the main pool area, every single chair (both on the main level as well as the upper level) was taken by people enjoying the movie. Again, blew me away. Thankfully as I meanderd over the Blue Iguana Rum Bar, there was still popcorn to be had.;). Also it was not $3 bucks a bag (and a darned small bag) like they charged on Oasis;).

When we went to bed that night I noticed something that I had previously not noticed. As was the norm, when we retire for the evening I spend some time out on the balcony. This evening I sensed rather than saw the neighbor on the left (extended aft balcony) was out there smoking, as I glanced over and said evening he kind of stared me down and looked a me while he smoked, kind of confrontational. This was an ode to things to come..... then I retired for the night. Now with the recent changes to the smoking policy in our 2 sailings after that, I had not seen an increase of people smoking on their balconies. I had smelled it before, but it is not a big deal to me per se. I then noticed that there was more than this one cabin, there were a few. Interesting, I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

Edited by jimbo5544

Later that night (read that as much later...in the neighborhood of 3:45 AM I get awoken by many voices coming from the room and balcony next door. They were not really loud, nor did it last all that long but to be honest, this was the first time this had happened to us.

It was not to be the last.....

Later that night (read that as much later...in the neighborhood of 3:45 AM I get awoken by many voices coming from the room and balcony next door. They were not really loud, nor did it last all that long but to be honest, this was the first time this had happened to us.

It was not to be the last.....

Did you report them or deal with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you report them or deal with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For this particular evening, to be honest, I was never really more than half awake. I did get up, and looked out the window, saw 4 or 5 people on the balcony near the divider, Went the bathroom, came back to bed a fell right back to sleep. We did discuss it the next morning as to whether we should have or not but chose the "turn the other cheek" plan.

We awoke at our normal time the next morning and went for our usual walk around the ship on floor five. We were able to watch the ship sail into Cozumel. Cozumel is easily our mod frequent cruise port of call. It is probably around the 13th time (give or take a couple without double checking myself) to stop there. It is also one of my favorite stops, probably the favorite of the Western Caribbean.

Three Cozumel stops prior (on the Oasis actually) I and one of my son in laws had done an excursion there called Cozumel Bar Hop. This excursion (not a ship run one, but is run by a couple of Americans) takes a small group on a tour of the Eastern side of the island. It was a spectacular time. It was the first time I had ever been on the east coast (the Atlantic side), and for me each stop got better and was a real eye opener of some of the hidden gems of Cozumel. I would highly recommend it. The next cruise that we were on that stopped in Cozumel, we rented a van and a driver for half a day and I took 8 people back to the east coast and they shared my sentiments.

Just to set the record straight, Cozumel only has one town, San Miguel (very near the cruise port) The eastern side is, well ummm rustic, most stops don't have electricity and the bathrooms are....well they work. The beaches are well, what is the word I am looking for....spectacular.

As you can see I have digressed, but for a reason. This cruise, I was asked by one of the parents (my sister law actually) to take a group back over to the eastern side, so they could experience it. I said I would be happy to.

The core group that want to go continued to grow, and I was concerned about coordinating drivers (limited english speaking drivers as well), keeping the costs constant and other issues. The night before, we got a message in our room, that for several reasons, it was falling apart. We ended up not going. I was dis-appointed but it was no the end of the world.

Congrats on reaching Diamond. We love being Platinum and hope to someday become Diamond. Our granddaughter cruises with us and she reached Platinum when she was 6 yrs old so her chances of being Diamond are pretty good!

Thank you for taking the time to share your Breeze cruise with us. We did a B2B on her when she first arrived in Florida and we fell in love with her.

Congrats on reaching Diamond. We love being Platinum and hope to someday become Diamond. Our granddaughter cruises with us and she reached Platinum when she was 6 yrs old so her chances of being Diamond are pretty good!

Thank you for taking the time to share your Breeze cruise with us. We did a B2B on her when she first arrived in Florida and we fell in love with her.

Thanks for the congrats, both on the Diamond status and the review. The review is winding down, will probably finish it today. Our grandkids cruise with us sometimes (wish it was more), but wow Platinum at 6! We saw that (someone that old being Platinum) get recognized at a past guest party last year. Sure does make a great opportunity on reaching the higher status.

Several posters have mentioned that John Heald has made some reference to splitting (or adding another level, depending on how you look at it) to the Diamond status at some time in the future. We will see what that brings.

Jimbo I see you got a picture of my summer home and weekend vehicle! Nice isn't it:D!

Nice job on the review and congratulations on reaching Diamond status!

Did you book the 3 day CTN on the Vista yet? We're waiting!:)

LOL, nice place! Thanks on both counts. Still working on the wife on the CTN. While she said no a couple of times there is a method to my madness....;) hopefully soon.

So we ended up taking taxi down to Paradise beach and spent the day there. For those who have gone there, nice place with two fees, one (the one we took) was for two chairs and a commit to a $10/person tab for food or bar for a total of $16 (including the tab). There is another more expensive option which includes all the above and the use of all the inflatables in the water and maybe more, boot sure. We were not interested so took the bare bones package. The beach there is OK but a lot of amenities and shade if you are so inclined. Nota and day by any stretch.

We head back to the ship around 2:45, hit the shops at the Puerta Maya pier and then made our way back to the ship.

That afternoon was the return guest party. Because we had obtained the Diamond status we were called up on stage with Matt and the captain with the other diamond couple cruising that week. A picture was taken and delivered to our cabin later on that day. This was the second formal night and we began to understand the American Table and American Feast. The lower level maitre'd stopped over at out table during dinner and was asking what everyone thought of the new menu. During the discussion, she asked if we had tried the rabbit appetizer, everyone said no, she said it was rely good and they have rabbit back in her home country and asked if anyone would like to try. I said sure and within 5 minutes it was sitting in front of me. I have to say it was pretty good.

That night we saw the r rated comedy show with the second comedian. Both were very good. We spent some time at Oceans plaza and went to bed about 12:30.

A little after 4 am, we had the second occurrence of our late night partying neighbors who brought back a (based upon the volume and number of voices at least the best I could tell) team to continue on. This time it brought me out of a sound sleep and went on for about 20 minutes. I was just ready to call guest services, when they all left.

In the morning after our walk I went to guest services to let them know. They advised me to call if it occurred again.

I forgot to mention that when we turned in for the night there was an invitation from the Captain to attend the Diamond event the next afternoon in the Library. This time happened to coincide with cocktail party we were having for our group. There was no way we could miss the party. In the morning we called the RSVP extension and explained the situation. She replied that she would do what she could, but the day was probably to full.

While I understood, we were in fact a little disappointed.

We awoke early as usual and went for walk as usual. After a quick bite to eat out to the aft pool for our last day in the sun.

Everyone must have had the same idea because the chair hogs were out in full force, and or was only 7:30.