Deck 8 Balcony On Dream

Raxter54

DW is wanting to change our cove balcony to a balcony on deck 8 (8260). Being 3

decks above the Lanai, would the balcony be fairly quiet? 8260 is close to the elevators, but the traffic pattern looks like it would be light around our cabin. Does anyone know if noise from the Atrium would be a problem?

Edited by Raxter54

I am curious as to why she wants to get out of the cove balcony. For some people, they have misperceptions about coves. They think that they will be locked out of their balconies, but that very rarely happens; only in extreme conditions. They think that it's way too close to the water, but it's not. They think that it's so closed in that they won't be able to see anything, but that's not true. They worry that they won't be able to get a tan on their cove, but you can't truly get a tan on any balcony (except the uncovered ones), because the sun is too weak when it's at enough of an angle to hit the balconies. They think that the cove will be flooded with water from sea spray, but it's typically just a tiny bit of dampness.

Several other misperceptions are out there as well. Some people are scared to be below the dining room, but that's actually the most perfect spot on the entire ship, because it's empty all night long & it's carpeted when in use. But being below the galley is not a misperception. Some of those (but not all) are noisy from above. If you are below the galley & there are no rooms that aren't below the galley to switch to, then I understand the desire to switch. I think coves not below the galley are the best balconies out there, except the aft wraps. It's awesome to be so close to the water.

But I realize that her reason might not be one of the misperceptions. It's good to look at what is on the lanai below your room, even if you are further up. 8260 is above an extended spot on the lanai. Fortunately, no hot tub in that spot. That's where the giant chess set is. The view of water when looking down is a little more obstructed, because of the extension, but it's probably not that bad. The skinny part of the lanai, more towards the bridge or in the aft part, is an even better spot. Less lanai foot traffic & less view obstruction.

I am curious as to why she wants to get out of the cove balcony. For some people, they have misperceptions about coves. They think that they will be locked out of their balconies, but that very rarely happens; only in extreme conditions. They think that it's way too close to the water, but it's not. They think that it's so closed in that they won't be able to see anything, but that's not true. They worry that they won't be able to get a tan on their cove, but you can't truly get a tan on any balcony (except the uncovered ones), because the sun is too weak when it's at enough of an angle to hit the balconies. They think that the cove will be flooded with water from sea spray, but it's typically just a tiny bit of dampness.

Several other misperceptions are out there as well. Some people are scared to be below the dining room, but that's actually the most perfect spot on the entire ship, because it's empty all night long & it's carpeted when in use. But being below the galley is not a misperception. Some of those (but not all) are noisy from above. If you are below the galley & there are no rooms that aren't below the galley to switch to, then I understand the desire to switch. I think coves not below the galley are the best balconies out there, except the aft wraps. It's awesome to be so close to the water.

But I realize that her reason might not be one of the misperceptions. It's good to look at what is on the lanai below your room, even if you are further up. 8260 is above an extended spot on the lanai. Fortunately, no hot tub in that spot. That's where the giant chess set is. The view of water when looking down is a little more obstructed, because of the extension, but it's probably not that bad. The skinny part of the lanai, more towards the bridge or in the aft part, is an even better spot. Less lanai foot traffic & less view obstruction.

That post really covers everything perfectly. Even though we really wanted the cove balcony for a long time, i was a little worried about all of those things to. I was especially worried that they would close it and we wouldn't get to use it. That never happened. We were told to stay off of it twice for a few hours for routine maintenance, but that was everyone, not just the coves. I was also afraid i wouldn't get any sun, but we did get a little each day, not enough to tan like was said, but i was just looking for some sunshine, so that was great. We were just under the galley too, so that was pretty scary since we were under the galley previously and heard a lot of noise, but this room was really quiet, just got lucky with that. It was the only balcony we ever had, so not much to compare it to, but some friends had a deck 9 balcony, we visited theirs, and they visited our cove. It was nice, and high above the lanai, but they did prefer our cabin, and of course we did as well. ImageUploadedByForums1429183744.461514.jpg.51fd601dd9f555839a150cab24133fe6.jpg

Keep the cove, they are amazing! I would only change if my room was directly under the galley (out of fear of noise). What cove room do you currently have? We were just in 2281 and it was GREAT. The balconies were never closed, that only happens when weather is horrid. There was only dampness on our balcony one day. You are near enough the water to enjoy the sound but not to feel like you are going to be submerged, not even close. The privacy is really nice.

Gonna have to toss in my recommendation as well: keep the Cove. My wife and I have done our share of regular balconies before, finally had an opportunity to get a Cove balcony on the Dream this past January. From now on we're springing for a cove absolutely any chance we get and declining any "upgrade" offers. Coves are bigger (+10 sq ft), quieter, closer to the water, more private, and shaded thanks to those lifeboats above you (which don't obscure vision or anything like that). They're hands down the best balcony we've ever had (haven't had a suite yet).

The cove we currently have booked is 2280, which is located near the front of the Crimson restaurant. We are crusing with our niece and her husband, first timers. They are wanting a higher up deck, so I will probably be giving up my cove to satisfy them. I am such a good human being :rolleyes:

The cove we currently have booked is 2280, which is located near the front of the Crimson restaurant. We are crusing with our niece and her husband, first timers. They are wanting a higher up deck, so I will probably be giving up my cove to satisfy them. I am such a good human being :rolleyes:

You can try to talk them out of moving up, by explaining what we said here, that it's so much better to be close to the water than way high up. But, if they still feel like they want to go higher, for whatever reason, then I understand your willingness to accommodate them. You can read my earlier post for my deck 8 advice. I hope you all have a great cruise.