Anything Special Happening in Ft.Lauderdale?

Socal404

We are cruising from Ft. Lauderdale next March. I've started looking for a pre-cruise hotel for Saturday, March 12. Everything seems to be so expensive. I'm guessing it's spring break time, but would that explain the high prices?:confused:

Any info is appreciated.

We are cruising from Ft. Lauderdale next March. I've started looking for a pre-cruise hotel for Saturday, March 12. Everything seems to be so expensive. I'm guessing it's spring break time, but would that explain the high prices?:confused:

Any info is appreciated.

Americans are a very small percentage of our tourism over the peak months.

The majority of our tourists are from Europe and South America and do not have nor follow a 'spring break'.

I started a similar thread...

We've noticed the same thing--high prices...

We are cruising the week after you, so looking for a hotel the night of March 19...

The hotel we usually use (Springhill Suites) is asking $349 per night right now...so we made a "placeholder" reservation at the Homewood Suites for $188...

Prices are high likely for a number of reasons--Spring Break, the aforesaid convention, etc. However, there is also a possibility that part of it is due to being a year out...A lot of hotels have just come on line with availability (they only accept reservations within a year) and they haven't had a chance to figure it out and settle on pricing--so they start high...

We usually get a good AAA rate at Springhill, but what I noticed on their site is that the quoted AAA rate is actually the SAME as the regular rate--which tells me that they haven't really established rates yet. Marriott also operates the Renaissance on 17th Street...and, traditionally, that property's rates are ALWAYS higher than the Springhill--since it's right in the heart of the action while the Springhill is a little out of the way in Dania Beach next to the freeway...and the Renaissance is a nicer hotel. Yet, right now, they have the Renaissance priced at $319 per night! That, right there, tells me there will be some adjustments coming. It may not mean any prices come down substantially, but it does seem that the Springhill should move somewhere down from the Renaissance...

So, I've got the Homewood in my pocket for $188 on a cancelable rate...And I'll just keep monitoring other hotels...If I see any come down to near or below $188 (I'll take "near" for a nicer hotel and/or better location--but also taking into consideration included shuttles, breakfast, Wifi), then we'll book that and cancel the Homewood...If not, worst case, I have a room for $188...

But, I do not expect rates to drop much below that, if at all...So, my recommendation is to book a refundable rate somewhere RIGHT NOW...and keep watching rates...

BTW, my experience with peak weeks in Fort Lauderdale trying Priceline, etc. is that it is usually fruitless...When hotels can fill up on their own, they don't give away rooms for steals...

Good luck...