Is there a grocery store near FLL port?

Patbeth

Flying in on a redeye in Nov. plane arrives 5 am ish day of cruise.( tickets are booked already. I know this isnt ideal, but this is what our schedule n budget allowed). We are flying on Spirit. they have a 40 lb limit on bags. I would like to reduce expenses for sodas on trip w my kids by getting some fancy grocery store drinks for kiddos, but we wont be able to drag them all the way from Colorado. There are 5 or possibly 6 of us going. Doing research on here I think that a cab is best way to get from airport(FLL) to port (also FLL). Is there a grocery store we can have cab stop to run in and pick up a few items, and then is there a restaurant for breakfast, to also kill some time, we can have cab drop us off that we can then walk to port from? Due to the number of us I know we need 2 cabs. Or could we just rent a car for the morning? How would that work, and would it be ridiculously expensive? Any other ideas people can throw out there ? The cruise leaves on Sat and it is Carnival Conquest if that matters. Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, etc. any of them would work.It doesnt have to be a grocery store.

Edited by Patbeth

You could have a taxi drop you at this mall

http://theharborshops.com/

things you need are there maybe not too early though ;)

This is a great suggestion. I have stayed at the Embassy Suites hotel which is right next door to this shopping plaza. Maybe you can check with the hotel to see if you could jump on their shuttle to the port. It is reasonably priced I think. If so, just have the taxi drop you off at the shopping center and take the shuttle.

I do not believe you can walk to the port. Even if you can, I would not recommend it in a group.

Lester's is near the airport and serves food 24 hrs/day. Go there for a couple of hours (about a $10 taxi ride). Then take a taxi to SE 17th St (about $5 taxi)where you'll find CVS, Publix, Winn-Dixie, and Walgreens before you get to the port (about $10 taxi).

Or hang around the airport a while and then go to the Harbor Shops (about $10 taxi)...Joe's Café opens at 6:30 and Publix opens at 7. Then taxi to port (about $10).

The Carnival terminal is too far to walk to from any stores.

954-777-7777 is the phone number for Yellow Cab.

Edited by royalcruz

We just sailed the Conquest out of FLL. We stayed at the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port. We were able to walk to a Publix Grocery Store. It was about 2 miles each way. So that's not right around the corner. But they had a good selection and we burned a few extra calories before the cruise.

We just sailed the Conquest out of FLL. We stayed at the Courtyard Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port. We were able to walk to a Publix Grocery Store. It was about 2 miles each way. So that's not right around the corner. But they had a good selection and we burned a few extra calories before the cruise.

The cab back (too much to carry) was about $10.

Since you'll have tired kids and luggage, I'd have breakfast at the airport and sit around till 9 ish. Then have your cab stop at the Walgreens on the corner at the port entrance. Grab your soda fast and move on to the terminal.

Mentioned was the shuttle at embassy suites. At $ 6.00 a person, I wouldn't do it.

There are van cabs which hold 5 and bags. With 6 probably 2 cabs are needed.

Since you are talking 2 cabs, fares are going to add up. Now, this might sound expensive, but you can rent a minivan from Alamo for about $100 for the day (and that's the price now, it almost always goes down in the days before, but even if not, still worth it I think). It gives you a base for "Operation Timekiller". It keeps all of you together and a place for your luggage while you are shopping and having breakfast. You can even go for a little sight seeing drive up the beach. The Princess ship will be almost right beside the bridge as you drive over, and the rest of the ships, can be seen further south from there (looks like 4 ships in port that day).

You can go into the port anytime after around 9am and drop all your checked luggage if you wish, and return the van to the airport where the free shuttle will take you back to the port.

Not sure of carnivals policy..but couldn't you buy the soda at your first port of call? Then you don't have that bump in your transportation plan.

If your group is 5 you will have it much easier with one van cab.