Juneau Itinerary on May 20th

Bya

We have a short time in Juneau so just want to check if our plan is doable.

Ā 

This is our plan:

1. Whale Watch

2. Tracy's King Crab Shack (husband says we can't miss eating Alaskan King Crab while in Alaska. Based on numerous reviews, I think this is the best place to be considering the circumstances - I'm still open to other suggestions.)

3. Mendenhall Glacier

Ā 

The ship arrives at port at 6:30AM. Earliest whale watch schedule that I can find is 7:30AM (Harv and Marv). Considering the price, I am going with Juneau Tours which starts at 8:00AM. This is only a 3 hour tour, so we will be back at Downtown by 11AM.

Ā 

Go to Tracy's and indulge in Alaskan King Crab. Then we take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and go from there. Our schedule is pretty much open until we leave port.

Ā 

Initially, my plan was to go straight to Mendenhall after the whale watch. Since the husband requested for king crab, I had to change the plan to accommodate :cool:

Ā 

I am open to other suggestions.

Ā 

This is our plan:

1. Whale Watch

2. Tracy's King Crab Shack (husband says we can't miss eating Alaskan King Crab while in Alaska. Based on numerous reviews, I think this is the best place to be considering the circumstances - I'm still open to other suggestions.)

3. Mendenhall Glacier

Ā 

The ship arrives at port at 6:30AM. Earliest whale watch schedule that I can find is 7:30AM (Harv and Marv). Considering the price, I am going with Juneau Tours which starts at 8:00AM. This is only a 3 hour tour, so we will be back at Downtown by 11AM.

Ā 

Go to Tracy's and indulge in Alaskan King Crab. Then we take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier and go from there. Our schedule is pretty much open until we leave port.

Ā 

Initially, my plan was to go straight to Mendenhall after the whale watch. Since the husband requested for king crab, I had to change the plan to accommodate :cool:

Ā 

Your initial plan was a lot better.

Have you even looked at a map?

The whale watching tours and Mendenhall Glacier are both out of town in the same direction.

Ā 

With this new plan it looks like you would be wasting a lot of time doing unnecessary backtracking.

Can't your husband wait to have his king crab later?

Ā 

Or else sightsee in Juneau in the morning (maybe take the tram ride up the mountain), then have the king crab for lunch and do the whale watching and Mendenhall in the afternoon?

Ā 

Ā 

This is our plan:

1. Whale Watch

3. Mendenhall Glacier

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

What is your port time?

Ā 

You are adding an hour with backtracking, so probably a poor plan. I would only recommend you go direct to Mendenhall from the whale watch, H&M do offer this. Does Juneau tours, have the drop off option? Then return to downtown, for Tracy's. The only way I would suggest, going back and forth would be if you have a 4pm departure.

Another vote for Tracey being last....

• Tracy is at the docks
  • gives you additional time at Mendenhal if you want to walk to Nugget falls
  • those frozen crabs need to thaw....

I would be looking for Mendenhaul Whale watch combo to best take advantage of your time.

Thank you all for your response. Big help and reassuring!

Ā 

I wanted to avoid the crowd at Tracy's so I thought early lunch might hack it. Plus, husband is hungry every 2 hours so I'm afraid he might get grumpy and might not let me enjoy the time at Mendenhall (seems like a long time from breakfast). I do want to explore and do the hike to Nugget. We live in a tropical country and doesn't get any ice. šŸ˜…

BQ, our ship does leave at 4:30PM so I'm thinking I can spare sometime in going back and forth though I will save a few $ by taking the combo tour from Juneau Tours.

On a side note, I am a little amused by their subtle force for me to take on the whale watch glacier combo tour.

Their whale watch only tour is $110. The combo with mendenhall is $120. I read somewhere that it is ideal to get a one way ticket for the shuttles when coming from port because some experienced a long wait at the glacier waiting for either the blue or white bus. If you don't get the round trip ticket, you can hop on, on either bus, whichever comes first and you don't have to wait for your specific bus. So I was thinking to ask if they can drop us off at Mendenhall and we will make our own way back to downtown. I was offered to combo tour. I insisted on the DIY. The got back to me saying that I need to get the $15 one way trip. That will take me from the boat harbor to the glacier. And then, I need to pay again going back downtown - which will now be more expensive! LOL

Ā 

To conclude. We might go with all your suggestions. Doing Tracy's last. Will pack a granola bar or something for the husband šŸ˜†

Thank you all for your response. Big help and reassuring!

Ā 

I wanted to avoid the crowd at Tracy's so I thought early lunch might hack it. Plus, husband is hungry every 2 hours so I'm afraid he might get grumpy and might not let me enjoy the time at Mendenhall (seems like a long time from breakfast). I do want to explore and do the hike to Nugget. We live in a tropical country and doesn't get any ice. šŸ˜…

BQ, our ship does leave at 4:30PM so I'm thinking I can spare sometime in going back and forth though I will save a few $ by taking the combo tour from Juneau Tours.

On a side note, I am a little amused by their subtle force for me to take on the whale watch glacier combo tour.

Their whale watch only tour is $110. The combo with mendenhall is $120. I read somewhere that it is ideal to get a one way ticket for the shuttles when coming from port because some experienced a long wait at the glacier waiting for either the blue or white bus. If you don't get the round trip ticket, you can hop on, on either bus, whichever comes first and you don't have to wait for your specific bus. So I was thinking to ask if they can drop us off at Mendenhall and we will make our own way back to downtown. I was offered to combo tour. I insisted on the DIY. The got back to me saying that I need to get the $15 one way trip. That will take me from the boat harbor to the glacier. And then, I need to pay again going back downtown - which will now be more expensive! LOL

Ā 

To conclude. We might go with all your suggestions. Doing Tracy's last. Will pack a granola bar or something for the husband šŸ˜†

Ā 

The combo tour, may also include the Visitor Center Admission? Some combo tours do. The issue is, EVERY person the vendors drop off/pick up, there is a fee for them to provide this service. The time saved is many times worth this cost. It is a convenience you are paying for, on top of the actual transit.