What seems broken sometimes is misunderstood design

algaes

The first example of this I want to post is the bathtub drain for tubs in Explorer Suite.

DW filled tub to take a bath after a arduous walking day and we could not get the bathtub drain plug to come up. Plus in sinks are depress to close and press lightly to pop up. Tub drain plus looks the same but will not pop. So we put in a repair order.

Today the plumber's come by and show us it worked all the time but was fantastic design. What looks to our American eye as shiny cap over the water overflow point at front of tub is actually dual purpose. Yes it acts as protection from water overflow but the cap actually turns left and right to raise and lower the plug.

Interesting! Great point, algaes.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

The first example of this I want to post is the bathtub drain for tubs in Explorer Suite.

DW filled tub to take a bath after a arduous walking day and we could not get the bathtub drain plug to come up. Plus in sinks are depress to close and press lightly to pop up. Tub drain plus looks the same but will not pop. So we put in a repair order.

Today the plumber's come by and show us it worked all the time but was fantastic design. What looks to our American eye as shiny cap over the water overflow point at front of tub is actually dual purpose. Yes it acts as protection from water overflow but the cap actually turns left and right to raise and lower the plug.

We travelled across Europe last year by coach and came across many of this design throughout, particularly in Italy (total hotels for trip 20). It is very common for the plug control to be a long way from the plug - sometimes it was even a lever!

We've been frustrated by the mini-bar not cooling our complimentary drinks to a cold U.S. temperature. With our past experience with what Europeans consider cold for drinks, we think we're stuck with lukecool soda and water. There is no temperature control in the unit and the persons servicing it each day to replace drinks make no mention of the condition.

Yesterday I notice the bolt from the fridge lock is up and that does not stop the door from "appearing" to be closed. So I open the lock (the keys have been in the door from the beginning) and realize the door goes about 1/4-1/3 of an inch farther under the desktop. Dang, we've had the mini-fridge partially open for over 12 days.

Close the mini-fridge up and lock it properly. Come back a few hours later and items are more than chilled - they are cold!

A case of preconceive notions of Europe shortcircuiting the diagnosis process.

I've been meaning to post this but it keeps slipping my mind. Make sure your toilet seat lid is all the way closed before you flush the toilet, otherwise you get an 'unfortunate' spray. Couldn't figure this out at first until I noticed a jet pointing directly forward. :confused: Anyone else having this issue or is it just us?

I've been meaning to post this but it keeps slipping my mind. Make sure your toilet seat lid is all the way closed before you flush the toilet, otherwise you get an 'unfortunate' spray. Couldn't figure this out at first until I noticed a jet pointing directly forward. :confused: Anyone else having this issue or is it just us?

I think it's an adjustable nozzle. (Two nozzles, actually, I think.) Mention it to your cabin steward, maybe he can aim the thing(s) down a bit. We had something of the . . . um . . . opposite problem, not to go into too much detail.

That is how our tub drain works also

I love these tips. Thanks to all for sharing. I sometimes don't figure out how things work until the day before we're about to check out -- if ever. It's nice to have this info ahead of time, especially because I can only take one bag so I have to leave some of my problem-solving skills behind.