New York departure delay

rula40

Our arrival in New York was fantastic we got up at 4am to see the lights of that marvelous city and it was worth every effort, we had a commentary from the bridge which guided us through to the port.

I did see a small boat pull alongside the QM2 and assumed it was Immigration boarding for the regulatory checks.

When we arrived in port we were informed that there would be a delay as the Immigration computers were down and were being repaired. After an hour or so as we were passengers in transit we were informed that we could go immediately to the passenger terminal and pass through Immigration control. We queued for at least 40 minutes and eventually left the ship at about 10.15am

We got talking to another couple in the queue for immigration who suggested we share a cab to Times Square, We stepped outside the terminal and saw a never ending line of yellow cabs and official warders who directed us to the next available cab. There was also Cunard staff willing to assist if necessary. The journey took some 15 minutes through the heavy traffic and the fare to Times Square was $6,45 for all four of us.

The atmosphere was electric and bustling we walked for a while and decided to shop in Macey’s I saw a couple of NYPD police officers and asked for directions to the store, They told me it was some distance away and suggested I take a bus, We decided to take another cab and was embarrassed when our journey took no more than 5 minutes through heavy traffic and the fare was ;less than $5 I gave the driver $10 and apologized for the short journey.

Macey;s was a shoppers paradise so my wife told me, she spent most of her time in the handbag section whilst I on the advice of a very helpful member of staff walked 3 blocks to B&H electrical store on 420 Ninth Avenue, where I found the cheapest place in the world to purchase an Ipod for my son at less than half the UK price. (See www.bhphotovideo.com for price comparisons).

We also managed to visit Ground Zero a truly moving experience, then it was to Bloomingdales for yet another shopping experience for both our wives whilst both myself and our newly aquatinted friend waited outside. When heavily laden wives burst out of the store we took a yellow cab back to the QM2 just before the required time of 4.45pm ready for departure at 5.45pm.

We went immediately to deck 6 aft and placed two chairs on the raised area behind the Jacuzzi ,which as far as I was concerned was the best place to view the wonderful scene as we left New York.

I was amazed to see a number of armed police and coastguard officials patrolling the decks with AK47’s

We sat and waited, and at 8.30pm an announcement was made over the tannoy to the effect that we were delayed as a result of a non delivery of lobster tails and beef and as soon as the delivery was made we would be sailing .

We waited and waited, it was now dark and there must have been some 40-50 passengers on the deck sitting waiting for the off. I spoke with one of the waiters who was doing a roaring trade in liquid refreshment and asked if he had any news, but he could only reiterate what we had been told some 2 hours earlier, lobster and beef.

It was suggested that we were waiting for Carly Simon to arrive with her entourage

A fellow passenger stopped by where we were sitting and said that he was an ex marine and he had been told that the true reason for our delay was the fact that Immigration had refused to board the QM2 owing to a real security risk, and that the computers were not defective.

I was aware that we were being circled by 2 police helicopters with the search beams full on , also there were 3 police launches again circling the ship. I was fully expecting Bruce WILLIS to appear in a torn and grease stained white vest and save us all.

At approximately 11.45 pm we started to move with no announcement and no explanation, the helicopters and police launches continued to circle the QM2 until we had left the port and were well on our way

Was it lobster tails and beef??? Was it Carly Simon??? Or was it a real security alert???

One thing was for sure it was the most exhilarating and spectacular departure I have ever experienced

At approximately 11.45 pm we started to move with no announcement and no explanation, the helicopters and police launches continued to circle the QM2 until we had left the port and were well on our way

A Midnight Sailing! Lucky you - thats the way they used to do it....until Labour overtime rates put a stop to that......

Peter

If you're in that situation again, another thing to check is the water immediately around the ship. You will likely see divers (I don't know if they are Port Authority or Coast Guard...the former, I think) checking the hull surfaces under the waterline. This should have been even more apparant at night since they would have been using portable lights.

But yes, that sounded like a security alert. No way to tell if it was a real threat, a crank phone call, or some idiot said the wrong thing coming through processing...

Bill

Must have been a worrying time for all on board. And also ships are the greatest place for rumours too I have found!! Who knows what the real reason was. BTW did you get to the see the Carly Simon gig??

Off to worry about something else now!! By the time we get on board I'll have aged another 10 years, grown half a head of grey hair and suffer with stomach ulcers!!!!!

Elaine (who worries every day when daughter gets on Thameslink train to get into work which is near Liverpool Street Station)!!!!!!!

Hi Elaine,

Don’t worry about the security of the QM2 and the safety of the passengers, I am certain that there are very stringent checks made especially in today’s climate, my family too have been directly affected by the recent terror attacks in London and I know what it is like to worry about loved ones

Regarding your comments about aging 10 years and going grey, again don’t worry I suspect that you still be well under the average age of a vast majority of fellow passengers, but PLEASE PLEASE do not join the Botox/Nip tuck and implant club who appeared to be over subscribed

Carly SIMON tickets were on a lottery type allocation we were not successful in the draw, but a very kind American passenger who had been allocated 4 tickets gave us 2 for the first showing. We did attend but unfortunately our view was restricted behind a pillar, so we could only listen. The show we attended had more of a classical theme, but I was informed that later shows included her more recent and popular songs and were very well received.

Rula 40

I'm not into all that botox and nip/tuck stuff. We are what we are I'm afraid (slightly overweight 40 something)!!!! I am not that vain about myself to even worry about plastic surgery. I very rarely wear make up (my husband reckons I don't need it. Don't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult)!!

It's a shame that you didn't get to see Carly. I like her old stuff but over here in the UK we don't really hear that much of her nowadays. She must still be big in the US though.

Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Pleased to hear that you like us prefer the natural look with warts and all, not that I am suggesting you have any!

I am the rolly polly one who always breaths in for photo shots and my wife wears little or no make up, which is why the formal evenings were something different for us and we looked forward to making that special effort, but the magic of that special evening seemed to get lost in the regularity of those formal evenings

I think you could be right, I did hear that another passenger had seen divers around the base of the ship, but I personally only saw the armed guards, and police helicopters and launches. I did not feel uneasy in fact it made me feel more secure.

As a New York City resident I can tell you we have more security scares here than is ever publicized.

A couple of weeks ago several blocks were shut down along with a major transpotation hub. I was on my way to the train station when we were ordered off the trains, the staion evacuated with thousands of people exiting onto the streets. Someone threatened a RR worker with a backback with a bomb in it -- it turned out to be a false alarm(no bomb) but talk about nerves shot! Thsi was the 3rd time its happened while I was in Penn Station.

Th good news was that NYPD & other uniformed forces evacuated evryone quickly & calmly. Several imes in teh last 4 years my plans have needed to be altered because of such incidents.

In 2003 while on QE2 just after the Panama Canal at Fuerte Amador - the ships whistle started to bellow - you knew something was wrong...a pleasure craft (about 30 feet long) was seen approaching the QE2 - then all of a sudden armed guards on a speed boat came along & made the pleasure craft move far away from QE2.

Cunard seems to have decent security - but don't fool yourself into a false security - these are new times here in the US. Keep your eyes open!

Whatever happened w/ QM2 was - I am sure - was a serious response to something.

Please remember our loved ones who passed awy 4 years ago today.

Thanks Rula40 for the info. I thought I missed the ship. I was at my office 2 blocks north of the WTC waiting for the ship to pass by. From my office I can see all ships sailing down the Hudson. Thinking I must of missed it I went home. I hope I will see the ship 9/14

I was on the QM2 11/16/04 sailing roundtrip out of NY to the Caribbean. We had a delayed departure due to the need for additional water as the Captain stated over the PA system.

It is strange that no other announcements were made with regards to your delayed departure. l

I was on the QM2 leaving on the 2nd of Sep, and found that regular announcements kept us updated for departure, although they kept moving the departure 2 hours later several times. I did see the tight security as we watched the departure from the 11th level just below the bridge. When questioned at a Oxford lecture the following day Ambassador Bremer claimed he was not the object nor was he aware of any threat made at the ship. Another passenger at dinner a few day later indicated that they saw 3 contaniers loaded onto the ship around 10:30PM, which may have been the lost food items!

We did find that ship officials were lax in directions often throughout the cruise. People were turned away from the Carly filming as they were not in formal dress yet nothing was mentioned on the tickets, it was just assumed.

Boarding and arrival in Southampton were unorganized.

We found the showers to be very small and A/C to be weak, the beds not very confortable.

Would I go again? In a heartbeat, it was a great experience, food and staff were of a high level and the ship is beautiful.

We were on the QM2 when it came in on 2nd September and we were staying in New York for a few days before flying back to London. That afternoon we decided to walk down to the docks to see the QM2 leaving and to get a few photographs but unfortunately it was severely delayed. Upon talking to some of the staff at the docks we were advised that the delay was due to problems with a food truck being delayed and the truck was not expected to arrive until at least 9pm which, by the time the food was loaded etc. would mean a very long wait to see her leave. We had a lovely view of her from our hotel room window (Mandarin Oriental).

Archived