Anthem review now available!

Please post your review here on CC

I think its a bit long to type out on here, sorry! Overall, I was very impressed, and think that Anthem is a fantastic ship, with so much to offer everyone, if you have a cruised booked on her, be excited!

Amazing Anthem!

So, I have just returned from my weekend on Anthem of the Seas, courtesy of Royal Caribbean (thank you!) and here is my review…

Embarkation - Royal Caribbean have introduced online check in, and are promising “Curb to Cabin” in approx 10 minutes, which, for a ship this size, is quite impressive (when it works) You need to enter all your passport details online then upload a photo of yourself, and upon arrival you can theoretically go straight onboard - they had a few hiccups with this on our embarkation but hey, that’s what a pre-inaugural is all about, to test it all, and I am sure this will be a great feature, especially with 4000 passengers to get on to the ship each turnaround.

First impressions - WOW! This ship is quite frankly, AWESOME. (Well she is American so that is the only word to use!) My main impression was that she is every bit as elegant as the Celebrity Solstice class ships, with lots of beautiful art installations, many lovely areas to relax in, and refined dining areas, but with lots of added “toys” to play with - Anthem is like a gigantic playground for adults and kids alike.

Stateroom - We had a Superior Balcony cabin on Deck 10, and it was really quite roomy, modern decor, comfy beds, (next to the balcony which quite suited us) The shower was powerful, hot, and had a great solid curved style door, no clingy curtain, or escaping water. The cabin felt wider than I am used to, and had plenty of storage. It would easily sleep 3 people, and possibly 4 without problem. We saw loft suites, and inside cabins with ‘virtual balconies’ too!

Dining - Royal Caribbean have had some issues with their new concept “Dynamic Dining” where you have to pre book all your meal times, prior to cruising, and choose between four inclusive restaurants - Chic, American Icon, Grande (always formal) and Silk (Pan Asian). So, to placate those of us who prefer a Traditional dining time, and a set table, and waiter, they have now introduced for Anthem, “Dynamic Dining 2.0″ which means you can choose early or late seating, have the same table companions, and waiter, but here’s the (I think quite genius) twist - you will rotate around the four restaurants throughout your cruise, to experience them all but in a set way. Brilliant! I like this, as it gives you consistency and variety all at the same time, and removes the stress of being at home scheduling your entire holiday before you have even started it.

Technology - Well, Quantum Class is all about the TECH so we need to talk about that! Its quite mind blowing the stuff they have got going on in terms of technology, to say its futuristic is an under statement - in the Press Briefing someone asked “What do you see in the future for the ships?” I thought “You are seeing the future RIGHT HERE!!” Robots can make your cocktail…simply order on the i-pad provided!

We had a “WOW” Band to wear on our wrist, this is a room key, and also enables staff to check you in for things, and take payment for things, we liked it.

Wifi is being offered with packages for $20 a day, for two devices, to keep you connected while at sea, and a “Digital Dashboard” on the ship shows any posts that are tagged #anthemoftheseas

Entertainment - This is where the ship really comes into it’s own - the entertainment being offered is simply world class, we saw “Spectra’s Cabaret” a Cirque Du Soleil style show, in the “Two70″ lounge, which is an airy floor to ceiling windowed area to relax in during the daytime (and offers great lunches too by the way especially the Roast Beef sandwiches) by night, it turns into a theatre beyond belief, with computer panelled windows, that change by the minute to create a mystical world, combined with aerial acrobats and ethereal singing, we thought the show was so great we saw it twice.

In the Royal Theatre, you can see a full production of “We will Rock you” this is the biggest show ever produced for a cruise ship, and is fantastic, we were all on our feet by the end, in raucous applause. It really did ROCK!

Kids - Well, they certainly won’t be bored thats for sure! Another cool feature of this ship is “Seaplex” a large sports style area, that during the day is used for Basketball, Badminton, and Circus Trapeze lessons, and then by night the Bumper cars come out to play, followed by Roller Skating, and then even later, the floor is used as a dance floor so you can boogie the night away. There are also X-box stations, Table tennis, Arcade games, Table football, and a huge Adventure Ocean kids club for all age groups, as you would expect on this ship.

And of course, you can use the “Flow Rider” a familiar feature for Royal Caribbean, or, a new feature if you are brave enough - the i-Fly Ripcord Skydiving simulator - for an instant facelift!

I interviewed some teens on board, who were enjoying the Seaplex activities, and asked them what they thought of the ship, Sam, 16, from Wales, said it was “Amazing” and added “There is so much to do, both indoors and outdoors, its just a great way to spend time with your family without going to Disneyland” I think thats a good thumbs up from the kids then!

Finally, the “North Star” this glass pod offers trips right up to the sky, over the sea (eek) - this incredible innovation is bound to be a popular attraction and you can even arrange special champagne flights too if you are on honeymoon or just feeling romantic!

Overall, I would say this ship offers really great value for money, yes, it is expensive, but, you are getting a 5* hotel experience, with excellent food, and first class entertainment, all in one place. I will hopefully be back, with my family so my kids can enjoy it too.

For all the photos - see my blog!!

For anyone booked on Anthem, or just interested in her, I have just been on for the pre-inaugural cruise, and my review is now live with photos, on my blog which is linked below - enjoy!

great review ...... I really enjoyed reading it.

Did people really dress up formally in the grande ?

great review ...... I really enjoyed reading it.

Did people really dress up formally in the grande ?

We didn't get to experience it, sadly, as we only had two nights, as this was a preview cruise, but I am told it will be strictly formal dress only for that restaurant, every evening, for those who choose to go! We did try some food from Grande, as they were showcasing dishes from all the restaurants, and we got some amazing filet mignon, it was huge, and cut like butter! Delicious...

We didn't get to experience it, sadly, as we only had two nights, as this was a preview cruise, but I am told it will be strictly formal dress only for that restaurant, every evening, for those who choose to go! We did try some food from Grande, as they were showcasing dishes from all the restaurants, and we got some amazing filet mignon, it was huge, and cut like butter! Delicious...

Thanks Lou Lou ..... my favourite !!