Update on Infinity Norovirus?

Ken1359

Hi,

norovirus is a nasty virus - we did catch it on one of the cruises few years ago - not much fun...... we did most of the right things to avoid it, frequent hand washing, sanitizers ( they do not do much or anything to kill the virus) ...... but we did eat in the buffet few times ( so did Captain Johnny - have seen him there few times) .

I respect Bruce's recommendation - he must have seen more cases of Noro than anyone on this board, and he must have gotten more info and training than any of us ....... in addition to his ship's experience I think he also works for CDC.

If someone is interesting to learn more - please click on the link below :

http://www.emetophobiahelp.org/norovirus.html

I am a doctor. I have worked in infectious disease units. I continue to provide advice to aged care facilities who suffer norovirus updates. I am up to date with the latest research.

Bruces "rules" are only partly true, and are therefore partly false.

But carry on worshipping your false idols.

I am a doctor. I have worked in infectious disease units. I continue to provide advice to aged care facilities who suffer norovirus updates. I am up to date with the latest research.

Bruces "rules" are only partly true, and are therefore partly false.

But carry on worshipping your false idols.

Hi doctor,

if you can see where Bruce is wrong - why don't you correct him on this board, so the rest of us can see what is right and what is not..... and we can do the right thing to protect ourself.

What I can't really understand is WHY do so many passengers go to extreme lengths too avoid using the Hand Sanitizers ? Why can't the cruiseline enforce their use? Afterall it can reduce the risks of the virus spreading affecting many more people.

[/center]

I don't understand it either. I think it's rather comforting to know that people are using the hand sanitizer after touching elevator buttons, railings, and who knows what else, before handling serving utensils......just because. Not everything is about preventing Noro. ;)

Hi doctor,

if you can see where Bruce is wrong - why don't you correct him on this board, so the rest of us can see what is right and what is not..... and we can do the right thing to protect ourself.

Why? I've already pointed out some errors, I have no need to totally demolish his post.

Yet others want to deify him, why would I persist in the face of that?

Edited by Adidas4fun

Why? I've already pointed out some errors, I have no need to totally demolish his post.

Yet others want to deify him, why would I persist in the face of that?

Hi Doc, I am an Astronaut as well !

Maybe hand sanitizers aren't effective against Norovirus but they are proven to be very effective against most common infectious diseases. Not all sickness outbreaks onboard ship are linked to norovirus, that is why people should use the hand sanitizers especially on entry to buffet and dining areas.

I would say use them or deny them entry, simple.

Just off Infinity and the self-service in the Oceanview was only restored in the last 4-5 days of the cruise which departed San Diego on April 13th, after a Norovirus outbreak on the prior cruise which affected approximately 5% of the passengers. Staff was everywhere with the hand sanitizer, the elevators were staffed with employees wearing gloves, disinfecting and pushing the buttons at least for the first 3-4 days of the cruise, and tables, railings, etc were wiped down constantly.

I do believe there may have been some illness on this cruise as well but it was likely very limited. We met many, many people and no one knew or heard of anyone who got sick.

Enjoy your cruise on Infinity!

Originally Posted by mickey89 View Post

What I can't really understand is WHY do so many passengers go to extreme lengths too avoid using the Hand Sanitizers ? Why can't the cruiseline enforce their use? Afterall it can reduce the risks of the virus spreading affecting many more people.

[/center]

Maybe some people are allergic to hand sanitizers or just have other reasons for not wanting to use them. You cannot force people to use hand sanitizer. Just in case we are on the same cruise, fair warning, I will not be using the hand sanitizer. I will wash my hand carefully and often though.