Key Largo???

woozlebear

BlueHeron, now you're scaring me. If I run into grass while diving I can be fined! Wow...

I'm happy to hear Pennecamp is still in good shape. My DH learned to dive there about 30-40 yrs ago. I can't wait to check it out. Do any of you have a dive op you'd recommend? Another friend here at work had a bad experience diving in the Keys. He said the DM basically just drops you off and doesn't even dive with you.

Thank you everyone else for the ideas. I'm thinking of changing hotels now. I'll check out the others you recommended, but I did get a deal on the Holiday Inn and it was close to Pennecamp.

How long is the drive from Key Largo to Key West?? I haven't gotten far in my planning yet. The toll roads also scare me. How many from MIA to Key Largo?

Hahaha! No, if you are boating and destroy sea grass you are fined!

We always take our own stuff and don't use a dive shop so I'm not sure. I would call a few and talk to them and explain your concerns.

Key Largo to Key West is probably three hours. Don't let the toll roads scare you.

MIA to Key Largo is probably 40 minutes. Down here we tell you distances in times not miles:D

We are spending 4 days in Key Largo Pre-cruise in September in mid September.

Booked the Keys Shuttle. $180 round trip for the two of us from FLL. They drop off and pick up right at the hotel. Our hotel is a low cost bit of a dive, but we are fine with that, as we are not fancy people.

We have booked:

a) A kayak excursion (less than 5 minute walk from hotel) Day 1

b) A fishing excursion (across the highway from the hotel) Day 2

c) A snorkel excursion (15 minute walk from the hotel) Day 3

Restaurants are all close by as well. So I saw no need for a rental car. We will simply relax and stay within close distance of the hotel unless something really calls out to us. Looking forward to this time as a build up to the cruise.

Don

This is a HUGE mistake. You are going to be stuck in Key Largo and Key Largo is spread out, and there are things you will miss in Islamorada and the other keys you should get out and see.

Sidewalks and safe places to walk along side the road are non existent. There simply isn't room and it isn't really safe to walk on the shoulder of the road.

I think you are setting yourself up for a miserable trip by not renting a car.

Low cost dives are all over the keys and are pretty great. By not having a car you will not even be able to go to the grocery store. I'm sure your motel room has a kitchenette at the very least. September is our dead season, I'm sure you got a great deal on the motel.

I can't think of any other places anywhere that would be worse to be without a car. Please rethink this.

Edited by BlueHerons

This is a HUGE mistake. You are going to be stuck in Key Largo and Key Largo is spread out, and there are things you will miss in Islamorada and the other keys you should get out and see.

Sidewalks and safe places to walk along side the road are non existent. There simply isn't room and it isn't really safe to walk on the shoulder of the road.

I think you are setting yourself up for a miserable trip by not renting a car.

Low cost dives are all over the keys and are pretty great. By not having a car you will not even be able to go to the grocery store. I'm sure your motel room has a kitchenette at the very least. September is our dead season, I'm sure you got a great deal on the motel.

I can't think of any other places anywhere that would be worse to be without a car. Please rethink this.

I completely agree. We could see the entrance to John Pennecamp State Park from our hotel and there wouldn't have been any way to walk there. About the only place we could walk was the restaurant two driveways over from our hotel, on the same side of Route 1. The traffic is absolutely crazy.

oh posh ... you guys don't know how to explore the 'old keys' having been Key West'ed . . .

stay away from any 'chain' in Key Largo

there are DOZENS of mom and pop places that are groups of old Key's houses turned into motels . . . most are on the Gulf side and offer SWIMMING, fishing and even boat dockage . . .

This is my current fav'

http://www.hungrypelican.com/

A car is nice but several restaurants are a short walk away . . .

mn_PICT0361.jpg

mn_BeachDazeWaterView1.jpg

mn_Frontentrance1.jpg