Debit card theft. Norwegian Sky

HazeBombtastic

My bank already knows. Its $780.. I just wanted to collect as much information as I can to help the process go quicker.

Okay... I didn't mean to be abrupt with you... just that from your post it sounded as if you called everyone except your bank. I apologize if I came off wrong.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

The banks are still squabbling over what style reader the pin and chip cards for Visa and M/C etc will have. Merchants are not going to line up a row of different style machines and until the big banks etc can get an agreement as to style, U.S. will be slow in having majority pin and chip.

As someone who deals with this on a daily basis - and with respect to all the fabulous information you've shared across many, many postings - this is incorrect. While your bank can suggest that you file a police report (which is mostly for your own peace of mind), or even request that you file a police report (typically done when they think a claim of fraud may not be truthful), they cannot require you to. The Electronic Fund Transfer Act, implemented via Regulation E, requires only that you notify your financial institution timely (by law, within 60 days of your receipt of the statement that contains the unauthorized charges). If you live (or your account is domiciled) in Massachusetts, the timeframe extends to 4 years.

You can make the initial notification by phone (and with some banks, via their online banking system); in some cases you may also be required to notify in writing (normally using a form they send after you've originally reported the issue).

"Reg E," as it's called, also limits your liability (the amount varies, depending on when you notify), although any decent bank waives that and will not hold you responsible for any unauthorized transactions on your debit card.

To steal a line from the dearly departed Sy Syms, "An educated consumer is our best customer." :)

Well said!

My bank already knows. Its $780.. I just wanted to collect as much information as I can to help the process go quicker.

I certainly can understand your frustration. You want to get to the bottom line, you want the thief to be caught. Chances are, the thief will not be caught. Even if you file a police report, they will not investigate. Let your bank deal with it. You are protected from unauthorized charges.

Get some sleep, you will be okay. :)

The banks are still squabbling over what style reader the pin and chip cards for Visa and M/C etc will have. Merchants are not going to line up a row of different style machines and until the big banks etc can get an agreement as to style, U.S. will be slow in having majority pin and chip.

No they won't be slow... Not for long anyway. Come fall 2015, US laws will put the burden of proof on the entity with the least formidable technology.

This isn't about style. The technology behind smart cards is well defined. It's the underlying infrastructure which is up for grabs...meaning there is a dollar to be made on this...ergo, competition.

The law is forcing the banks to **** or get off the pot. We'll see though... Proof is in the pudding...

I certainly can understand your frustration. You want to get to the bottom line, you want the thief to be caught. Chances are, the thief will not be caught. Even if you file a police report, they will not investigate. Let your bank deal with it. You are protected from unauthorized charges.

Get some sleep, you will be okay. :)

The Detective worked my case for two months. I know for a fact because he followed up with me all the time. Of course it was a friend, so that may be the reason. :cool:

We just got replacement Capital One cards which now have the chip in them.

Bummer I just got mine too, but it is the old style. FWIW -- I had no problem using my non-chip card in Europe in any of the shops I used it in. I didn't try it in ticket vending machines though.

Seriously?

You questioned the cabin steward? What did you say to her?

Or did you walk by whispering under your breath to each other about what a pilfering thief she was?

I wonder why you're so busy peeking into other staterooms, hmm? Maybe we should check your pockets...

Are you serious? The reason we noticed is because we would say hi to the other stewards helping her as we walked by and sometimes they would be standing outside an open door so it was hard not to notice. We don't go around looking into cabins with open doors which is what you are implying.

And who said we blamed her for anything? I never did. I said that we chuckled and joked because of all the bs we read on this very board blaming stewards for pilfering through cabins on a weekly basis. I just wanted the OP to know what we observed on a few occasions. Thank you for being so judgmental. Maybe you should check yourself before you reply to a harmless post in the future.