NCL Epic Disembarkation - Rome

I know there are a ton of threads out there already about disembarkation, and I have gone through LOTS of them, but still have a few questions - as well as some general ones as this will be my first NCL cruise! :)

We dock at 6am. Our flights are at 11:55am from FCO to the US. It sounds like (from other posts) if we self-disembark and ask for early tags, we should be okay to get off ship pretty quickly, although I think I read on the NCL website that we should plan for 2 hours. My question is that if we want to reserve a private car, how do we know what time to tell them? Are people just guessing and hoping for the best? Thoughts on booking a private car for 7:30am?

Also, does anyone have any private car recommendations? I heard that taxis might be few and far between, but not sure how true that is...

Lastly, we are not doing excursions in Cannes or Mallorca. None of them on the NCL website look like they have amazing reviews, but if you had a good experience, please let me know - along with any "must-dos" that are on the ship as well. Thank you so much in advance!

I know there are a ton of threads out there already about disembarkation, and I have gone through LOTS of them, but still have a few questions - as well as some general ones as this will be my first NCL cruise! :)

We dock at 6am. Our flights are at 11:55am from FCO to the US. It sounds like (from other posts) if we self-disembark and ask for early tags, we should be okay to get off ship pretty quickly, although I think I read on the NCL website that we should plan for 2 hours. My question is that if we want to reserve a private car, how do we know what time to tell them? Are people just guessing and hoping for the best? Thoughts on booking a private car for 7:30am?

Also, does anyone have any private car recommendations? I heard that taxis might be few and far between, but not sure how true that is...

Lastly, we are not doing excursions in Cannes or Mallorca. None of them on the NCL website look like they have amazing reviews, but if you had a good experience, please let me know - along with any "must-dos" that are on the ship as well. Thank you so much in advance!

Getting off by 7:30 could be tight. It all depends on customs and clearance of the ship.

I would be more concerned about trying to get a private car booked. Some people in the threads are reporting that the big companies are already booked up. I know for our group departing this day I booked several months ago.

There are many wonderful private tour companies in Cannes for hire that will take you along the coast to Eze, Niece and Monaco if that interests you.

There is really not enough time in Mallorca to really do anything since they revised the departing times in a few of the ports.

Hey there, I'm on the same itinerary and have a flight at 11:20am. Stefano's RomeCabs is set to pick me up at 7:45am, which I have to assume that the company is very familiar with the port there and what time passengers actually get off ships. That said the company recommended a pickup time of three hours before departure, so already I have a half hour buffer.

Rome is the less busy port of disembarkation for the Epic with approximately 25% of the ship. It should be pretty smooth to do a walk off with hand-carry luggage.

Last year we used Bob's Limos out of Rome to the cruise port and from the port to the FCO - great service, good prices. I think the drive to the airport was about an hour or so you should have plenty of time even if you got picked up at 8. http://www.romelimousines.com/transfer-services/from-civitavecchia/

Edited by labbro58

Thanks, both! I didn't know about Bob's or Stefano's so ended up booking through Rome Shuttle Service. They have great reviews, just not as many as Bob's.

tdedj1 - if you get a chance, please share how it went! Safe travels!

Once the ship is cleared by customs if you choose easy walk off you can just walk off straight away. The easy walk offs are announced before the passengers who have checked their luggage are allowed off. Hopefully with the reduced engine capacity we will still get into Rome on time. (Which is probably why they are leaving Naples an hour earlier.)

Since the reduced port times Cannes have reduced their number of excursions available. Very limited at the moment and Palma is showing none are available. Perhaps they are still negotiating times and more will become available.

Palma is worth a visit. The Malecon is lovely, beaches, water front restaurants and the town itself is pretty. There's also a large castle to see. The ship runs a shuttle for a fee into the town, but if you like walking that's doable too.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I would also suggest that your join your ship's roll call. You may find suggestions, and even fellow passengers looking to share a tour. Many of your fellow passengers will be embarking in Barcelona, so you may also want to look on their roll call, for tour sharing.

Cheers

Adam

When we disembarked it took us 2 hours to get to the airport. i booked Rome in Limo it they were prompt and nice comfortable vehicles look at reviews on trip ad visor we used this company for all our tours and transportation in Italy and never had a problem

We booked a car through Share a Shore Excursion and had the driver pick us up at the port, in Rome, at 8am. We arrived at the airport at 9:10. There were only around 400 people disembarking our cruise in Rome. The majority had boarded in Barcelona. We also used Share a Shore Excursion in Florence/Pisa. I would highly recommend them.

Our original flight home was booked for 1:30 but we managed to get on the earlier flight at 11:30 from FCO.

Have booked Civitavecchia Cab Service (web @ civitavecchiacabservice.com) upon recommendations from friends. Pick up right outside of ship and you can check website to determine if you want separate car or shared van.

Just be careful - traffic in Italy can be mad and if there is GF an accident on the main road to Rome you WILL be in trouble. Allow 2.5 hours to get tot airport (Breakdowns etc) I hate sitting at Airports but it is better than missing my flight!!

Once the ship is cleared by customs if you choose easy walk off you can just walk off straight away. The easy walk offs are announced before the passengers who have checked their luggage are allowed off. Hopefully with the reduced engine capacity we will still get into Rome on time. (Which is probably why they are leaving Naples an hour earlier.)

Since the reduced port times Cannes have reduced their number of excursions available. Very limited at the moment and Palma is showing none are available. Perhaps they are still negotiating times and more will become available.

Palma is worth a visit. The Malecon is lovely, beaches, water front restaurants and the town itself is pretty. There's also a large castle to see. The ship runs a shuttle for a fee into the town, but if you like walking that's doable too.

I noticed the excursions were missing that were previously listed. But when I called to ask about it they said the one I wanted (Monte Carlo & Monaco) was still available to book. Not sure why its not showing up online.