Ambergris Caye Timing Issue

Calebo

We are looking for a day trip to Ambergris Caye, we will be on the Celebrity Equinox during the end of Feb 2016.

I have found the excursion on various websites, but.... we will be in Belize from 9:30 - 6:00.

The websites list various times,but also says: Be aware that local time in Belize may be 1 to 2 hours earlier than your ship.

On one website the departure time for the tour is 6:45,7:45.8:45 9:45, there is another website that include 11:45. I am wondering if anyone has done this, and found this time do-able.

The excursion is listed as 5 1/2 hours, so the late departure of the tour may be cutting it too close, and the early one, we are wondering if we would make it by that time.

I hope this makes sense to any one reading.

You might want to call Celebrity regarding the port time. If it is adjusted to port time and also the excursion you are looking at are port time, this could be close.

I hope this works out for you!

Here is a link to the thread with my post about visiting Ambergris Caye by air. At the end is Mitsugirly's post with a link in her signature line to her post about going through the cruise ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189743

Belize is on Eastern Time but doesn't change for daylight savings time, hence the confusion about time, especially when departing from Texas which is on Central Time. Some ships (like our Princess cruise) adjust ship time to match local time, and some do not. Therefore, it is important to know what your particular ship time is.

I agree with you that 11:45, though perhaps possible, might cause some unnecessary anxiety. I think 7:45, 8:45 and 9:45 would be safest, but which particular one is perfect for you will depend on ship time. Don't forget you will need 20-30 minutes to tender ashore.

Cruise passengers are the bread and butter of most of these businesses, and they run a tight schedule that includes being very aware of when your ship is scheduled to arrive and depart. Just do some homework by reading reviews, choose a reputable one, and you will be fine.

Thanks for replying. We are on a Celebrity cruise, and I think they change to local time, but we are not booked into Belize until 9:30. When I spoke to Shore Trips, they said they could do a 10:45 timing for us, as there will probably be a plane full, as we are a group of 16, ( some will choose not to do this excursion).

One of our group is a diver, so will also have to check if there is time for him to do a dive or if he should make his own arrangements elsewhere. The rest of us will be satisfied with a shopping/beach day, possible a amateur snorkel from the beach.

That gives us an hour to get tendered in and meet up with our guide. The tour states 5 1/2 hours,

so I'm assuming that will give us a bit of time at both ends, as we are in port until as we are in port until 6:pm.

I will continue reading reviews and clear up the timing. Plus get a written guarantee, if possible, from Shore Trips to make it back to the ship on time.

BTW I am also a TA, so they really won't want a bad review.

Thank you very much for your input, much appreciated!!

Edited by Calebo

Here is a link to the thread with my post about visiting Ambergris Caye by air. At the end is Mitsugirly's post with a link in her signature line to her post about going through the cruise ship:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2189743

Belize is on Eastern Time but doesn't change for daylight savings time, hence the confusion about time, especially when departing from Texas which is on Central Time. Some ships (like our Princess cruise) adjust ship time to match local time, and some do not. Therefore, it is important to know what your particular ship time is.

I agree with you that 11:45, though perhaps possible, might cause some unnecessary anxiety. I think 7:45, 8:45 and 9:45 would be safest, but which particular one is perfect for you will depend on ship time. Don't forget you will need 20-30 minutes to tender ashore.

Cruise passengers are the bread and butter of most of these businesses, and they run a tight schedule that includes being very aware of when your ship is scheduled to arrive and depart. Just do some homework by reading reviews, choose a reputable one, and you will be fine.

Central Time Zone

Belize · Time Zone

Belize is on central time but doesn't change for daylight savings time.