Cruises with Indonesian Ports of Call

I was there last week on the same cruise as Esilef. Bali has never been on our to go places but as it was on the itinerary I wasnt prepared to not get off the ship. Hubby was the opposite he had no intention of getting off but in the end decided to give it a go. As already said the tender process was ridiculous. The TD had told us it was a 45 minute ride each way, where in fact going over we timed it at 13 minutes on a fast tender and on the way back 25 mins on the ships own slower tender. I had pre booked a driver and kept in touch with him via sms of our delay. We eventually got into his car at 10.45am he took us out into the country area, not as far as we had planned but due to the late arrival we had no option but to modify our plans. we went to a silver making area, a temple, village, waterfall, and drive through the rice fields. no lunch stop and we had to start heading back to the ship at 2pm as we wanted to be back by 3pm giving an hour for any dramas as our last tender was 4pm or 4.15pm depending on which piece of paperwork you read. At this moment I would say I never want to return to bali but feel I am being a bit unfair as we were only on land 4 hours. The markets at the port were nothing like i had ever experienced, people pushing us around, forcing items into our faces, demanding we buy and no taking no for an answer!!!! I could have spent a lot of $ there on my grandchildren as items were cheap but the harasment by the sellers was all too overwhelming for me and i just had to escape into the port which was manned by police.

We took items for the local children which is what we always do when going to the sth pacific. the kids were screaming at us for more more more, something i can only assume they learned from their parents. hubby was actually more understanding than i was as he says they are all trying to make a living for their family but I just wanted to get out of there.

Maybe I will give Bali another chance but if i do it will probably be to one of those luxury compound areas where the locals cant get me. perhaps a couple of days out with a driver into the far distant country areas. I have always preferred to spend time with the locals but not in bali ever again.

Have done a lot of sth pacific cruising and thought i had been there enough but not after last week in bali, cant wait to go back to those beautiful humble people and their lovely children who know how to say thank you and not force themselves on us.

Komodo island we also stayed on the ship due to health issues I wasnt able to get off. It also was a very hot day. Those i spoke to said they were glad they had got off but wouldnt bother going again. Having a day on the ship in beautiful surroundings was wonderful.