Which princess - Star or Island ??

kazda

I've had some great advice on this forum, so I'm back again.

We have settled on the Princess line for our 2016 cruise, departing either 21 May on Coral Princess or the 28 May on Star Princess out of Whitter to Vancouver.

Is one ship better over the other or are they both about the same in relation to public viewing from the deck, amentities etc.

We were thinking of 28th May on Star Princess, but if the Coral Princess is a much better ship we would be happy with a 21 May departure also

Not sure if there would be much of a difference between the two cruise dates in terms of scenery, weather etc but any info would be appreciated.

PS. Don't want to confuse the issue, but the Island Princess departs on 18 May, of which I think the departure date is a bit too early re scenery etc and tours, but happy to also accept any advice if the Island Princess is the better out of all 3 ships.

Thanks

Karen

Edited by kazda

Surprised no replies yet, so I'll offer a bit more info.

Either way, we are looking at a mini-suite and on the Star Princess those cabins are only located on Deck 9 - Dolphin Deck. I have since read that the mini suites balcony will be exposed to the 2 decks above due to the balcony not being covered.

The Coral princess mini-suites appear to be scattered through the ship and not restricted to a certain deck. Not sure if they have a covered balcony. ??

Would the 21st May cruise on Coral Princess be too early in the season or OK, as we would prefer a balcony with a cover

Edited by kazda

We have cruised AK on the Coral and loved it. We have also been on the Diamond and HAL's Veendam and Amsterdam. Princess and HAL both do AK well. Of the 3 ships that you mention I would go with the Coral. There are both covered, open, and partially covered balconies on the Coral. Most Aloha and Baja balconies are fully covered; some Aloha balconies have a large overhang; Caribe balconies are larger and partially covered; Dolphin balconies are uncovered and can be seen from other decks.

We have cruised AK in May and early June. There is still lots of snow on the mountains which is beautiful. The trade-off is that wildlife is less plentiful. You will see whales but not as many and you won't see salmon at all. Wildlife is more plentiful later in the season.

Will be on the Star leaving Vancouver on May 21, 2016. Was one of the first ships we cruised on. Can not remember much about her BUT We will enjoy our trip no matter what ship we are on. Hope to see you in passing.

We cruised Alaska on the Star. We had a mini suite on Dolphin. They are uncovered & can be seen from above. There are some mini suites on emerald deck but they are at the front of the ship or at the back. Not very many. We loved the star. Plenty of viewing places.

Debbie

My caution is about the dates. If your plan includes land travel, specifically a visit to Denali, keep in mind that the park road doesn't open fully until 6/10, to Eielson Visitor Center on 6/1.

Thanks for the info, but we are not doing land travel, Denali etc

We cruised Alaska on the Star. We had a mini suite on Dolphin. They are uncovered & can be seen from above. There are some mini suites on emerald deck but they are at the front of the ship or at the back. Not very many. We loved the star. Plenty of viewing places.

Debbie

thanks for the info, did it feel like the eyes of the world were staring down on you when you were on your balcony. ?

Or as every balcony on Dolphin is exposed (and not just yours) it didn't really matter. I guess another concern if it rains you don't have any shelter on your balcony.

Also, are a lot of the viewing places on the decks through blue Perspex or open. ?

Karen

Edited by kazda