How to get off shop earlier on port days?

dana r.

For tender ports with no ship excursions purchased and no priority for tender lines. We have always been able to get off around 11am (three hours after tendering starts) with not much wait.

Just know that ships use a ticket system to know who's where in line. If your whole group wants to be together, they have to arrive together. No getting tickets for others.

Thanks Sadie, do I assume that it is best to allow about 3 hours for the return tender back to the ship?

On these boards I have read MANY reports of tendering causing delays.

Perhaps not an issue in the Caribbean, but when you are on a destination-heavy cruise (such as the Mediterranean), you'd better believe that a delay of an hour or two makes a HUGE difference in what you are able to see and plan for the day.

Also, cruise lines will try to subtly (or not so subtly) "suggest" that tour passengers get off first, even in non-tender ports. Don't believe them. There's nothing to stop you getting off the ship once it is cleared.

On Princess, no announcement was made to the cabin speakers. I waited a long time for an announcement that never came. Finally Mom asked a crew member in the hall if we are allowed off the ship yet. After the cruise, my TA, who sailed over 45 times on 11 cruise lines, said they are all like that.

Your TA is very mistaken. Hopefully that is the only information (s)he is passing out that is not correct.

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks Sadie, do I assume that it is best to allow about 3 hours for the return tender back to the ship?

3 hours to tender where? I wouldn't port more than 60 minutes in any tender port- at least getting from port back to ship. The tenders will run steadily, as fast as possible, particularly as the sail away time approaches. Can't think of the last port to ship tender situation where we have waited more than 10-15 minutes.