Flying from London to Bali and then from Osaka to London

Jarronwood

We are booked for a cruise in March which starts in Bali and ends at Osaka (Kyoto) and I am trying to arrange flights myself rather than via the cruise consultant.

I have made a dummy run with Singapore Airlines from London to Bali (changing at Singapore) and then from Kyoto back to London, again changing at Singapore. The price for the two of us is very reasonable.

However, is there a better way to get home to London from Osaka with maybe another airline. I have tried other airlines and one way or the other they will all stop somewhere en route and it maybe that it is best to stop at Singapore again.

Going from London to Singapore is a 3.5 hour stopover - the way back is a bit more (in fact there are several options of both journeys on length of stop over but my question is once you change at Singapore do you

(a) have to pick up your bags and check in again?

(b) will the bags just get transferred to the other plan to Bali?

AND

with the stop over whether one hour of 6 hours can you actually exit the airport or do you have to stay in the airport?

And finally, if you do have to stay "portside" is there anywhere that my husband can have a cigarette.

I would very much appreciate some help with this - I could ask my cruise consultant but think it a bit cheeky when we are probably going to arrange our own flights.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Changi Airport in Singapore has always been rated the best airport in the world--for everything. There is so much to do in transit. You can rent a room within the secure area if you want to rest or you can swim (yes there is a pool and changing rooms within the airport) or visit the garden or see a movie. If your layover is long enough (5 + hours) you can take a city tour. If you are flying on a single airline and/or on a single ticket, you luggage will be transferred from one flight to the other.

See this website for ideas: http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/recommended-transfer-experiences;jsessionid=862AA63FD74010B96883A9AA710DC9A6

We are booked for a cruise in March which starts in Bali and ends at Osaka (Kyoto) and I am trying to arrange flights myself rather than via the cruise consultant.

I have made a dummy run with Singapore Airlines from London to Bali (changing at Singapore) and then from Kyoto back to London, again changing at Singapore. The price for the two of us is very reasonable.

However, is there a better way to get home to London from Osaka with maybe another airline. I have tried other airlines and one way or the other they will all stop somewhere en route and it maybe that it is best to stop at Singapore again.

Going from London to Singapore is a 3.5 hour stopover - the way back is a bit more (in fact there are several options of both journeys on length of stop over but my question is once you change at Singapore do you

(a) have to pick up your bags and check in again?

(b) will the bags just get transferred to the other plan to Bali?

AND

with the stop over whether one hour of 6 hours can you actually exit the airport or do you have to stay in the airport?

And finally, if you do have to stay "portside" is there anywhere that my husband can have a cigarette.

I would very much appreciate some help with this - I could ask my cruise consultant but think it a bit cheeky when we are probably going to arrange our own flights.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Jarronwood

I would go through Singapore to get to Bali, and look at maybe going through Hong Kong on your return flight to the UK.

Many airports in Asia have 'smoking rooms' set aside for those who need them.

Changi airport is amazing and as mentioned has a tour into the city for those on a longer stopover. The airport at Hong Kong is pretty special too. You can get a room to sleep in or have a shower to refresh yourselves. There is plenty of information on the them if you have a quick google.

If it was at all possible, I would try to fly into Bali a couple of days early so you could acclimatise to the tropical weather after a cold UK winter, get over jet lag and to enjoy this fun and fascinating island.

We did an Azamara cruise that finished in Bali this year and it was fabulous. Enjoy your planning!

We intend having 3 nights in Bali pre cruise but knowing where to stay is a mine field.

Spending time now looking at hotels in Bali - question is which area will be better for us.

We want a hotel that will be quiet but somewhere we can just step out of the hotel to find ourselves in a melee of shops and restaurants.

We have organised a tour with a reputable company on one of our days leaving the other 2 days pretty much to ourselves.

Any suggestions on where we must go would be really helpful.

We intend having 3 nights in Bali pre cruise but knowing where to stay is a mine field.

Spending time now looking at hotels in Bali - question is which area will be better for us.

We want a hotel that will be quiet but somewhere we can just step out of the hotel to find ourselves in a melee of shops and restaurants.

We have organised a tour with a reputable company on one of our days leaving the other 2 days pretty much to ourselves.

Any suggestions on where we must go would be really helpful.

G'day again Jarronwood.

Oh where to start?!?!:eek:

1. 5*~ The Padma Resort , Legian - a beautiful resort oasis next to the beach. Outside in Padma st and Garlick lane are all the restaurants, bars and shops that you would need in the 3 days you are there. Walkable to the hustle of Legian st and Kuta square. If your budget runs to it a lagoon pool room is a real treat.

2. 4:5*~ The Ramada Bintang Resort, South Kuta - another lovely resort on the beach. A ten minute walk to Kuta Square (or cheap taxi ride)where you will pass many Bars, restaurants, Waterbom water park and Discovery Plaza. Our 'basic' ground floor room was just lovely.

3. 3-4*~ Bali Gardens Hotel, South Kuta - an older more original style Balinese Hotel close to lots of great bars, restaurant, shops, Kuta square and the fabulous Mata Hari shop (especially if you love shoe shopping!!) This is a great spot to get to everywhere you want to go. It is an older hotel and a lower priced room is basic, so an up grade is the go, but this ones all about location.

4. 4*~ Griya Santrian, Sanur - this is a gorgeous Boutique hotel on the Eastern side of Bali. It is a much more quieter pace than Kuta/Legian/Seminyak but have some great bars and restaurants. Many Europeans stay here. It has 3 pools and a gorgeous beach area on which to relax. Basic breakfast included, but there are plenty of places to grab tucker around. not heaps of shops, but if it's just the basic singlets, sarongs and t shirts, there are plenty of stalls along the beach front.

Finally the new go to hotel in Bali ATM is the Stones in Kuta. Many people I know have stays there, but I haven't.....yet:D it's not on the beach, but it's not far from Padma st and Garlick lane and the are some great restaurants around the back of the hotel and a quick walk to the always entering Legian st and Poppies lane.

Hope this helps a little bit;)

Very many thanks for these suggestions - Ill have a look at these tonight after work - having a pool access room sounds wonderful but a little more than I had intended paying. Just wondering whether it would be worth it in view of the fact that we arrive on Saturday about 6 pm, SUnday will be a free day for us and on Monday we have arranged a driver to show us the island and then we board the ship on the Tuesday.

:confused::)

Very many thanks for these suggestions - Ill have a look at these tonight after work - having a pool access room sounds wonderful but a little more than I had intended paying. Just wondering whether it would be worth it in view of the fact that we arrive on Saturday about 6 pm, SUnday will be a free day for us and on Monday we have arranged a driver to show us the island and then we board the ship on the Tuesday.

:confused::)

You're quite right it probably wouldn't be:p there are 2 lovely pools and you're never too far away from them.

Any help on whichever hotel you decide on regarding what's around there don't hesitate to ask:)

You're quite right it probably wouldn't be:p there are 2 lovely pools and you're never too far away from them.

Any help on whichever hotel you decide on regarding what's around there don't hesitate to ask:)

Hi Again

Im looking at a hotel called San Pacific - partly because it is on a golf course and we would love to play a round of golf on one of our 3 days pre cruise. I know its not anywhere near any restaurants etc but my husband and I thought that we arrive mid afternoon/evening from Singapore and would want to check in, have something to eat and then relax and then the next day have breakfast and chill for a few hours and then go and play some golf about 2-3 pm. The following day we are being picked up by a driver who will show us the island and then on the return to the hotel we will chill and have some dinner. Then the next day we board the ship - the ship doesn't depart until the next day at 2 pm so thought we could get off after breakfast and just browse the shops presuming they are nearby.

Do you think all of this is feasible? The reviews of the hotel seem pretty good and I think it just might suit our needs.

Hi Again

Im looking at a hotel called San Pacific - partly because it is on a golf course and we would love to play a round of golf on one of our 3 days pre cruise. I know its not anywhere near any restaurants etc but my husband and I thought that we arrive mid afternoon/evening from Singapore and would want to check in, have something to eat and then relax and then the next day have breakfast and chill for a few hours and then go and play some golf about 2-3 pm. The following day we are being picked up by a driver who will show us the island and then on the return to the hotel we will chill and have some dinner. Then the next day we board the ship - the ship doesn't depart until the next day at 2 pm so thought we could get off after breakfast and just browse the shops presuming they are nearby.

Do you think all of this is feasible? The reviews of the hotel seem pretty good and I think it just might suit our needs.

Hiya,

The hotel looks lovely and the reviews are great! I don't know the immediate area, but I have been to Tanah Lot, a temple on the edge of the ocean, very popular for its fabulous sunsets and photo opputinities, which isn't too far away.

It will take approx 60-90 minutes from the airport to get there. So I'm guessing on your first night chilling out is all you really will want to do. At 2 or 3 in the afternoon it will be hot, seriously hot, so a round of golf might be better in the morning with the afternoon being a time for relaxing poolside ect.:)

On your trip around I'm sure you will go to Ubud. This is a lovely 'village' full of lovely arty shops and boutiques, and also home the famous Baba Guling (roast pig on a spit) absolutely worth a try if you like pork! There is also a huge markets area, where you can find lots of markety stuff and souvenirs if you want.

It will take approx 1-2 hours from the hotel to the port of Benoa,where you catch the ship. As you are on board overnight, you can always catch a taxi back into the nightlife areas of Kuta/Legian or indeed wait to have a look around the next day. it's only 20/30 minutes away, there will be plenty of taxis just outside the port gates which are about 50 metres away. The guys will haggle but they are all pretty friendly and honest.

On the whole I think if this is what you're thinking go for it. Sounds like a fabulous holiday in the making!! I look forward to hearing of what your final plans will be:D

I have put approx next to the travel times because the traffic at times can be absolutely horrendous or slightly horrific, just depends:eek:

HI Again

Don't suppose you know how we would get from the ship in Kyoto to the airport, which I presume is Osaka? Is this a main international airport? Just that I was hoping to book the 11 am flight to London which changes at Singapore but it seems from my reading on the web that most people take a train rather than a taxi/transfer bus because of the cost?

Any help you can give on this part of our trip would be great.

HI Again

Don't suppose you know how we would get from the ship in Kyoto to the airport, which I presume is Osaka? Is this a main international airport? Just that I was hoping to book the 11 am flight to London which changes at Singapore but it seems from my reading on the web that most people take a train rather than a taxi/transfer bus because of the cost?

Any help you can give on this part of our trip would be great.

Sorry Josie, my knowledge of Japan is limited to Sushi, Toyata and that they get earthquakes.....oh and the gorgeous cherry blossoms.

I see there were some suggestions on the Azamara sight, maybe a new thread on this Asia board will bring some good advice.

Singapore airlines good airline to fly with, always try to go with them if we can.

Deb

Kyoto is not on the coast. It is about one hour or more from Osaka by train. The trains run regularly at about one hour intervals. They are very reliable and must be the preferred mode of transportation between the two places.

The main international airport for the Osaka area is Kansai International (which Sing Air flies into). Kansai is about 30 minutes by train from Osaka. There are several direct trains per hour, again quite reliable.

I know there is a direct train from Kyoto to Kansai, which takes about 2 hours, but I have not personally taken so I have no experience to share.

But if your departure from Kansai is late in the day, there should be no problem at all in leaving Kyoto in the morning and still catching your plane.

Sky shield