Cuban Cigars

4yanx

Oooooooooo ...... love my Dominican Romeo y Julieta's. While I may acquire a few Cubans for consumption while at sea, I'll be shopping for a good price on a box of Dominicans on Grand Cayman. If they ain't significantly cheaper than what I can buy mail-order at home, I'll save my money to bolster the US economy and buy from American retailers.

And to think ..... cruising is what got me hooked on cigars, thanks to a cruisemate, DW's cousin-in-law. I'm forever in his debt!!!!

If you cruise out of Tampa, make sure you go to Thompson's. They have direct mail website and catalogs, but they sell direct to consumers at their warehouse/showroom in Tampa. From what I've heard, you can get the Dominicans cheaper here in Tampa than in Grand Cayman. You can find them on the web easily. There is a new Cigar store at Centro Ybor (short trolley ride from the port) that has cigars hand rolled on premise, as well as about three others along 7th Avenue.

Has anyone ever tried Dominican cigars? I live just outside of Tampa and cigars are easy to get from Ybor. I have smoked various brands and my favorite are the Fuente cigars. If you have never tried them, you should try the 858. It is a very good smoke. I prefer those or the Montecristos.

Barry

Dominicans are great, but there is just something about a Cuban that sets it apart.

Not cheaper in any port..CIgars are very high in Grand Cayman and Cozumel. One really nice Cigar shop downtown in Grand Cayman, be sure to visit it...But JR Cigars is always cheaper than any thing on the islands..Cubans very expensive.. But always fun to smoke while there..Cant wait to get there in Feb 06...Be sure to buy some Big Black Dick Rum also, while in Grand Cayman, great to sip on while having a good Cuban Montecristo..

Ernesto's FAJITA Factory is correct, and I misspoke.

Anyhow, that's the place, and it's O.K. to ask around for directions. I always do. Since Guantanamera's just opened, my friend doesn't have the address yet. he's just meeting up with the owner when he gets down there next week. Again, it shold be easy to find, since you know the name and nearby restaurant. I always find my way around this way.

Oh, and to answer an above poster's question, regarding "what steps must be taken in order to be certified as a cruise line recommended vendor?"

Money. That is the ONLY thing required. Diamonds International, et. al. pay various promotional fees to have their business advertised by the cruiselines. I kind of though it was obvious from just looking at the deal from the outside, but they do try to mislead you into thinking that these are "certified" shops and stuff. They are not. This is a typical advertising arrangement and nothing more. Oh, and I'm, not just being cynical. I've talked to business owners who are "recommended" and that's exactly what they have told me.

Has anyone ever tried Dominican cigars? I live just outside of Tampa and cigars are easy to get from Ybor. I have smoked various brands and my favorite are the Fuente cigars. If you have never tried them, you should try the 858. It is a very good smoke. I prefer those or the Montecristos.

Barry

I love Macanudo's I find some of the old ones to be as good as some some of the better cubans I've tried.

Archived