Cuban Cigars

4yanx

sorry while this is the customs link, it is also illegal for a US citizen to buy Cubans overseas. The law is meant to extend to any pruchase by a US citizen(or legal resident) whether in the US, returning to the US or anywhere in the world. It is the same US view that allows us to prosecute a crime anywhere in the world against a US citizen. It is why I suggest not using a credit card. I don't believe that what you describe will actually get the feds after you but they can if they want to.

"A critical constituent of this system has, since 1963, been a

wide-ranging prohibition of all unlicensed property transactions

between persons subject to the jurisdiction of the United States and

Cuba or Cuban nationals. /4/ This embargo program has given the

United States some leverage over Cuban conduct. /5/ By restricting

Cuban access to hard currency, the program has made it more difficult

for Cuba to finance destabilizing activity in Central America and the

Caribbean region, and has served to dissociate the United States from

these Cuban ventures. "

While I quoted the customs section before the DOJ enforces violations(of the trading with the enemy act) that occur by US subjects and Cuban goods anywhere. The seperate crime of providing a false document is probably worse but as I said, I don't think that a few cigars outside the US will get the Feds after you and is why I suggest not using a credit card.

There is a bounty paid to the people who report these crimes....

Smeyer- I also was going on "what I was told", and so I researched your and my statements. You are indeed correct, it is illegal for a US citizen to purchase goods of Cuban manufacture regardless of where you are at. Sorry I doubted, good call and info on your part:)

I still enjoyed my Cohiba and Monte's though, and will have to take the chance that I won't get stopped if I buy one or two cigars to smoke, (of course when I am out of the states) because they are soooooo good;)

Cordovamom the reason that he could smoke one is that those cigars have been in the U.S. since the embargo. Since they where already in the U.S. when the embargo hit they could stay. Not only does Gov. Arn. smoke them so does Mel Gibson. The cost on one of these legal U.S. Cuban cigars in $500 or more

Cordovamom the reason that he could smoke one is that those cigars have been in the U.S. since the embargo. Since they where already in the U.S. when the embargo hit they could stay. Not only does Gov. Arn. smoke them so does Mel Gibson. The cost on one of these legal U.S. Cuban cigars in $500 or more

Ouch--- that's a lot of money for a cigar

Do you really believe that these are pre Castro...not me. Remember even FDR drank before prohibition was repealed.

Let me see. I can charge how much for a pre castro cigar...and I can bring them in just keep changing the bands....

Any want to buy 2 million pre castro cigars? That is 1 billion dollars....Fidel says I can keep half....

Not an expert but even in a humidore would those things be a little on the dry side by now or perhaps a little moldy:eek:

One would think, but my grandfather had a box he brought back from Cuba pre-embargo, which he shared one with my dad. Apparently they were 40 + years old at the time they smoked them, and dad says it was the best he's ever had

(disclaimer: This was at the end of a cocktail hour, so perhaps it was the martini's talking, coupled with the "mystique" of smoking a 40+ year old Cuban cigar, who knows...)

Does anyone know if you can purchase them in the eastern Caribbean? We are going on the Destiny that stops in Aruba, Barbados, Dominica, PR and St Thomas/St John (not in that order).

I'm just guessing here, but I would imagine you'll be able to get them in Aruba, Barbados, and Dominica. PR and St Thomas/St John are US territories so they would not be available.

Hecho In mexico = made in mexico...or did i miss read the earlier post. There are alot of fakes. Never buy from a street vendor as they are not really selling CUBAN cigars it is usually....POT.

Perry, it was the box the tobacconist in Cozumel gave me to put my cigars into in my luggage, if I so desired. Of course, I wouldn't even think of bringing them stateside:rolleyes: .

And I just remembered where in the Cayman's I purchased my first great ceegar since I was up in Canada. It was in a tobacco shop in a little mall with a statue of a pirate named Big Black Dick (no innuendo's there, huh?).

• 2 months later...

do not by at Havana Club. they forced Mimi, the former partenr and took the name from her. They DO NOT get their cigars from a regional habanos S.A. (the cuban gov't) distributor. They buy from Mimi (actually she's gone and they buy thorugh her new partner, Daniel), and mark them up more, or they BUY FROM "other sources".

Important note: at least 80% of the cigars sold in the world as "cubans" are FAKE. Do not EVER relky on boxes, bands, etc to determine authenticity. the only way to know is to go with a trusted vendor. Daniel managed the shop Mimi opend when she left Havana Club. Another note, Mimi actually owned the only licensed Habanos S.A. franchise in Cozumel.

Back to the main point: Mimi has sadly left Cozumel, but Daniel has opened his own shop, and with it, the actual license to purchase direct from the Mexico City habanos S.A. distributor. Danny will make you the best Mojito you've ever had.

I am a cigar addict and frequent many message boards discussing them. Daniel's shop is the ONLY one anyone I know will buy from. In fact, I have an American friend who works during the summers there at the shop.

The shop is called Guantanamera's and is across the street from a place called "ernesto's Tortilla Factory"

If you go to Havana club, you a re taking a calculated risk I guess. If you go to any other shop, I will GUARANTEE you 100% that you are buying fakes.

Hope this info helps. An authentic Cuban is a piece of art. It PAINS me to see people "appreciate" this art, without actually expreiencing the true deal.

Which raises another question. Many of us know that Carnival (and other lines) have cruiseline approved vendors or whatever the hell they're called in port. I purchased cigars from two of these vendors in very nice tobacco shops in both Coz and the Caymans. The question then is, what is required to become a cruiseline approved vendor, where you assume you're not getting royally screwed when purchasing something (cigars in this case)?

Nancy:

I am getting that info as we speak and I'll post it later. My (American) friend is also renting an apartment there for 3 weeks for their x-mas vacation. Turns out, it's when our COnquest cruise (12/18-12/25) will be stopping in. My "excursion" is just going to be hanging out with a Cozumel "expert" and letting him call the shots for the day.

I'll post the address soon though.

I think you mean Ernesto's FAJITA Factory, no? There used to be two locations, but now only one. Ernesto's is near the Cassa Del Mar and across the street from the La Ceiba Hotel. The La Ceiba's address is:

Carr. a Chankanaab Km 4.5

This should help narrow the search!

Has anyone ever tried Dominican cigars? I live just outside of Tampa and cigars are easy to get from Ybor. I have smoked various brands and my favorite are the Fuente cigars. If you have never tried them, you should try the 858. It is a very good smoke. I prefer those or the Montecristos.

Barry

Oooooooooo ...... love my Dominican Romeo y Julieta's. While I may acquire a few Cubans for consumption while at sea, I'll be shopping for a good price on a box of Dominicans on Grand Cayman. If they ain't significantly cheaper than what I can buy mail-order at home, I'll save my money to bolster the US economy and buy from American retailers.

And to think ..... cruising is what got me hooked on cigars, thanks to a cruisemate, DW's cousin-in-law. I'm forever in his debt!!!!

Archived