Cuban Cigars

4yanx

Thanks. I would have interest in where to shop in either Cozumel or Playa del Carmen for guaranteed authentic Cohibas. A bit of a tradition, my sons and I will enjoy one at some point during the trip - as we have on each trip to Canada.

No, we do not need adivse on how to smuggle them back. We will but one each and smoke in situ! :)

I am obviously mistaken but I thought it was legal to bring cuban's back to the US for personal consumption. Is this not correct?
No, you are not allowed to bring any Cuban cigars back to the states. But you can smoke 'em before you get back in the cigar lounge on the ship.

John

I have never found one for sale on a ship. Those in Mexico can be very good but there are a lot of fakes so be carefull.

Read a lot about "fake" Cubans, which I know is true. I'd be interested in some tips for identifying a fake from the read deal. One trick I know is that they will show you the authentic cigar but switch them when they bag them for you.

Any help would be appreciated.

Read a lot about "fake" Cubans, which I know is true. I'd be interested in some tips for identifying a fake from the read deal. One trick I know is that they will show you the authentic cigar but switch them when they bag them for you.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are some links that may help:

http://www.smokemag.com/0398/feature.htm

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/counterfeit/

http://www.cigars-of-cuba.com/advice/advice_fake.asp

John

Not tjat I would ever do this.:rolleyes: But if I were to bring a few back for personal consumption, I would remove the bands and pack them in my carryon. If questioned, you took some with you and these are the ones you didn't smoke.

Never pack cigars in checked luggage no matter where they are from. The temperature change in the bagage compartment can damage them.:eek:

We have purchased Cohibas and other cuban cigars in Cozumel at the Havana Club. This shop is recomended by Carnival and their supper shoper. The shop is located in the beachfront shoping section on the second floor of a shop, I can't remember what was on the first floor. Enjoy your Cubans, I allways do.

We have purchased Cohibas and other cuban cigars in Cozumel at the Havana Club. This shop is recomended by Carnival and their supper shoper. The shop is located in the beachfront shoping section on the second floor of a shop, I can't remember what was on the first floor. Enjoy your Cubans, I allways do.

All I remember is a narrow staircase going up to the second floor. Nice big humidor, decent food, drinks and air conditioning! The gentlemen in our party were very happy with the quality and selection of their cigars too. ;)

Njsteve and hstrybuf - THIS is what I'm talkin' bout. Thanks for the specific suggestion! Would appreciate Playa del Carmen spots, too, if anyone knows. I like the ides of sitting in the breeze on the beach with one at the end of December....................

in cozumel what price range do the cubans come in?

Cubans always seem way overpriced in the Caribbean as they know that Americans will pay out the nose for them on vacation ... but hey, what are you going to do? The cheapest full-sized Cuban (coronoa or larger) is probably $8-10 at a reputable store from what I remember.

BTW, along with everyone else, I have never seen a Cuban sold on the ship. I assume that this is because the ship must be cleared by US customs each time it comes into port.

Also, having talked to friends who are customs agents, if they want to catch you with Cubans, they will, whether you take the bands off or not. However, unless it is time to make an example of someone or unless the violation is blatant, it is not that big of deal to bring back a few cigars.

Cubans always seem way overpriced in the Caribbean as they know that Americans will pay out the nose for them on vacation ... but hey, what are you going to do? The cheapest full-sized Cuban (coronoa or larger) is probably $8-10 at a reputable store from what I remember.

BTW, along with everyone else, I have never seen a Cuban sold on the ship. I assume that this is because the ship must be cleared by US customs each time it comes into port.

Also, having talked to friends who are customs agents, if they want to catch you with Cubans, they will, whether you take the bands off or not. However, unless it is time to make an example of someone or unless the violation is blatant, it is not that big of deal to bring back a few cigars.

I bought Cohiba's (Corona) in the Caymans, and Cohiba's and Monte Cristo's of the same size in Cozumel for around $19 to $22 a pop. There is a very nice tobacco shop in the mall area by Carlo's and Charlie's in Cozumel that I feel very comfortable with the thought that they were genuine. Although I of course didn't do it, the Tabocconist included a Mexican tax stamp and a box that proclaimed that the cigars contained within were "hecho en Mexico" if I wanted to try and bring them back into the states;)

Just so you know, customs does nail people with Cuban cigars. I was in Bermuda and briefly considered bringing back a few cigars for friends. DW talked me out of it since she was there on business and didn't want the risk.

Coming back through US customs, the guy several people ahead of us in line got his bags searched. They were taking cigars away from him.

let me tell you what I have been told about the rules about Cubans. It is illegal for US citizens or permanent residents to obtain Cuban cigars anywhere in the world. The Cuban boycott includes purchasing them over seas and smoking them overseas(the one exception is if you are in Cuba legally). They can't be carried on the ship since this would violate the cuban embargo since they can't be carried into the US even for transhipment. If you are going to buy them do not use your credit card. The rules for customs is if they suspect they are cubans you have to prove origin not that they have to. They guy who gave you hecko in Mexico gave your false proof(also an offense if you give it to customs). I have brought Cubans back more than 5 years ago. It was easier then. The current administration has gone to great lengths to enforce the embargo and has fined people many of thousands of dollars(not a typo) for even a few cigars. Sorry about that. There are legal cuban seed tobacco-some very good ones- and some pre castro cigars available.

He stole them from George W

You should know I consider the boycott stupid after so many failed years. I aslo think that refusing help from Cuba for Katrina shows the same stupidity. The stupidity is both Democratic and Republican. Even if they fine the terminator do you think he would care...just us poor folk again...We traded with communist russia, china etc....If we can forgive Momar Khadify who had a US plane bombed isn't time to get over Castro and move on. Vietnam is now a trading parter with the US.

let me tell you what I have been told about the rules about Cubans. It is illegal for US citizens or permanent residents to obtain Cuban cigars anywhere in the world. The Cuban boycott includes purchasing them over seas and smoking them overseas(the one exception is if you are in Cuba legally). They can't be carried on the ship since this would violate the cuban embargo since they can't be carried into the US even for transhipment. If you are going to buy them do not use your credit card. The rules for customs is if they suspect they are cubans you have to prove origin not that they have to. They guy who gave you hecko in Mexico gave your false proof(also an offense if you give it to customs). I have brought Cubans back more than 5 years ago. It was easier then. The current administration has gone to great lengths to enforce the embargo and has fined people many of thousands of dollars(not a typo) for even a few cigars. Sorry about that. There are legal cuban seed tobacco-some very good ones- and some pre castro cigars available.

First of all, it isn't illegal for a U.S. Citizen to purchase, smoke, eat, throw away etc Cuban cigars as long as you aren't on US soil (or I suppose, technically, its waters). The link that you posted (a good link by the way, thank you) only deals with the importation (and subsequent use, sale, transfer, gifting etc, etc) of cuban products, including cigars, into the US.

Look at it this way. You buy a Cuban cigar in Cozumel and smoke it on the ship. The ship is a foreign flagged vessel, in International waters, or waters of a country that allows the importation of Cuban goods. How does US Customs fit into the equation? Not sure, myself.....

In any case, thank you for pointing out that the dealer of the cigars I purchased gave me false proof. It didn't take me long to figure that out when I purchased said Cuban cigars.

To the OP, purchase and enjoy a nice Cuban cigar with a snifter of Cognac aboard the ship. It was one of the most relaxing things I did, and I highly recommend it :D

Archived