First time cruiser questions: Oasis of the Seas

Hello,

My fiancé/soon to be wife and I will be taking our first cruise as our honeymoon in September on Oasis of the Seas. I had a few questions I was hoping someone could answer as this is our first cruise so we are unsure on some things.

1. I read that dynamic dining was being introduced on Oasis but then got delayed. Does anyone know what will be in place in September?

2. We are going to Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel. Does anyone have recommendations on good excursions? We were looking to get a cabana on Labadee but noticed we cannot book until we are on the ship. Are these difficult to reserve?

Also, any tips or recommendations would be great. This is our first cruise so we are pretty new to things so any advice would be great. Thanks!

First off, congratulations on your upcoming wedding! :)

As far as the cabana's go, try to book as soon as you get on board & you should have no problem.

I think you will find that being on Oasis will be an "excursion" in itself. There is so much to do & explore on the ship compared to other classes of ships. We don't do lots of excursions as we like to explore the islands on our own so can't offer to much help with that. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you decide to do, after all it is your honeymoon!! :D:D

Oasis is a destination for sure.

We were on this same route last time on oasis. For Cozumel, we booked Nachi Cocum (not a ship excursion - but this is an all-inclusive resort that limits the number of guests each day). I was unfortunately sick that day, and had to cancel. They were very gracious and refunded our payment. I've heard nothing but good about this place though.

In Falmouth, we stayed in the port compound. My suggestion would be that IF you decide to venture outside the port, do it in a group or on an excursion. There is a "depot" of sorts at the far end of the port compound where you can grab a taxi or shuttle to various tourist areas. If there are just the two of you, you can buddy up with someone else and share the cab fare. Because Oasis ports so far from popular areas, it can be pricey to get transportation to other areas.

Labadee - our favorite. Some people hate it, but we absolutely love it. We go to Columbus Cove, which is the farthest beach (but still not too far of a walk) from the ship. Sand is soft, no rocks, and water is shallow enough to wade quite a ways out and still not have to swim. It's just lovely. No excursion necessary there. And if the walk is too much, you can always hop on the (free) tram. I would recommend water shoes if going to any of the other beaches though. The sand in other areas is very rocky.

Hello,

2. We are going to Labadee, Falmouth, and Cozumel. Does anyone have recommendations on good excursions?

What types of things do you enjoy? Would you be more interested in water activities or land activities? Active excursions or more easy going ones?

Definitely more active excursions. I am a good swimmer but my fiancé less so but still wants to do something in the water. We looked into the Dolphins and Dunns River Falls in Falmouth but reviews were not he best.

Make as many reservations at least 3 days prior to departure (start checking 90 days prior to your sail date to see schedules for shows and Specialty Restaurants) to get preferred times for the shows and/or Specialty Restaurants you wish to go to.

Make reservations for the water show, ice show and comedy club before going on your cruise. Tickets are free, but you can make free ticket reservations online in your online reservation area under Pre-cruise Planner. This takes a bit of planning but is well worth it. Same with Specialty Restaurant reservations. Make this online before you get onboard. Note: When making Specialty Restaurant reservations in advance of your cruise, you will get immediately charged. However, if you need to cancel and you do it 24 hours before your reservation time, your credit card will be credited back the restaurant fee. Keep in mind, the more you don't have to make reservations once onboard leaves you more time to actually enjoy Oasis plus gives you a wider variety of reservation times. I HIGHLY recommend you make a dinner reservation at 150 Central Park. You won't regret it and it will be a fine Honeymoon memory.

Also, electronically sign your activities waivers at least 3 days prior to your sail date. These waivers are for using the Zip Line, Ice Skating Rink, Rock Climbing Wall and the Flowriders. This saves you having to do this onboard before being allowed to try these activities.

Print you luggage tags that will be embedded within your 27-page Cruise Documents which are issued online 4-6 weeks before your sail date. You can print off as many as you want. It's best to affix them to your luggage before arriving at the port.

Be sure to carry any jewelry, medications, etc. in your carry-on bags. Remember you can bring on 2, 750L bottles of wine or champagne to consume in your stateroom (2 bottles per stateroom only). Don't forget the corkscrew.

Complete your Online Check-in forms online and then print and sign your SetSail document at least 3 days prior to your departure. When you are ready to enter the cruise terminal you should have in hand your SetSail document, your passports and the charge card you'll be using to charge anything throughout your cruise. Be sure and have your Welcome Aboard photo taken by the ship photographer. The photo will be used to organize your photos taken by the ship photographers throughout the cruise using facial recognition.

Be sure to carry any jewelry, medications, etc. in your carry-on bags

Since this is your first cruise, the contents of your carry on bag are important for the first few hours on board. Your checked luggage won't be delivered to your room until later in the afternoon or evening. Keep this in mind. For example, if you plan on sitting by the pool, pack your swim suits etc in the carry on. So, anything you think is important to have access to in the first 4 - 6 hours after boarding should be in your carry on.

I went on the 25-April 2015 sailing which was also to those same ports.

I can't help you with the Cabana, but these are the things I did:

- Labadee was my favorite port that I have ever gone on. I don't care for learning about culture. I just want a nice beach with activities. The big surprise for me was that I did not know a meal was included at Labadee. Since RCI owns the island, they have a large BBQ buffet on the beach. It was AMAZING to say the least. I loved it. My group all signed up for the zipline since that is one of the main attractions for the area. I believe it was over $100. We were disappointed with it. It was a cool zipline, but it was just the short practice one and then the main one. If you like ziplining and have been to some good ones (ie: St. Marteen Xtreme) then I would avoid this one. After the zipline we decided to do the Dragon Coaster on a whim because it only cost us $20 (you can use your seapass on the island). The Dragon Coaster was waaaaay more fun than the zipline and at 1/5 the price. They even let us go back on a second time for free because there was no line there at the time.

- Jamaica. I would choose an excursion that includes Dunns River Falls. I loved it honestly. We did the snorkel and Dunns River Falls. The Snorkel was cool. I go snorkeling once every cruise. We didn't see too much but there were some nice coral reefs and we fed some fish. The falls were an experience I will never forget. I will go back there again next time I am in Jamaica. Oh...avoid the marketplaces or just know how to deal with the vendors. They were very friendly at first to get you hooked in, and then they because extremely pushy if you didn't want to buy a product. Two people in my group got sucked in and were afraid to leave. They got separated from my tour group (had to walk through a marketplace at the end of the falls) and my tour bus was delayed in leaving until they got back.

- Mexico. I did the ATV to Jade Caverns. I have mixed reviews on this mostly because I am easy to please, but others might not be. The ATV trail is very bumpy. I am from a place where ATV's regularly drive up my street, so I know how normal ATV-riding is. This was a much less comfortable ride. I would never ride my own ATV on the trail for fear of all the damage being done to it. With that said, knowing that I could beat the crap out of someone else's ATV was fine with me! It was a 45 minute ride to the Caverns and then 45 minutes back. The Cavern is filled with bats and smells like sulphur. They encourage everyone to jump into the cavern. I hate jumping in water from heights but I did it anyway because I couldn't pass up the experience (well that and my girlfriend already jumped in and the group was making fun of me!). I would have regretted if I never jumped in. You will need to go back to get a shower at the ship afterward but it was totally worth it. I would never see anything like that where I am from.

I did find Mexico slightly sketchy though. For some reason the police came to the end of our excursion and stopped out shuttle bus. They spoke in spanish for a few minutes and I was wondering if maybe something was going down and I wouldn't make it back to the ship, but all was well and we went on our way. I noticed on the way back that the police were at the entrance to most excursion places so perhaps they were looking for someone in particular.

Oh, Mexico is picky about bring food in the country as well. Usually I take some fruit off the ship with me to snack on during the day. They had officers at the port to confiscate any food taken off the ship.

Might I suggest a rafting trip down the Martha Brae River in Jamaica? It's a lovely relaxing way to spend an hour or so and we have done it several times and each time is different.

We got a taxi from within the compound, they are very well organised and no need to be fearful in any way. The driver was very good and pointed out things along the way, and the journey was interesting, took around 20 mins each way. He dropped us at the River Rafting and left us and met us at the end of the trip. He did not take payment until he dropped us at the port. We paid for our rafting at the destination.

The countryside is beautiful and it's so much nicer to do it on your own rather than on an organised trip. Try to get off the ship early so you arrive before the coach trips. That way you will be on your own as you gently glide down the river with your own personal boatman. If there are people there when you arrive hang back and let them go ahead so you can be on your own.

Hope you have a great time! Many congratulations on your wedding!

Wow! Thanks for all the great ideas. :)

It won't be long until I will be on the Oasis for the first time!

Just don't try to do it all in one week. You'll come home more exhausted than when you left!

This is my planning spreadsheet I used for our first cruise on Oasis. Some people like to plan - others don't. If you do like planning ahead, feel free to use it. Most of all, relax and enjoy. And what you don't do this time, you'll be able to do the next!

Cruise List (BLANK).xls

Edited by Sherri914

In Jamaica, my daughter, her girlfriend, and a guy friend went to Dunns River Falls thru RCCL. None had been before and they all loved it. However, they all said they wish they did the one that had this PLUS the river tubing.

If you are at Falmouth...th have a new area for shopping. It was nice because it was secure and you just walked at your leisure. Loved having the boat right there to go back for lunch then return to keep shopping.

Labadee we loved. First time there. We went Dec 2013 and couldn't get a cabana so we did he RCCL excursion to the private sandbar. It took around 20-30 to get there by boat and it wasn't far. Only thing was the last group of people were 20 minutes late so that took time off he excursion. Once on the boat, we got great pictures of Indy and the island. Once to the sandbar/small island, you swim/walk to the beach. It's about 3/4 feet deep. They had a few floaters but not enough for everyone so we shared. Takes 10 minutes to walk around the island. They had all of us swim by the boat. They had a couple people there selling trinkets too. Beautiful water and we were there about 50 minutes. Had to leave when next boat arrived...20 minutes earlier BC the group was late. Still worth it and it was he best we had I. The. Raise. They had coke and a few drinks on way back. We still had time on labadee too. Loved labadee!

In 2008 we went to Cozumel. I did the beach excursion which wasn't good BC of high winds. They gave us the chance to back out at the pier...should have done that. So when they say high winds it means no getting in the water and sand in your face when sunbathing. The rest of my group went on a jeep/dune buggy excursion which they loved.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just don't try to do it all in one week. You'll come home more exhausted than when you left!

This is my planning spreadsheet I used for our first cruise on Oasis. Some people like to plan - others don't. If you do like planning ahead, feel free to use it. Most of all, relax and enjoy. And what you don't do this time, you'll be able to do the next!

That is an impressive planning spreadsheet! I thought my packing list was complete but it's not as specific as yours with stating what items went into which bags. I am definitely a planner so may use parts of this. Thanks!

Congrats on your wedding!!! I'll be on the Oasis on June 20-27. I did 12 nights Mediterranean cruise on Brilliance and Eastern Caribbean on Freedom but first time on Oais for Western Caribbean. I like planning waaay ahead of time and read all the cruise critics reviews. My friend who goes on a cruise 2-3 times a year recommended to do Secret Falls/Iris Blue Hole adventures from Liberty Tours Jamaica. Its not from ships excursion. You can check out on You tube.(I don't usually do the ship's excursion unless I don't have a choice like in Labadee, Haiti. They are more expensive and too many people all at once) She told me Blue Hole waterfall is 100 times better than Duns river fall excursion from RCI. I'll tell you how great was when I get back next month.

Labadee Haiti, I signed up for Jet Ski from ship's excursion.

Cozumel, Mexico, I bought tickets on line directly from Dolphinaries ($69 per person. All you can eat food and drink included. snorkeling, stand up paddle boarding, kayaking included. They lend free snorkeling gear but locker is $4.) Swim with a dolphin is one of my bucket list. :) I researched about Dolphinaries and Dolphine discovery and decided with Dolphnaries after reading reviews on Trip Advisor and watching U Tube.

Someone also told me to reserve ticket for Aqua show for first day since it cancels sometimes when the ships get rocky. I didn't want to miss the Aqua show.

I pack my Ziploc bag( sandwich bag) to pick up yummy sandwich from Park Café. To go coffee cup, since there is no cup to go at Café promenade. Insulated mug to fill sparkling flavored water from Park Café.

Wow very impressive! And I thought I was doing good by just reserving show and dinner reservations pre cruise. Lol!

Thanks so much and I will indeed use your sheets, they have already pointed out several things I forgot. Yikes!

This is quite impressive. Thank you for creating this.

Your notes say to enter the Opal Theater on Deck 5 to avoid the lines. Is it easy to get to the middle balcony and orchestra from the Deck 5 entrance?

Your notes say to enter the Opal Theater on Deck 5 to avoid the lines. Is it easy to get to the middle balcony and orchestra from the Deck 5 entrance?

We don't like sitting down on the floor.... so we sit in the center balcony section. Entering from Deck 5 had much less of a crowd in the hallway. You can enter thru any of the floors for sure - we just found that Deck 5 had a much shorter (or no) line. I don't remember, though, if you can get down to the main floor area once you enter from the balcony.

Definitely get a cabana in Labadee, so worth every penny. There is a link to my Labadee review in my signature with lots of pics of cabanas. We did the red stripe beach rccl excursion in Falmouth, it was actually very nice. Private beach that only rccl uses, good food and nice beach.