Explorer of the Sea - 24 April 2015 - Canaries

We booked this cruise about 4 weeks before sailing and were really looking forward to it as it was the maiden cruise after the refit. We stayed over in Southampton and arrived at the port at 10am. Luggage drop off was a doddle as was parking the car. Got into the terminal and as we are Diamond Crown and Anchor members we were given a sticker to allow us to go into the 'fast lane' for checking in. There was no need to be honest as it was all very efficient and we were on board the ship by 10.20am, with a complimentary glass of sparking wine in our hand.

We boarded on deck 4 and decided to sit in the newly renamed Tavern to drink the wine. First impressions were that it was very elegant and clean and the staff very friendly and helpful.

We headed up to the Windjammer for something to eat as we had skipped breakfast. The food was hot and tasty and at that time there was plenty of room to sit and relax to eat the food.

An announcement was made at about 11am that the rooms were ready so headed down to deck 2 to take a look at our outside stateroom. Once in there we noticed a high-pitched whistle coming from the bathroom. It turned out to be the ventilation system above the shower. This was sorted out by the attendant who took the closing mechanism out. We then had a gaping hole in the ceiling!!!! Overall the room was clean and well serviced throughout and the only note of caution I would give to fellow cruiser booking a room low down the ship is that you will hear the sea crashing against the ship. It wasn't an issue for us and we soon got used to it.

On the first evening we noticed a major flaw in the thinking behind the refurb. RCI had created 100+ new staterooms and therefore 200+ more passengers. They also added 3 new specialty restaurants and I believe some new shops. To accomplish this that removed the nightclub, made the windjammer and main dining rooms smaller and made some of the bars smaller. This resulted in more passengers with lest public space for them. This was particularly noticeable in the Windjammer, where it was impossible to to find a seat for breakfast or lunch and also in the bars in the evening where it was impossible to find a seat after late dinner sitting.

What was also noticeable was the lack of bar servers walking around. It seemed that the 'norm' was to go to the bar to order drinks.

We ate in the main dining room every night and the waiter and assistant were great. The food varied from OK to very good but was always hot and served quickly. Due to the issues with seating in the Windjammer we decided to have lunch in Giovanni's on 3 occasions. The food in there was certainly a notch up from the main dining room but of course we paid a premium.

Overall this was a good cruise on a nice ship but they really need to sort out the pubic areas and staffing situation.

We are now looking forward to going on Anthem of the Seas on 01 August 2015.

The problem is that I couldn't see any space to add more seats. Any space that was available has now been taken up by extra staterooms, speciality restaurants or shops.

Obviously rcc don't care if we can't sit down anywhere. What are we supposed to do eat standing up, perhaps we should take to sitting on the stairs to eat, or in between the food stations. This really is not good enough, just because they are so greedy. Putting in all those extra cabins and dining venues, I just hope no one eats in them.

Love the idea of sitting on the stairs or even taking a camping chair along to sit on. That would get someone's attention quickly [emoji33]

Or they just want you to pay extra to eat :)

...Due to the issues with seating in the Windjammer...

This was an issue even before the refurb, I can't imagine what it is like now. :( Explorer WJ was the second busiest and frustrating after Oasis, in my opinion. Always busy, always crowded, always noisy. Oh well.

Explorer WJ was the second busiest and frustrating after Oasis, in my opinion. Always busy, always crowded, always noisy.

I agree the Oasis class WJs are very busy. They tried to improve the issue by waiting in line at the entrance and staff take them to an empty table when available. I wouldn't mind this at all on the Explorer.

Wondering aimlessly around WJ for an empty table is not my idea of fun and it is like waiting for a table at a busy McDonald's.

Wondering aimlessly around WJ for an empty table is not my idea of fun...

Agreed. DH and I have perfected it! We find a table first, then I go, then he goes when I come back. Then I grab a little dessert, then he goes after me. We haven't eaten together on a cruise in 15 years! Bwahahaha!!! LOL :D:D:D

Thanks Jaz33 for your review, we are sailing on her in August and i do hope they get the staffing issue and seating areas sorted by then.

Sean

Oh, but they have gotten the staffing and seating issue "sorted" ... just the way they intend for it to be .. what youre seeing is the "New Royal Caribbean", apparently.

The worse thing is.. on deck 4 opposite the new tavern bar there is now an art gallery.. now i don't know what it used to be like on this ship but on the adventure that area is full of seating... if it used to be the same then they have lost probably 100 chairs there... they do karaoke in the tavern every night (whereas there used to be a band there... free entertainment?lol) and people just stand on the stairs as there is no seating...

Agreed. DH and I have perfected it! We find a table first, then I go, then he goes when I come back. Then I grab a little dessert, then he goes after me. We haven't eaten together on a cruise in 15 years! Bwahahaha!!! LOL :D:D:D

Oh, that's just too funny, but sadly true. After thinking about this for a minute, it is our Windjammer experience too! :(

Oh, that's just too funny, but sadly true. After thinking about this for a minute, it is our Windjammer experience too! :(

Ditto :) Usually us girls stay at the table whilst the men get their food.. then we go off and when we come back they are looking at their empty plates :D

My wife and I took our first cruise with RCL April 24th from Southampton, allegedly to Madeira, Canaries and Spain. Our fifth and most expensive cruise yet it was simply not worth the money. Ship is 4 stars but food sure ain't, 3 at best and while food in main dining room is presented well it hides the fact it's just not good enough for the price you pay plus you will be kept at your table for 90 minutes minimum ( some people kept there til midnight on first day of cruise!). Desserts hugely disappointing, mostly pimped up mousses masquerading as something else. We found no seats in any bar for the first three nights, finally found the Star Lounge had seats if you got in early. Never did find seats elsewhere. Ship was very full with just over 3000, very clearly RCL don't know or don't care that when ship is at sea that there is simply not enough room to eat or drink esp at key dining times like breakfast and lunch. Entertainment also very disappointing with only 2 good nights out of 10 and the last night was just so flat with a comic juggler as the "headliner act" ? Who in their right mind would ever pay to see a juggler? Which muppet booked this act for the last night? Didn't think much of the entertainment team at all, had they just escaped from Butlins? Yes ice show was great but you only see 1 show in 10 days, there must be more that could be done with this venue? Now for the port "days".... Hours more like. We had only 4 hours at Lanzarote and 5 at Vigo, that's just crazy and of course it created problems as people rushed on and off. Took us 45 minutes to get back on at Madeira and some people twice that. Surely a sensible thing to do would be to open two gangways? Seems RCL don't do being sensible! All in all I feel like I have been mugged and robbed. RCL clearly don't care about the customer experience and just wanted my money. I have had better cakes from UK supermarkets and better meals in Wetherspoons. Utter disgrace RCL and for the reasons posted here I will never ever cruise with them again. Food, entertainment, port itinerary and customer service and organisation simply not good enough for the £3000 we paid! We expected much better from what we believed was a good cruise company? The hell it is!

I have no dog in this show but I am incredibly sorry to hear what has happened to Explorer since she left for Europe. 90% of the reviews and comments I read are adverse.

Explorer was, at one time, my favorite ship of any I have been on. However last time was not great and now it seems worse.

I know that ship well and cannot figure out where 100 extra cabins went. It had already been extended years ago.

I have been having doubts about RCI for a year or two now (however, my Adventure cruise this month was mostly great) and, if they start that noise in the US, I could easily be done.:confused:

I am fortunate that I didn't experience the waiting problems in the dining room or boarding on port days. I do agree that RCI need to sort out the issues and adding 200+ new people doesn't help.