TV's on Independence of the Seas

My grandsons know they will not be allowed to roam the ship past their curfew and were wondering if they would be able to connect their Playstation 4 gaming console to the TV in the stateroom. Does anyone know the answer to this?

My understanding is that the selection of the auxiliary inputs on the stateroom TVs are disabled. Some here are said that if you bring a universal remote, you are able to select the aux input.

Edited by clarea

I don't know about IOS, but on Princess, I've connected my laptop to the TV via HDMI to watch movies and play PC games w/an Xbox controller. The composite AV inputs were also available, IIRC.

I've bought an HDMI cable to go the laptop to TV route. ^.^ Hope it works. Once I connect the two by wire, what else should I do pseudoware (to get started)?

Thank you! Looks fairly easy. Now lets just hope the remotes have input buttons enabled.

The provided remotes do not. You will need a universal remote (possibly as simple as this: RCA Remote)

Was just on Indy in January and our stateroom had a Samsung TV. I think if your remote has codes for Samsung, LG, Sharp, and Sony, you should be covered.

To give a bit more info, a lot of companies (cruise ships, hotels) don't buy consumer rated TVs, they buy the enterprise or industrial grade TVs. These more expensive models not only have a better warranty but have features the companies are looking for such as the ability to disable inputs. We have one at work that we use for an info board and want it locked on a certain input so we disabled the others.

If the TV is set this way, hitting an input button on the TV only cycles through available active inputs and will skip any disabled ones. The purpose of a remote is to get into the menu to re-enable the disabled inputs.

Some places now leave inputs available for travelers as hotels realize they make their customers happy if they can hook up a camera or laptop and use the screen. Others still like to lock down the display so people can't use their own media and must pay-per-view. It's a choice between revenue and customer satisfaction.

And just an FYI - the virtual balconies are an 80" Sharp panel but have a hefty frame around them that blocks the IR receiver. There is an external receiver that connects to a separate box to control the VB display. But if anyone happens to be able to show a movie one of those, I want to hear the story.

• 3 months later...

@GuavaTechAngels: Bummer, but I wonder if a different remote would work (i.e., is this an issue with the TV itself or is a different remote a solution). I have movies on the SD card of my Samsung phone, and frequently hook it up to a (non-smart) TV via MHL/USB cable to play the movies. Was hoping I could do the same on the stateroom TV on Indy.

Also, can anyone else confirm that a USB drive can be plugged in from which to watch movies?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Edited by troop949
Added content

• 2 weeks later...
@GuavaTechAngels: Bummer, but I wonder if a different remote would work (i.e., is this an issue with the TV itself or is a different remote a solution). I have movies on the SD card of my Samsung phone, and frequently hook it up to a (non-smart) TV via MHL/USB cable to play the movies. Was hoping I could do the same on the stateroom TV on Indy.

Also, can anyone else confirm that a USB drive can be plugged in from which to watch movies?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This is the remote that I brought with me:

http://www.amazon.com/URC-Universal-Control-Components-Favorite/dp/B001KC08A4/

It has worked for me in the past on the Allure. However, it didn't work on the IotS.

Here's a link to the TV model that's being using in balcony staterooms on the IotS:

imgur (DOT) com/vizYAfH

I also have a Logitech Harmony 880 that I didn't think to bring. Our next cruise will be on the Harmony of the Seas. I'm going to bring both remotes with me next time.

I hope early cruisers on HotS can post which TV models are being used on that ship and which remotes will enable the HDMI inputs.

Edited by GuavaTechAngels

• 1 month later...
You can't control the inputs on Royal's TV's

You can, this same remote has worked on Allure OTS => imgur (dot) com/oiLBP0S

URC WR7 Universal Remote Control for up to 7 A/V Components with 4 Favorite Channel Buttons

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KC08A4

But it did not work on Independence OTS TV's. We have Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phones and didn't think of buying a remote control app to use with the IR blaster on these phones. But, we're going to buy an app and try it on our next cruise. I'm going to bring the hardware remote as a backup.

Edited by GuavaTechAngels

• 5 months later...
If you are in a suite you can ask for a ps4. We had them in oasis and Indy.

i thought i read you get playstations as part of the suite perks. is that accurate and true on independence?

I am on Independence right now, not PS2 or PS anything in the room. On Enchantment we had one in our Suite and we borrowed movies from Lounge.

I thought all GS+ came with Playstations for movie rentals? Did they change this? Ill ask Suite Conceirge tonight