1A to a 4E for $110 total... Should I?

Vitamin_Sea

Ok..We are talking Splendor,,,2 people

. We have a 1A on Main deck 2 forward with port holes now. 160sq ft.

I noticed i can get a 4E on Empress deck 7 inside. 185sq ft

Not sure if its worth going up the Empress and having no window at all.

I know its the best deck on the ship but I already have port holes with the 1A.

Would cost $110 total extra

I dont think its worth it.

what would you do?

Edited by limoguy1

Aren't all 1A's bunk beds though? I don't like bunk beds. It seems like it'd be claustrophobic in the bottom and I'd surely hurt myself getting in or out of the top.

But, if bunk beds don't bother you, then no, I would not give up my window and light for 25 square feet.

Aren't all 1A's bunk beds though? I don't like bunk beds. It seems like it'd be claustrophobic in the bottom and I'd surely hurt myself getting in or out of the top.

But, if bunk beds don't bother you, then no, I would not give up my window and light for 25 square feet.

No...This one has a twin and sofa bed

No...This one has a twin and sofa bed

Oh, then no, I wouldn't do it unless you're worried about the sofa bed being uncomfortable. I've never slept on them. My kids do when they come with me and they've never complained about it, so I assume it's ok?

Oh, then no, I wouldn't do it unless you're worried about the sofa bed being uncomfortable. I've never slept on them. My kids do when they come with me and they've never complained about it, so I assume it's ok?

Yeah Im not to concerned about the sofabed actually. If my daughter does not want it I will take it. When Im tired I can sleep anywhere

I just got off the Dream on a B2B and on the second week I had a 1A on deck one. While I enjoyed having the natural light from the portholes, the vibration and noise from the stabilizers during the first night was almost unbearable. The vibration felt like cannon shots were going off. After the first night it was fine except when the bow thrusters are used - very loud but usually not for more than 20 minutes while docking.

I would have killed to have an interior on Deck 7 with cabins above and below.

I just got off the Dream on a B2B and on the second week I had a 1A on deck one. While I enjoyed having the natural light from the portholes, the vibration and noise from the stabilizers during the first night was almost unbearable. The vibration felt like cannon shots were going off. After the first night it was fine except when the bow thrusters are used - very loud but usually not for more than 20 minutes while docking.

I would have killed to have an interior on Deck 7 with cabins above and below.

Was noise first night all night??? Were you on Riviera in first cabin with window?

On Main I would feel a bit better about 1a and show runs above would not bother me..OP..said they go to bed later...

Sounds like some have had a bad first night...but so many love those cabins and they are a roomier set up to me...

Take earplugs and sound machine for fist night...go with the main 1a..just sounds too special..much lees claustrophobic for twosome like you guys..the way the beds are and everything...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Ok..We are talking Splendor,,,2 people

. We have a 1A on Main deck 2 forward with port holes now. 160sq ft.

I noticed i can get a 4E on Empress deck 7 inside. 185sq ft

Not sure if its worth going up the Empress and having no window at all.

I know its the best deck on the ship but I already have port holes with the 1A.

Would cost $110 total extra

I dont think its worth it.

what would you do?

I would not do that, not even for free!

I do need to correct the info that you have been given. That 1A with portholes is not 160 sq.ft, even though they list 1As as being 160. It's actually 185 sq.ft. I have stayed in a few 1As with portholes, and I've measured 3 of them with a tape measurer. The one on Dream (2217) came out to 185 sq.ft. exactly. The one on Triumph (2216) seemed to come out to 195 sq.ft, while my friends' 1A with portholes next door (2212) measured out to 185 exactly. I have also measured the basic interior rooms with a tape measurer on a similar ship to Splendor. It was nowhere near 185, even though that's what they list. They are 160 at the most, although my measurement came out to 150. From a visual standpoint alone, it is blatantly obvious that the standard interiors are significantly smaller than the 1As with portholes.

So to "upgrade", you would not only lose the portholes, but you would also lose 35-45 sq.ft. of space (between 4 & 5 feet of length is lost).

So with that in mind, the only reason to take the 4E would be if the motion of being far forward was a concern, or if the sound of the waves hitting the front of the ship was a concern. Neither of those things have bothered me. I find them to be soothing, as the sounds & motion are consistent, not random & varied. In calm seas, there will be no motion or noise. The only other reason to take the 4E would be if you are traveling with your spouse/partner, and want to be in the same bed. The sofa bed cannot be pushed up next to the standard bed. The sofa is a little bit lower than the standard bed.

Edited by k2excursion

I just stayed in a 1A last week on the Splendor, cabin 2216. The room had 2 portholes, twin bed and sofa bed. My son slept in the sofa bed just fine. The room is actually big enough to accommodate 2 twins pushed together- I don't know why they don't do that? I was really worried about motion and noise from waves and the theater above. Yes, there is significantly more motion up front, but it didn't really bother me. The waves crashing on the hull sounded like explosions/ cannons going off but this wasn't constant and only occurred the first and last night of sailing. I've felt more vibrations in aft cabins before than this far forward cabin. Never heard a thing from the theater. I thought this area would get less foot traffic being so far forward, but I had some pretty inconsiderate neighbors slamming doors, meeting up in hallways, etc.

The cabin occasionally smelled of cigarettes for some reason and I did hear welding from I think the crew area in front of these rooms (crew door I saw open a few times at end of hallway). Maybe that's where the smoking was? I saved $260 staying in this room and would do it again if given the chance to save money.

I love the value of the 1As. I would stay put.

Thanks... Most of you suggested to stay put.

So, we will keep the !A unless CCL offers an interesting upsell.

But im not holding my breathe! :)

THanks all