Star Baltics 5/11/15

Kaboochi

Wow, just wow! The refurbished ship smells of new carpet, the ship is spotless and the crew is very warm and friendly. I know now why they call NCL the happy ships. Loved each free dining venue and now that Ginza is also free, we took advantage of the delicious noodle offerings. O'Sheehans is a nice option for dinner if you don't want the 2 hour main dining room option. Plus O'Sheehans Bar served the best martini EVER!. The ports, from Warnemunde to Tallinn, St Petersburg, Helsinki and Stolkholm were so filled with visual delights. Wear good walking shoes as they all have cobblestone streets and get ready to walk, walk, walk. People that took the 3 hour ride to Berlin and then back, a total of 6 hours said it was too much time on the train. Warnemunde is a quaint fishing village with great eye appeal and a quick, easy train ride to Rostock, where we had the best brockworst EVER. We did 2 1/2 day tours in St Petersburg through the cruise line and we were so happy we booked these to the Hermitage and The summer palace. The guides were in their 20's and provided such detailed commentary that we felt we truly experienced the best tours offered. It's chilly up there so bring a warm jacket, a pair of cozy slippers and a quest for the wow factor!

If you have questions about this itinerary please ask me. Thanks NCL Star for this wonderful cruise.

Thank you for the review of this cruise. So worthwhile as we will be taking this cruise in 12 months time. Did you use any tour companies in other Baltic capitals or have any recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on this cruise too and thought the ports were terrific. It was our 3rd time on the Star and she does look wonderful after the dry dock work. As mentioned, the new carpet in the halls and in the elevator bays really looks sharp. The buttons in the elevators and the panels do need replacing though.

I also thought the windows added in Spinnaker, the refreshed atrium and the modernized photo gallery were huge improvements.

The O'Sheehan's space is really nice now - although the food was just ok. The food in the MDR's was good - no complaints. Le Bistro and La Cucina were fine. Moderno was a disappointment. After a 30 minute wait after our reservation time, by 10:00pm we had been served 1 piece of overcooked chicken and just left. The asst. maître d' did send chocolate covered strawberries and chilled sparking wine the next day which was really nice. Long waits with reservations on the last 2 nights of the cruise - plan ahead.

The lobster tails in the seafood buffet were a nice surprise as was the reduction in the laundry special to $24.95. Unlimited internet was too pricey at $24.99/day for me and not necessary since wi fi was readily available in the ports and port cities.

We took the NCL excursion via train to Berlin since we hadn't been there. It was 3 hours going and 2 hours coming back. The train was fine, but an older commuter train used just for these tourist trips. The private tours used a bus vs. the train and it was at least 3 hours each way plus all the time in Berlin on the bus - less expensive than the train, but too much bus time for us.

For the other ports, we used TJ Tours and thought the guides and drivers were terrific - particularly the 2 day tour in St. Petersburg. The groups were 16 or less. The vans had wi fi! We also saw signs in each port for SPB Tours and Alla.

As noted, the weather was chilly in early May and at several sights in St. Petersburg you had to check your coat. Fleece vests and jackets are very helpful. I wish I had taken one as well as a warm ear band.

So glad you enjoyed this cruise too. Never noticed the elevator buttons, I must have been too exhausted wghen I pressed up at the end of a long day of sightseeing. A trip of a life time. Catch up on your sleep now that we are home!

So glad you enjoyed this cruise too. Never noticed the elevator buttons, I must have been too exhausted wghen I pressed up at the end of a long day of sightseeing. A trip of a life time. Catch up on your sleep now that we are home!

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. I'm starting to get caught up on sleep and over this cold. I caught the cold on the long flight home. I'm looking forward to downloading and organizing all the photos I took.

The crew was happy and friendly. Especially our room steward and butler and in the restaurants and bars.

The elevator buttons didn't light up very well so it was hard to tell if they were pushed. They looked very dated and worn out. There was one elevator in the forward elevator bank where the button for our floor didn't work at all and I had to hold it down to get the elevator to move. I wrote a note to the HD, but suspect they have to have the elevator company come on board to do the repairs.

Edited by herdingdogmom

I will be on the star in 18 days so I am very excited to hear how much you loved the ship and especially the crew.

Have you experienced the new sugarcane bar and the 5 O'clock Somewhere Bar? Was it very busy in there and hard to find a space? Oh and what kind of music and entertainment if any did happen in there?

I will be on the star in 18 days so I am very excited to hear how much you loved the ship and especially the crew.

Have you experienced the new sugarcane bar and the 5 O'clock Somewhere Bar? Was it very busy in there and hard to find a space? Oh and what kind of music and entertainment if any did happen in there?

We went to Sugar Cane Mojito once and 5 O'clock Somewhere a couple of times. Sugar Cane is very small and they were out of each drink we ordered. 5 O'clock is a bit austere and not the most comfortable venue with people walking through to the MDR. No entertainment in Sugar Cane. 5 O'clock had a guitar playing singer in the early evenings and karoke at other times. The best casual music and bar is Gatsby's in my opinion. Gusti the bar tender is great. Have a wonderful cruise.

We went to Sugar Cane Mojito once and 5 O'clock Somewhere a couple of times. Sugar Cane is very small and they were out of each drink we ordered. 5 O'clock is a bit austere and not the most comfortable venue with people walking through to the MDR. No entertainment in Sugar Cane. 5 O'clock had a guitar playing singer in the early evenings and karoke at other times. The best casual music and bar is Gatsby's in my opinion. Gusti the bar tender is great. Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks. They better restock sugar cane before I board :p

I don't expect a huge nightlife anyway but a couple of pre and post dinner drinks with some music are a must.

Oh and I will look for Gusti, a great bar tender can so much improve the experience.

I've been eagerly anticipating the first reviews of the Baltics season. I'm curious how the St Petersburg dismebarkation went on day 1. OP was on NCL excursions and if I recall correctly, herdingdogmom was in a suite.

How did it go? What kind of general info was communicated to passengers? Any sign of preventing non-NCL-sponsored excursions from disembarking before NCL-sponsored?

And do you recall what deck the gangway was on the St Petersburg days?

Please please do tell! Thanks!

Kaboochi - Thanks so much for posting. We'll be in the Star for the September 6th sailing and it's great to hear a good review vs the usual (it seems) whining and complaining!

Carrie

I'm curious how the St Petersburg dismebarkation went on day 1. How did it go? What kind of general info was communicated to passengers? Any sign of preventing non-NCL-sponsored excursions from disembarking before NCL-sponsored? And do you recall what deck the gangway was on the St Petersburg days?

Yes, we used the concierge to disembark in St. Petersburg on day 1. We were on a private tour and the NCL arranged excursions were there in line with us at immigration. I don't recall any general info to prepare for disembarking other than to take your passport and visa documents.

The immigration officials are VERY SLOW and do turn people away without the proper documents. All the booths seemed to be manned, but it was one person at a time. They didn't ask any questions or talk to us, but there seemed to be some delay with their computer system. On the first day they give you a piece of paper. You hand it in at the end of day one - lots of passport stamping. On day two, it all went much more quickly. On our private tour, we waited a good 30 - 45 minutes for everyone to get through the immigration process on the first day.

The gangway was on deck 4 for all the ports on this cruise. On the first port day in Germany, there were long delays getting back on the ship when the train from Berlin arrived. We were standing in the cold for 45 minutes at 9:00pm.

We are booking the June 26th tomorrow. Wonderful to read your impressions! We are a family with both USA and Danish passports. How does it work with Visas when booking an excursion in St Petersburg? We plan on booking through NCL. I read somewhere that the tour operator takes care of everything, included in the price. Is that also your experience?

We are booking the June 26th tomorrow. Wonderful to read your impressions! We are a family with both USA and Danish passports. How does it work with Visas when booking an excursion in St Petersburg? We plan on booking through NCL. I read somewhere that the tour operator takes care of everything, included in the price. Is that also your experience?

You will have a great time on this cruise. The tour operator will ask for your passport information and issue a blanket visa for the two days. We printed ours out and handed it to the immigration clerk. It looked like the NCL excursion folks showed their excursion ticket and passport.

Never saw an overcrowded bar. The cruisers a re older on this itinerary and everyone was down right tired at the end of the day. We LOVED the O'Sheehans bar. The bartenders were so friendly and we had the best martini ever, every single night. The theater has awesome entertainment by the singers and dancers. Not one complaint. Ginza Noodle Bar is now free and we enjoyed our dinner. O'Sheehans was a nice option for dinner on nights we didn't want to sit thru a 2 hour main dining room dinner. Have fun.

I wonder if Gusti is my old pal from the Spirit. He was a brilliant bar tender. It would be nice to see him again in just over 2 weeks time

Could be him. Younger guy with a big smile and fast service. He seemed to have some experience on other ships. He mentioned the Breakaway and maybe going to the Escape in the Fall. Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by herdingdogmom

Thanks for the review. We board the Star in 10 days for a Norwegian fjord cruise. I have a quick question for you, if you don't mind - were the pools and slides open on your cruise? I don't think the weather is going to be too cold for our cruise, but we I was wondering if they were open all the time (during the day) or just during certain hours. We've got an 8 year old and I know he'd really enjoy the slides. Thanks!

Thanks for the review. We board the Star in 10 days for a Norwegian fjord cruise. I have a quick question for you, if you don't mind - were the pools and slides open on your cruise? I don't think the weather is going to be too cold for our cruise, but we I was wondering if they were open all the time (during the day) or just during certain hours. We've got an 8 year old and I know he'd really enjoy the slides. Thanks!

It was not warm enough for us to visit the pool. Sorry I don't have the info. You will love this ship and the itinerary

I love hearing that you had a blast sailing on the Star. I am sailing on her in December and can't wait.

You would not have taken pictures of the new and refurbished spaces, would you?

No pictures, sorry. We were so tired from our wonderful excursions that it never crossed my mind. I can give a visual through words. The carpets have been replaced everywhere onboard. The fishes still swim forward in the cabin hallways to help you navigate. Blue Lagoon is replaced by O'Sheehans and it is located port and starboard on deck 8 I believe. The atrium one deck down has constant music playing which added a nice touch to dining. Their bar has 2 warm and friendly bar tenders that mKe the best matiniwue my friend and I ever had. The atrium stairway banisters gleam, ship is spotless. The photo gallery is speak. They have replaced the walls of photos. You key card will have your portfolio # in it. You select your portfolio then when you want to buy a phot you swipe you key card at one of numerous computer screens, select your pic and done. So simple. There is a new Mojitos Bar that is cozy and looks out at the e sea. Jimmy Buffets is a very simple bar, nothing fancy at all. It is decorated in pastels and at night they have karaoke or a singer. I can't say anything about the pool area because it was in the 60's last week. The buffet cafe is nothing fancy but the food was good. We described the Rea as very cafeteria like with VinAl covered seating and plain table tops. We attributed this to the fact that all surfaces could quickly be sanitized to reduce health issues "noro and so on". Ginza noodle bar is now a free dining option. This too has ocean views. The dinner was very flavorful. The theater shows were fantastic most of the nights. Their singers and dancers put on 2 shows that were the best we have ever seen on a ship. Here too, the carpets are new and so is the seating. Have a wonderful cruise. I hope this helped.

Pools were open normal hours and were heated to 80-82F; adult only hot tubs in the front of the ship were never opened, but the hot tubs next to the pools were. As others stated, the temp outside was fairly cold, so the pools went fairly unused. Not sure on the slides, never saw anyone use them, I would guess they were closed--your lips would be blue before you hit the pool otherwise...

Even though it was relatively slow, and was down for over a day, I really liked the unlimited wifi plan, only $25/day. My favorite drink deal was a flight of 6 different mojitos for only $15.

We used NCL excursions in a few of the ports, but used SPB Tours in Estonia and Russia as their offerings were a bit more to our liking--also allowed us to be in a group of 16 or less instead of the 60+ tour bus... Helsinki we simply paid $20pp for the Hop on Hop off bus; they sell the tickets at the port and take credit card--and it is cheaper than a taxi if going somewhere along their route.

It seemed to me that NCL is scaling back on the MDR menus in an effort to steer you towards the specialty restaurants, but they are clearly not the only line doing so; the food was acceptable, but nothing mouth watering or worth remembering.

Most of the evening entertainment was geared towards the average demographic; a fiddler, beatles music, remakes of other old bands, etc; only thing I would say I enjoyed was the new show Paradis (sp?); but you really are exhausted at the end of most days, so robust evening entertainment is far from critical

All in all, for such a busy itinerary, the Star served us very well for a place to sleep and catch a handful of meals. The itinerary itself is excellent! We were lucky that we had sun pretty much every day at port but 1 wherein it sprinkled all day, the forecast before going was for rain most days, not sure how that would have impacted things, but glad I did not have to find out.

We used NCL excursions in a few of the ports, but used SPB Tours in Estonia and Russia

What was you experience like getting off the boat in St Petersburg the first day using an outside tour company? Were you in a suite? Did NCL try to prevent you from getting off? Thanks! (Sorry to keep asking same question everyone, just trying to get multiple views. :))