Excursions on our own?

shandean

We do plan to go to Denali Park... hence the shuttle to the visitor center.

Sorry, this isn't even 1 % of the potential experience. It is not enough to get "to" Denali Park- you HAVE to get INTO it, frankly to make it worthwhile. The time to just get there, in my opinion isn't worth bothering going there if you don't. The "Visitor Center" is a 1 hour look, at the most.

You've made it clear this is your choice, so this is a general comment for other's to investigate and consider http://www.nps.gov/dena

Edited by Budget Queen

Another specific question: Are you prohibited from taking food in your land portion luggage? I'm strictly low carb and not sure I'll have a lot of choices for snacks.

We carried snacks and water in our backpacks, which we kept with us on the bus or train. The rest of your luggage is transported separately, usually on a truck, to show up at your room. Just wanted to make sure you knew that you won't have immediate access to those bags.

We carried snacks and water in our backpacks, which we kept with us on the bus or train. The rest of your luggage is transported separately, usually on a truck, to show up at your room. Just wanted to make sure you knew that you won't have immediate access to those bags.

Thanks! I do realize that but I appreciate you pointing it out. I definitely don't need food on the cruise portion. :)

Thanks! I do realize that but I appreciate you pointing it out. I definitely don't need food on the cruise portion. :)

Yes, but I meant the bags for the land portion. You only keep a small bag with you as you move between stops. The rest of the bags that you need on the land travel to the next stop on a truck. So be sure to keep any snacks that you need with you and don't pack them in the bags you set out each morning that you travel. Sorry if this is obvious, but I have seen other questions on this recently. :o

Yes, but I meant the bags for the land portion. You only keep a small bag with you as you move between stops. The rest of the bags that you need on the land travel to the next stop on a truck. So be sure to keep any snacks that you need with you and don't pack them in the bags you set out each morning that you travel. Sorry if this is obvious, but I have seen other questions on this recently. :o

Gotcha! Thanks. :)