Excursions on our own?

shandean

We reserved our car through Avis and the address for pickup is in the Goldbelt Hotel, which doesn't look too far a walk.

I did some searching on this site about Dyea and the reviews seem mixed. Not a lot there still, but the history is intriguing. The lady I spoke with from Green Jeeps mentioned they give you the maps and guide for Dyea and the road to Emerald Lake. It was, however, $60 more than the rental car. :/

Depending on which dock you dock at the Goldbelt is within walking distance as some of the ships dock very close to town. We were on NCL Pearl which docks at AJ, the furthest away from everything.

From the AJ dock, if you are in good shape and don't mind walking about 2 1/2 miles, some of it uphill, it's doable. Otherwise you can take a cab for $7-9 or take the shuttle into town.

Depending on which dock you dock at the Goldbelt is within walking distance as some of the ships dock very close to town. We were on NCL Pearl which docks at AJ, the furthest away from everything.

From the AJ dock, if you are in good shape and don't mind walking about 2 1/2 miles, some of it uphill, it's doable. Otherwise you can take a cab for $7-9 or take the shuttle into town.

Even with NCL, they run a continuous FREE shuttle back and forth between the AJ dock and tram parking lot. Avis is a a very doable walk- if no mobility limitations. Actually a nice walk along the waterfront is an option rather than the street route.

I dont mean to jump on the bandwagon here.. But could Budget Queen tell me if kayaking in the Bay in Seward is as nice as Juneau.. i dont think i have time t kayak in Juneau.. but we want to try it..

We are 3 days in Seward. and did not think we shod try doing Denali.. were told that Seward has lot so nice stuff but would like to see a moose.. Can she tell me if Kenai fjord is pretty much the same as other glaciers? We are missing Glacier Bay NP but our ship does go to Sawyer Glacier

There is nothing special about kayaking in the bay, it also can be rougher. I instead suggest you consider a superior kayaking trip- since you have the time- and look at one that goes to Aialik Glacier. FAR FAR nicer.

You aren't likely to see any moose in Seward. Do you have a car? In Anchorage, Kincaid Park is pretty good odds seeing moose, also, if driving the Sterling Highway out to Soldotna, I seen moose pretty frequently.

With your stay in Seward- NOPE Kenai fjords is not the "same" as anywhere else. BUT you have to get there which means, touring Exit Glacier and getting a boat tour with at least 6 hours on the water. It isn't enough to just "go" to Seward.

Even with NCL, they run a continuous FREE shuttle back and forth between the AJ dock and tram parking lot. Avis is a a very doable walk- if no mobility limitations. Actually a nice walk along the waterfront is an option rather than the street route.

When we were there last week, the shuttle had over an hour wait even though we waited to get off the ship. We started walking, up hill around the fuel tanks and decided to take a cab. There was no clear indication that there was any other option to walk using the water front, otherwise we would have probably done that.

When we were there last week, the shuttle had over an hour wait even though we waited to get off the ship. We started walking, up hill around the fuel tanks and decided to take a cab. There was no clear indication that there was any other option to walk using the water front, otherwise we would have probably done that.

The lines of people were backed up to the ship?? They would have to be? it's a 10 minute loop ride, I have never seen any hour waits, and they always have more than one bus running. At most, I've waited 10 minutes while a bus fills. (I sailed NCL 4 times last year)

Who told you it was an hour wait? It must have been some kind of "crisis" going on as it was not normal.

The waterfront walkway doesn't start until the Franklin dock.

The lines of people were backed up to the ship?? They would have to be? it's a 10 minute loop ride, I have never seen any hour waits, and they always have more than one bus running. At most, I've waited 10 minutes while a bus fills. (I sailed NCL 4 times last year)

Who told you it was an hour wait? It must have been some kind of "crisis" going on as it was not normal.

The waterfront walkway doesn't start until the Franklin dock.

Yes it was looped around back to the ship. The people directing crowds told us it would be at least an hour wait for the shuttle. Like you said there must have been some situation if that is not the norm.

We reserved our car through Avis and the address for pickup is in the Goldbelt Hotel, which doesn't look too far a walk.

I did some searching on this site about Dyea and the reviews seem mixed. Not a lot there still, but the history is intriguing. The lady I spoke with from Green Jeeps mentioned they give you the maps and guide for Dyea and the road to Emerald Lake. It was, however, $60 more than the rental car. :/

I'm seeing $139 (160 once all their fees are added) for an Avis car. And $180 for two-door Jeep. However, I've emailed the Green Jeep agency and they haven't emailed me back. I have a reservation at Avis, so we will probably just go with that.

Has anyone stayed at Princess Lodge in McKinley or Denali? We have a day at each. I'm particularly interested in whether we have independent excursion options while staying there. Or, since the lodges are owned and operated by Princess, do they kind of have a monopoly on what you do while staying there?

If we get a shuttle from the lodge to Denali park visitor center, is there anything worth doing within walking distance of the visitor center, since we won't have transportation? Maybe hiking?

Edited by shandean

There is nothing special about kayaking in the bay, it also can be rougher. I instead suggest you consider a superior kayaking trip- since you have the time- and look at one that goes to Aialik Glacier. FAR FAR nicer.

You aren't likely to see any moose in Seward. Do you have a car? In Anchorage, Kincaid Park is pretty good odds seeing moose, also, if driving the Sterling Highway out to Soldotna, I seen moose pretty frequently.

With your stay in Seward- NOPE Kenai fjords is not the "same" as anywhere else. BUT you have to get there which means, touring Exit Glacier and getting a boat tour with at least 6 hours on the water. It isn't enough to just "go" to Seward.

No we don't have a car.. we are coming by cruise ship.. Would it be a good idea to get some kind of day trip tour out of town for the day and are there any I can find in Seward???.. I was thinking about the boat trips to Kenai Frjords.. Who would I get to these other places if i have no car. I am doing a dog sled tour on the glacier the first day in Seward.. the other 2 days are rather open.. You seem to have a lot of knowledge.

Some of the Kayak outfitters in Seward offer Kayak trips to lakes and rivers i think. would this be better? It would be my first time so i think a half day easy kayak is for me..

Edited by squeeky336

1. There is no reason to book any ship excursions. Even in the very extremely unlikely possibility that you miss the ship, it is an easy plane flight to the next port and a reputable tour company will handle the cost.

2. My wife and I are not young. We took our 10 year old granddaughter to the Lumberjack show. She enjoyed it a lot and even though it was totally hokey and silly, it was a fun to do once.

DON

1. There is no reason to book any ship excursions. Even in the very extremely unlikely possibility that you miss the ship, it is an easy plane flight to the next port and a reputable tour company will handle the cost.

2. My wife and I are not young. We took our 10 year old granddaughter to the Lumberjack show. She enjoyed it a lot and even though it was totally hokey and silly, it was a fun to do once.

DON

Agreed... I did book a whale watch with an outside company in Juneua.. I also booked geo cashing for my boyfriend in Ketchikan it is a new fad he wants to do.. But i did need a tour to the Yukon if i wanted to see that in Skagway.. I did agin book with a local company

No we don't have a car.. we are coming by cruise ship.. Would it be a good idea to get some kind of day trip tour out of town for the day and are there any I can find in Seward???.. I was thinking about the boat trips to Kenai Frjords.. Who would I get to these other places if i have no car. I am doing a dog sled tour on the glacier the first day in Seward.. the other 2 days are rather open.. You seem to have a lot of knowledge.

Some of the Kayak outfitters in Seward offer Kayak trips to lakes and rivers i think. would this be better? It would be my first time so i think a half day easy kayak is for me..

Have you looked at the activities available in Seward? http://www.seward.com I'll speculate there aren't any "out of town" worthwhile options. IF this is of interest- then rent a car for a day with Hertz.

Kenai fjords http://www.majormarine.com http://www.kenaifjords.com Don't consider any tours, less than 6 hours on the water.

I gave my opinion on a top kayak choice. "lake" and bay options are no comparison.

Where did u find geocaching excursion? We would love that We are cachers and are booked on crown princess aug 29.

I got it from Wild Wolf tours i Ketchikan.. I talked ot the owner onm the phone.. this is thier website

http://wildwolftours.com/

I actually dont know much about geo caching.. But i might go with him.. I want to see the totem pole park.

Alright! I've been working hard to nail down an itinerary and finally have all our days scheduled (to the extent we WANT them scheduled). Only thing remaining is our last day after the Princess cruise is over (EARLY), and we have until our 11:30PM flight in Vancouver, so my next focus is to fill up that full day.

-Anchorage: Morning/afternoon, Rent bikes for the day and do the entire length of the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail (hoping to see moose!). Evening, go to 'Bear Tooth Theater Pub' for dinner/beer/movie'.

-McKinley: Arrive in afternoon, then Byers Lake Paddle Trip (through Princess).

-Denali: Shuttle to Denali Park Visitor Center. Evening 'Covered Wagon Adventure with Backcountry Dining' (through Princess).

-Travel to Anchorage, board ship, next two days Scenic Cruising.

-Skagway: Rent a vehicle and drive to Emerald Lake, then back down to Dyea if we have time.

-Juneau: Get shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier. Also walk around the city as we have time, or maybe a trolley tour.

-Ketchikan: Duck tour at 11:30 (90 mins), meander and get shuttle to 'The Point' for lunch and art looking/buying. Then hike Rainbird Trail if we have time.

-Day at Sea

-Vancouver: Do some hiking in Lynn Canyon and general sightseeing around the city of Vancouver. ???

Another specific question: Are you prohibited from taking food in your land portion luggage? I'm strictly low carb and not sure I'll have a lot of choices for snacks.

Alright! I've been working hard to nail down an itinerary and finally have all our days scheduled (to the extent we WANT them scheduled). Only thing remaining is our last day after the Princess cruise is over (EARLY), and we have until our 11:30PM flight in Vancouver, so my next focus is to fill up that full day.

-Anchorage: Morning/afternoon, Rent bikes for the day and do the entire length of the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail (hoping to see moose!). Evening, go to 'Bear Tooth Theater Pub' for dinner/beer/movie'.

-McKinley: Arrive in afternoon, then Byers Lake Paddle Trip (through Princess).

-Denali: Shuttle to Denali Park Visitor Center. Evening 'Covered Wagon Adventure with Backcountry Dining' (through Princess).

-Travel to Anchorage, board ship, next two days Scenic Cruising.

-Skagway: Rent a vehicle and drive to Emerald Lake, then back down to Dyea if we have time.

-Juneau: Get shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier. Also walk around the city as we have time, or maybe a trolley tour.

-Ketchikan: Duck tour at 11:30 (90 mins), meander and get shuttle to 'The Point' for lunch and art looking/buying. Then hike Rainbird Trail if we have time.

-Day at Sea

-Vancouver: Do some hiking in Lynn Canyon and general sightseeing around the city of Vancouver. ???

Another specific question: Are you prohibited from taking food in your land portion luggage? I'm strictly low carb and not sure I'll have a lot of choices for snacks.

Keep in mind that public transit isn't very convenient to Lynn Canyon. If you want a hike/walk , take the walk from from Canada Place to Science World via the Seawall . Then continue on to Granville Island . Then back to your hotel.

Keep in mind that public transit isn't very convenient to Lynn Canyon. If you want a hike/walk , take the walk from from Canada Place to Science World via the Seawall . Then continue on to Granville Island . Then back to your hotel.

Thanks! I will look into that now.

Thanks! I will look into that now.

Also at any point in the walk if you want to back to your hotel or see something interesting you can can change your plans . When you get opposite you might decide to strait to Granville Island , there is a ferry that will take you across False Creek.

Are you sure you don't want to go into Denali Park? You will travel a loooong way to get there and back.

Are you sure you don't want to go into Denali Park? You will travel a loooong way to get there and back.

This hopefully is an additional list? It should be a "given" getting at least to Eielson, in my opinion. No point in even going there otherwise. :) (my Disneyland analogy- if anyone would plan a trip there and not get past Main Street?, I highly doubt it :) )

This hopefully is an additional list? It should be a "given" getting at least to Eielson, in my opinion. No point in even going there otherwise. :) (my Disneyland analogy- if anyone would plan a trip there and not get past Main Street?, I highly doubt it :) )

Looks like 2.5 hours from our lodge to Eielson. There just doesn't seem to be time. I appreciate your opinion, but there's not time to do everything!