Questions About Traveling with a Wheelchair and Rollator

Shawski

My husband has Parkinson’s Disease and it now has progressed to the point where he needs a wheelchair for longer distances and his rollator for shorter distances. This summer we will be going on a two week cruise to the Norwegian Fjords flying into and out of Copenhagen connecting in Atlanta and Amsterdam. It will be the first time we will be traveling with a wheelchair and rollator.

I am very confused as to the best way to handle all of this. We will probably take his rollator and check it through to the final destination. This will enable him to use the rollator on the ship and at the pre-cruise hotel. Is there any reason that is not a good idea? Should we keep the rollator with us and check it at each leg of the trip?

I am also trying to figure out what to do about a wheelchair. Should we rent the wheelchair for the cruise and get wheelchair assistance in the airports or should we take his wheelchair and I will push it myself? We will only have one carryon and a tote bag so my husband could probably hold these in his lap while I push.

I would really appreciate any ideas from those of you who have experience dealing with these things.

Get help in the airports....not only will it help you it will get you to your destinations directly....no standing looking at signs,etc to get the wheelchair where it needs to go....will lesson the stress of airports....the service has vastly improved....there is usually one waiting for me.....

Can he make the wheelchair do double duty by pushing it as a walker when he is up to it, then sitting in it when he needs more assistance?

When walking he can put the carry-ons on the seat to make it easier all around.

Renting a wheelchair for the ship is easy to do. It will be waiting in your cabin when you arrive, and you just leave it there at the end of the cruise.

Airports, and at the pier, is easily enough accomplished by using provided wheelchairs---although it puts you somewhat out of control of the timeframes.

Can he make the wheelchair do double duty by pushing it as a walker when he is up to it, then sitting in it when he needs more assistance?

When walking he can put the carry-ons on the seat to make it easier all around.

Though your intentions where good using a standard wheelchair and or a standard transport chair should never be used as substitute for a rollator or walker as it's a potential safety issue for the user. Reasons being :

• The center of gravity is different for a wheelchair when no one is seated in the chair and it can tip over causing the user to fall.
  • The handle bars of wheelchair are generally not able to be adjusted as like that if a rollator and can do more harm to the user than good.

Triumph Mobility makes the Rollz Rollator & Transport Chair in One and Drive Medical makes the Duet Rollator/Transport Chair which are specifically designed to be used as a rollator and transport chair.

Edited by xxoocruiser

My husband has Parkinson’s Disease and it now has progressed to the point where he needs a wheelchair for longer distances and his rollator for shorter distances. This summer we will be going on a two week cruise to the Norwegian Fjords flying into and out of Copenhagen connecting in Atlanta and Amsterdam. It will be the first time we will be traveling with a wheelchair and rollator.

I am very confused as to the best way to handle all of this. We will probably take his rollator and check it through to the final destination. This will enable him to use the rollator on the ship and at the pre-cruise hotel. Is there any reason that is not a good idea? Should we keep the rollator with us and check it at each leg of the trip?

I am also trying to figure out what to do about a wheelchair. Should we rent the wheelchair for the cruise and get wheelchair assistance in the airports or should we take his wheelchair and I will push it myself? We will only have one carryon and a tote bag so my husband could probably hold these in his lap while I push.

I would really appreciate any ideas from those of you who have experience dealing with these things.

It's recommended that you do not check the rollator through as luggage to the final destination. Reason being you increase the chances of it being damaged. Mobility devices should always be gate checked.

Suggest you take both the rollator and the wheelchair. Both should be gate checked. Once at the airport you can request an attendant to push the wheelchair and you than push the walker to the gate. Depending on your husbands capability the rollator could also be folded and he hold it while seated in the wheelchair. This is what I do when traveling through airports.

Thanks for all of your responses. I have an additional question.

We have long layovers (arranged that way on purpose) at Atlanta and Amsterdam. If we request wheelchair assistance at the airports (as opposed to using our own) will they drop you off at a location (i.e. restaurant, airline lounge) then come back and pick you up when you are ready to go to the gate?

It seems like it would be easier to have our own wheelchair which I would push so we can go wherever we want to go, whenever we want to do it. But then, I'm not sure what to do with carryon and rollator. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all of your responses. I have an additional question.

We have long layovers (arranged that way on purpose) at Atlanta and Amsterdam. If we request wheelchair assistance at the airports (as opposed to using our own) will they drop you off at a location (i.e. restaurant, airline lounge) then come back and pick you up when you are ready to go to the gate?

It seems like it would be easier to have our own wheelchair which I would push so we can go wherever we want to go, whenever we want to do it. But then, I'm not sure what to do with carryon and rollator. Any thoughts?

I have traveled with a rollator for about 10 years. Definitely GATE CHECK it (NOT luggage check it). As for wheelchair assistance, ask to be delivered to restaurant or airport lounge. Then when you're ready to leave, ask restaurant or lounge personnel to call for wheelchair assistance to your gate. (Be sure to allow time for them to show up.) Wheelchair pushers are fairly busy, so the probability that the same person will do both "halves" is fairly low. In most airports, your service personnel will appreciate gratuities.

I have traveled with a rollator for about 10 years. Definitely GATE CHECK it (NOT luggage check it). As for wheelchair assistance, ask to be delivered to restaurant or airport lounge. Then when you're ready to leave, ask restaurant or lounge personnel to call for wheelchair assistance to your gate. (Be sure to allow time for them to show up.) Wheelchair pushers are fairly busy, so the probability that the same person will do both "halves" is fairly low. In most airports, your service personnel will appreciate gratuities.

Thanks. Sounds pretty easy.