Sony A6000

c230k

I know, it's what I have been waiting for. At the age of 73 have decided to go to one camera and the Rx100III is the ticket.

You know where all my Sony toys are going (eBay)

My wife will love the fact I have only camera to take on a cruise lol

Tom :cool:

I know, it's what I have been waiting for. At the age of 73 have decided to go to one camera and the Rx100III is the ticket.

You know where all my Sony toys are going (eBay)

My wife will love the fact I have only camera to take on a cruise lol

Don't use ebay except as last resort...

Try the forums dyxum.com and E-mount Talk (I forget the exact website).

By the time you pay the ebay and paypal fees, you may just be better off selling to someplace like keh.com

I forget.. which toys do you have? Maybe some people around here would be interested.

And the RX100 is a great all-in-one solution for casual use. It was actually the original RX100, 4 years ago, that got me excited about photography again. And led me in the opposite direction --- I just sold my RX100 a couple months ago. I'm not without any P&S. Though I realized I have 3 different sensor sizes in the family.. I have full frame (D750), APS-C (A6300), and my son has 1" (Nikon J3), and of course we have a couple phones.

By the time you pay the ebay and paypal fees, you may just be better off selling to someplace like keh.com

I forget.. which toys do you have? Maybe some people around here would be interested.

I do good on eBay even with their fees, it's more than I would get from KEH. The camera equipment I sell is always like new, well taken care of. The wife and I decided to go point and shoot.

I have

Sony 70-200mm F4 plus black lens cover to use on lens to cover the white color

Sony 50mm 1.8

Sony A6000, with Gariz case and lcd screen cover since new.

Sony 18-200mm

Sony A6300 with Sony 16-50mm lens

Sony 18-105mm F4

Sony 10-18mm F4

Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye II

(2) Sony Alpha a6000 Thumb Grip by Lensmate Black

tpaull@cfl.rr.com

Edited by c230k

Though I realized I have 3 different sensor sizes in the family.. I have full frame (D750), APS-C (A6300), and my son has 1" (Nikon J3), and of course we have a couple phones.

Do you own anything without a Sony sensor? :)

Dave

Dave

It just occurred to me that the J3 probably uses an Aptina sensor since I don't think Sony ever made a 1" sensor less than 20mp.

I was close!

Dave

Edited by pierces

Dave

lol, I don't think so.

It's one reason I went from Sony to Nikon -- I loved the sensor performance, but had other issues with A-mount.

I will say -- Nikon knows how to make the most out of the Sony sensors. The more I've played with the A6300, and the more I've seen and read, including some good tools on dpreview --- Nikon really gets the most out of the dynamic range on those sensors. On the D750 (and according to dpreview, the D7200 has similar behavior), I can lift shadows to the max, I can increase exposure in post by 3-5 EVs, all without adding much noise. It completely changes how I shoot and post-process. I can really preserve highlights and lift in post. With other cameras, including the A6300, I can't safely underexpose with as much latitude.

On the other hand, I'm having very mixed feelings about how the A6300 handles noise. On the one hand, I took a candid of my daughter at ISO 12,800 -- and was rather impressed. It was entirely usable. On the other hand, I have to keep the ISO really really low to get a perfect shot. (No more than ISO 400, maybe 800).

When I finally get the new Nikon AF adapter, I'm looking forward to trying the A6300 with some of the better Nikon lenses (the 85/1.8, the 300/4, and the Tamron 24-70/2.8, particularly).

I do good on eBay even with their fees, it's more than I would get from KEH. The camera equipment I sell is always like new, well taken care of. The wife and I decided to go point and shoot.

I have

Sony 70-200mm F4 plus black lens cover to use on lens to cover the white color

Sony 50mm 1.8

Sony A6000, with Gariz case and lcd screen cover since new.

Sony 18-200mm

Sony A6300 with Sony 16-50mm lens

Sony 18-105mm F4

Sony 10-18mm F4

Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye II

(2) Sony Alpha a6000 Thumb Grip by Lensmate Black

tpaull@cfl.rr.com

Great collection... if we had spoken a few months ago, I might have taken a bunch of that off your hands. (In the last few months, I bought the 50/1.8, the 10-18 and the 70-200/4, all used). Got a price in mind for the fisheye?

I'm teaching a photography class tonight. If anyone is looking, I'll send them your way.

Great collection... if we had spoken a few months ago, I might have taken a bunch of that off your hands. (In the last few months, I bought the 50/1.8, the 10-18 and the 70-200/4, all used). Got a price in mind for the fisheye?

To be fair email me for additional info on the fisheye (was bought at B&H)

I do not want to start an eBay on this web site. lol

To be fair email me for additional info on the fisheye (was bought at B&H)

I do not want to start an eBay on this web site. lol

Hmm, this forum doesn't seem to have direct messages. Feel free to email me at picklepiephoto@gmail.com

Just wondering on the fisheye, It's the one type of lens I've never shot with.

Just wondering on the fisheye, It's the one type of lens I've never shot with.

The Rokinon 8mm is another gem that slugs way above it's weight.

Shot with the NEX-7

p493474994-5.jpg

p350597400-5.jpg

Heavily cropped to be panorama-like

p498284561-5.jpg

p313448219-5.jpg

Later with the A6000 - Center area crop - vignetting added

p700516081-5.jpg

Fun lens! You tend to shoot more than you keep since not everything looks attractive through this lens but the keepers are often inspiring.

Dave

Edited by pierces

The Rokinon 8mm is another gem that slugs way above it's weight.

Shot with the NEX-7

p493474994-5.jpg

p350597400-5.jpg

Heavily cropped to be panorama-like

p498284561-5.jpg

p313448219-5.jpg

Later with the A6000 - Center area crop - vignetting added

p700516081-5.jpg

Fun lens! You tend to shoot more than you keep since not everything looks attractive through this lens but the keepers are often inspiring.

Dave

Great shots. Definitely a consideration. I have the 10-18, and I usually prefer the normal view. So need to consider whether I would really get much use out of this. And whether I'd even bring it on vacations, etc, where my camera bag is already pretty full.

Great shots. Definitely a consideration. I have the 10-18, and I usually prefer the normal view. So need to consider whether I would really get much use out of this. And whether I'd even bring it on vacations, etc, where my camera bag is already pretty full.

It is tiny....;)

Dave

It is tiny....;)

Dave

lol..... You're a good salesman. And my 24/1.8 is tiny, and the 50/1.8 and 10-18/4 are fairly compact.... really, the 70-200/4 is the only "big" lens I have for the A6300.

But unless I change to a much larger camera bag, I can carry on vacation -- My 2 camera bodies (A6300 + D750), my smaller speedlight, and 5 lenses. I will likely carry the 70-200/4 in my suitcase, not in the camera bag. I only intend to use it a couple of days, but I critically need it for those days. (Doing a special safari at Disney World after my cruise).

So 5 lenses.

Most likely: For D750, 24-70/2.8 and 45/1.8. MAYBE my 14/2.8 or 18-35

For A6300: 24/1.8, 10-18 and 70-200/4.

If I carry the 70-200/4 in my suitcase, it's still a very tight camera bag with the 4 remaining lenses. But it might let me squeeze in 1 more lens -- Maybe 14/2.8, Nikon 18-35, or Nikon 85/1.8 (with adapter to use on Sony or Nikon).

It's going to be a 20 lb camera bag, so I won't carry everything every day. At Disney World, outside of safari, I expect I'll carry:

D750 + 45/1.8 and A6300 + 10-18. 2 bodies, 2 lenses.

Cruise ship: D750 + 24-70/2.8 + speedlight.

Cruise excursions: A6300 + 10-18 + 24/1.8. (maybe I should add the 50/1.8 for excursion portraits).

Disney Animal Kingdom -- A6300 + 10-18 + 24/1.8 + 70-200.

Hmmm, this kinda works.

New 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 FE "G" lens coming out in May.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2723959086/sony-announces-50mm-f1-8-and-70-300mm-f4-5-5-6-full-frame-lenses

Not floating my boat at the moment but news is news!

Dave

Sample images look pretty good.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di_photo_gallery/?mode=lenses&camera=ilc&mount=E-mount&lmount=E-mount&lens=FE%2070-300mm%20F4.5-5.6%20G%20OSS

Still leaning toward the 70-200 f/4 but could be swayed if the full tests of the 70-300 show that focusing and IQ is on par or near.

I guess we'll know in a couple of months.

Dave

The 70-300mm lens announcement was pretty much the final straw for me to go ahead and pick up the A6300. I was likely getting one anyway - love my A6000, and liked all the little upgrades - but I figured since I just preordered the A68, I'd wait until later in the year for the A6300. But now with the 70-300mm lens, I think the A6300 plus that lens is the absolutely perfect summer birding rig - the extra reach over my 70-200mm F4 will be vital at times, and the size is nearly the same. The A68 will almost always have the Tamron 150-600mm mounted on it, for the long-reach needs...though I intend to occasionally play with the A6300 and LA-EA3 with the big Tammy just for fun.

The A6000 & A580 will both go to backup duty once the new cameras arrive - I got rid of most of my other previous camera bodies which have been sitting around as backups (another A580, A550, and NEX-5N).

The 70-300mm lens announcement was pretty much the final straw for me to go ahead and pick up the A6300. I was likely getting one anyway - love my A6000, and liked all the little upgrades - but I figured since I just preordered the A68, I'd wait until later in the year for the A6300. But now with the 70-300mm lens, I think the A6300 plus that lens is the absolutely perfect summer birding rig - the extra reach over my 70-200mm F4 will be vital at times, and the size is nearly the same. The A68 will almost always have the Tamron 150-600mm mounted on it, for the long-reach needs...though I intend to occasionally play with the A6300 and LA-EA3 with the big Tammy just for fun.

The A6000 & A580 will both go to backup duty once the new cameras arrive - I got rid of most of my other previous camera bodies which have been sitting around as backups (another A580, A550, and NEX-5N).

You might be so surprised by the Tamron 150-600 on the A6300 with adapter, that you won't even need an A-mount body.

I'll be really curious to see your performance with it on the long end.

Justin:

I've been thinking about your enthusiasm regarding this lens and it got me doing some research.

Notes to self:

FE 70-300MM F4.5-5.6 G

1. Three-year newer design incorporating the new aspherical and low dispersion elements with their new anti-reflective coatings.

2. Linear focusing motors - silent.

3. OSS and weather-sealing.

4. 300 on the long end (but at f/5.6).

5. Full-frame if, God forbid, I ever pop for an A7x body.

FE 70-200 mm F4 G

1. Internal focus and zoom.

2. Linear focusing motors - silent.

3. More sophisticated OSS (panning mode) and weather-sealing.

4. Constant f/4 max aperture

5. Full-frame.

Size and weight are similar, so at this point I'm biased towards the 70-200 because of it's focus speed and stellar image quality. If the tests and samples on the 70-300 show similar focus speed and IQ, I'll probably have to break out a coin and let some imprinted historical figure decide for me.

First World problems...

Dave

You might be so surprised by the Tamron 150-600 on the A6300 with adapter, that you won't even need an A-mount body.

I'll be really curious to see your performance with it on the long end.

I am looking forward to it. I should have the A6300 Monday - the A68 won't come until May. The main reasons I decided on picking up the A68 to replace the A580 were: ergonomically, it's still generally a little better for handheld walkaround to have the larger body and grip of the DSLR-style body on that long lens; stabilization is still very useful when I'm shooting in darker shade and forest cover; battery life in general should still be a bit more robust, even with the EVF on the A68, due to the much larger capacity batteries those cameras use (and since I already have two FM500 batteries from previous cameras ready to use as backups, I'll have 3 to rotate).

Still, the 150-600mm should be fun to try on the A6300, not only for the long reach ability but I also wanted to see how I could get along on some basic BIF work with that combo. I'll be limited to 3fps with AF-C when using the LA-EA3, but it should still let me get a feel for how well it keeps up with A-mount lenses that long.

The A68 was so cheap that it was an easy pickup for me - even if A-mount were to fold completely a year from now, it's such a minimal investment for such a big upgrade over my A580 (much better focus system, many more cross-type and non-cross focus points, much more focus control parameters, better ISO implementation with shutter floor settable and top and bottom settable, better body customization, top LCD plate, 24MP sensor). And it's essentially paid for with the trade-in values I got for my 2nd A580 and old A550...it was a very easy decision!

Dave,

Agreed on the analysis between the two. My initial thought was to maybe sell my 70-200mm F4 when I get the 70-300mm lens - assuming as you say that IQ and focus performance are close or a match...but I'm torn because the 70-200mm is a lovely lens, and especially strong at portrait, with that nice, fast F4 at 200mm...so I'm thinking I'd hold onto both. Only if I find the 70-300mm can pretty much match the overall IQ, feel, focus speed, and performance of the 70-300mm lens in the 70-200mm range, and the loss of F4 aperture proved to be not very noticeable or impactful...then I might consider selling off the 70-200mm F4 at that point. If the 70-300mm can't quite match what the 70-200mm F4 can do in that 200mm range for portraiture, then I'll keep the 70-200mm for that use, and use the 70-300mm for birding duties where the 300mm end will be more effective and where in good daylight the aperture won't affect most shots.

Edited by zackiedawg

...for portraiture

I have also been researching the Rokinon 85mm f/4 for a portrait and still-life lens. User reviews and the sample images show it to be the typical price/performance winner like 8mm f/2.8 fisheye and 12mm f/2. Focus assist and peaking on the Alphas make manual focusing a breeze (even with a Lensbaby), so it's lack of autofocus for still and posed subjects is irrelevant.

Medium tele on APS-C and f/1.4 priced at $269. No adapter needed. Compared favorably to major manufacturer's versions at many times the price.

Decisions, decisions!

Dave

As a coffee drinker, I can not imagine using a cup like that except as a decoration. The diameter of the bottom is much smaller than the top of the cup. That invites spillage of the precious (coffee, 1 sugar, 1 creamer) which must never be allowed to happen. ;)

FYI: I'm not worth much until my second cup of the day.