Sony A6000

c230k

I'm going on a Mediterranean cruise in a few months and have just bought an A6000 with the 16-55 kit lens for the trip.

My question is will this lens be sufficient to produce good quality enlargements, say A3 or larger, or should I consider buying the expensive Zeiss 16-70mm ?

I know primes are much better but I don't want to change my lens on tours.

Any suggestions on a good zoom lens would be appreciated.

I'm going on a Mediterranean cruise in a few months and have just bought an A6000 with the 16-55 kit lens for the trip.

My question is will this lens be sufficient to produce good quality enlargements, say A3 or larger, or should I consider buying the expensive Zeiss 16-70mm ?

I know primes are much better but I don't want to change my lens on tours.

Any suggestions on a good zoom lens would be appreciated.

The 16-50 PZ kit lens is actually quite good. We just had the photo below printed at 24x36 on metal and it looks great:

p1556213187-5.jpg

Our Northeast/Canada trip last year was shot about 95% with the 16-50 and the 55-210.

Take a look and judge the lens yourself!

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/fallcolor

Enjoy the Med!

Dave

The LE version is an ok lens for a all-in-one option. The original SEL18200 was a bit sharper, though slightly larger and heavier. I never really looked at all-in-ones as an option since a lot of my photography is travel and family events where the 16-50 (remarkably good if you know it's limits) kit lens fit my needs best. I also usually carry a second body with the 55-210 (another winner withing it's limits) attached when a longer reach may be needed, so the long end of the 18-200 was covered as well. Both of the kit lenses are optically better than the 18-200 but the trade-off in image quality for convenience is a personal choice.

I recently picked up the 18-105 f/4 G lens a a sharper option for travel and while it certainly is better than the 16-50 optically, it is rather large (about the same as the 18-200). I got used to the size and was very pleased with the results but lugging the larger lens isn't for everyone. I did keep the 16-50 since it is an excellent jacket pocket option on the A6000 and will continue to be the choice for business travel.

If the reason you haven't used the camera in a year is the bulk of the 18-200, I would suggest picking up a 16-50 for your travel needs.

Here is a link to our late 2014 trip on the Allure. The 16-50 was used for the majority of the shots.

http://galleries.pptphoto.com/allure

Dave

Thank you. I am major considering purchasing the 16-50. Just a few days until we leave for our cruise so I need to get the purchase done. I also need to purchase filters. Thanks again. I appreciate the information.

As he always does, Dave has given you very good information and advice above. I'll add that I do have the 18-200mm lens as a walking around/travel lens for my a6000; I recognize the compromises, but when I am traveling, particularly with my spouse, changing lenses is often not the best option. The 18-200 has worked well for me for the purpose for which I bought it. (I have the 16-50mm kit lens as well, and often just keep that on the camera. I certainly would not want the 18-200 to be my only lens for the a6000.)

Here are a couple of images that I shot with the 18-200 during a trip to Paris last fall:

Opera%20House%20ceiling%20detail%202%201024x683_zpsgvlyzdck.jpg

(detall of the Chagall ceiling in the Paris Opera House, 68mm)

Place%20des%20Vosges%20fountain%202smaller%201024x741_zpsf1ssxchm.jpg

(Place des Vosges, 92mm)

Thanks for the info and pictures. Sure helps to make decisions. :)

RE: Video taking - I imagine this isn't breaking news, but I've gotten in the habit to do the following:

• Find my handhold and consciously keep it still so my finger never leaves the button
  • Shoot a couple seconds of "waste" before and after the actual scene, then trim them out in post - that way the main scene is relatively free from my "fumbling shakes" of camera manipulation.

I've procrastinated getting out my bag of InstaMorph and making a tiny nub on the button so it's easier to feel.

On another note: had to clean the sensor again after noticing all my San Diego pics had spots at high f/#'s. I can't remember the last time I changed a lens so it's a bit perplexing. Never had so much trouble with sensor gunk than with this camera.

On another 'nother note: Decided to sell my motorcycle as the missus doesn't like to ride anymore and it's not getting any miles - so that will go for a lens or two, especially if I can figure out a telephoto in the 300/f.4 range.

RE: Video taking trim them out in post - that way the main scene is relatively free from my "fumbling shakes" of camera manipulation.

I've procrastinated getting out my bag of InstaMorph and making a tiny nub on the button so it's easier to feel.

will go for a lens or two, especially if I can figure out a telephoto in the 300/f.4 range.

SHOOTR:

If you use a MAC, what software do you use for editing?

Good idea about using instsMorph - on to Walmart I go!

I began thinking about the problem of whether it was more important getting glass or an improved A6000. Leaning towards glass though Dave's recent posting comparing the two bodies also gives me pause.

Could break my budget for 2024 and get both?

Thanks,

Tom

SHOOTR:

If you use a MAC, what software do you use for editing?

Good idea about using instsMorph - on to Walmart I go!

I began thinking about the problem of whether it was more important getting glass or an improved A6000. Leaning towards glass though Dave's recent posting comparing the two bodies also gives me pause.

Could break my budget for 2024 and get both?

Thanks,

Tom

Depending on what you shoot, the glass may net you more than the body. If you shoot a lot of wildlife and sports, it would be a tough decision but if you do scenics and people, the glass might win.

Maybe wait to decide until after the reports on the 70-300 FE start rolling in in May?

For once, I'm telling you NOT to spend money! :)

Dave

Depending on what you shoot, the glass may net you more than the body. If you shoot a lot of wildlife and sports, it would be a tough decision but if you do scenics and people, the glass might win.

Maybe wait to decide until after the reports on the 70-300 FE start rolling in in May?

For once, I'm telling you NOT to spend money! :)

Dave

The only thing so far that gives me serious pause on the a6300 is the zero-lag viewfinder (but I've learned (re-learned - lol) to shoot in short bursts so the a6000 viewfinder mostly keeps up).

Otherwise, I think good, long, wide open glass will give me more of what I'm looking for for amateur birding, wildlife, etc.

70-300 G lens comes out next week...anybody pre-order it?

No info or extensive tests yet. Light on sample images.

Justin (zackiedawg) has me on the fence between this and the 70-200 f/4, so I am waiting with bated breath...:)

Dave

Edited by pierces

70-300 G lens comes out next week...anybody pre-order it?

No info or extensive tests yet. Light on sample images.

Justin (zackiedawg) has me on the fence between this and the 70-200 f/4, so I am waiting with bated breath...:)

Dave

My Lotto didn't pay last night, so no...:D

Well if I'm tempting you on the fence with the 70-200mm F4, I'll soon be offering a real devil's deal standing on both of your shoulders - because I've pre-ordered the 70-300mm and hope to be in the first shipment on May 4, so I should have it by May 6.

I am truly chomping at the bit to get a hold of that lens and test it - if indeed mine comes on May 6, it would be perfect as that's Friday night so I could head right out on Saturday and test it in the wetlands.

Well if I'm tempting you on the fence with the 70-200mm F4, I'll soon be offering a real devil's deal standing on both of your shoulders - because I've pre-ordered the 70-300mm and hope to be in the first shipment on May 4, so I should have it by May 6.

I am truly chomping at the bit to get a hold of that lens and test it - if indeed mine comes on May 6, it would be perfect as that's Friday night so I could head right out on Saturday and test it in the wetlands.

That makes you the official tester for the forum. We expect photos on Day two of ownership! :)

BTW, the fence I'm teetering on isn't go/no go, it's 70-200/70-300. The go is a given... ;)

Dave

Edited by pierces

BTW, the fence I'm teetering on isn't go/no go, it's 70-200/70-300. The go is a given... ;)

That makes two of us, you two keep this up and I might have to go back to work, or maybe the wife. lol It is great to be retired and have some toys. Both of you take really great pictures and I keep learning, thanks.

Tom :cool::cool:

Actual 70-300 FE samples and mini-review:

https://fstoppers.com/originals/first-hands-look-sony-fe-70-300mm-f45-56-lens-122829

The decision wheel is starting to spin faster...

Dave

If you're looking for a sports/wildlife lens, then the 70-300 may be the better choice. If you're looking for more of a long portrait lens, then the 70-200/4.

For my purposes, the 70-300 may be a better fit, but I need to decide if it's worth the trouble of selling my current 70-200 and changing.