Sony A6000

c230k

For shooting a house or cruise ship interior, how well would the Canon EF-S STM 10-18mm lens with a Fotodiox canon adapter work on a A6000? I think it'd be OK for outside landscape type shots, but I don't know about interior work due to the f4.5 minimum aperture. I do think I have an interest in longer term wide angle photography.

If money was no object, the sony 10-18mm would already be on order, but it is and our cruise is about 7 weeks away. That leaves 3 more reasonable ultra-wide options in the ~$300 range: the Rokinon 12mm f2.0, the Sony SEL16f28 lens with 12mm UW adapter, or the Canon ef-s stm 10-18mm lens with $100 fotodiox canon adapter.

My other alternative for wide, or tall, photography is to carefully take multiple pictures then combine them using photoshop photomerge.

If money ...no object, the sony 10-18mm would already be on order, but it is and our cruise is about 7 weeks away.

...other alternative for wide, or tall, photography is to carefully take multiple pictures then combine them using photoshop photomerge.

Maybe consider using Panorama taken as a vertical (90 degree) shot? It would give you a height equal to the normal width, and plenty of distance side to side. For myself that'd be the easiest way, with least opportunity for glitches in executing the patch-together software.

Heh. Reminding myself to try that: we leave in four (aaaah!) days on Eurodam.

the Rokinon 12mm f2.0, the Sony SEL16f28 lens with 12mm UW adapter, or the Canon ef-s stm 10-18mm lens with $100 fotodiox canon adapter.

My vote for the Rokinon. I picked one up last year and am very happy with the results I've gotten from it.

p1556229413-5.jpg

p1556231686-5.jpg

p1556231546-5.jpg

It is also very good at f/2.0

p968451891-5.jpg

Hope this helps in the decision process.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Is this the right one:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K3T3G9A/ref=twister_B00Q4SI80G?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The silver appears to be $80 less than the black, so trying to be sure I'm not looking at the wrong one. I could care less about color with that kind of savings.

Thanks!

That's the one. The number you are looking for is RK12M-E. The link is for the right lens, just with the -SIL color extension.

-$80 makes the silver even shinier!

Dave

Used the 18-105 for everything but the luau, used the 50/1.8 for it because most was after dark.

Showed the video you took on Kauai with the A6000 and the 18-105mm lens. She was very impressed! Didn't tell her initially that we have the same combo as she is afraid to take videos - remembering the shake problems years ago with our Fuji!

So when do we see the rest of the Kauai pictures?

My vote for the Rokinon. I picked one up last year and am very happy with the results I've gotten from it.

(snip)

Hope this helps in the decision process.

Dave

I decided to go with the known good option. The Rokinon lens should be here next week. Thanks for the pics.

Edited by flatlander321

That's the one. The number you are looking for is RK12M-E. The link is for the right lens, just with the -SIL color extension.

-$80 makes the silver even shinier!

Dave

I bought one for my last cruise, was worried about it being manual, but easy peasy what a great buy, I have never used a super wide angle before, I was a loser, now I AM A WINNER!!

John

Showed the video you took on Kauai with the A6000 and the 18-105mm lens. She was very impressed! Didn't tell her initially that we have the same combo as she is afraid to take videos - remembering the shake problems years ago with our Fuji!

So when do we see the rest of the Kauai pictures?

https://goo.gl/photos/WPZ2qAhBAFjPUjHA9

Thanks!

Edited by shootr

Dave

Dave is personally responsible for selling a ton of these lenses on here. :)

I love it. And the a6000 makes it pretty easy to use a manual focus lens.

DSC02425_zpsajpaojc1.jpg

I love it. And the a6000 makes it pretty easy to use a manual focus lens.

[/img][/url]

And as yet, no commission check...:(

Dave

I should add that all the airborne pics of scenery were shot blindly, holding the a6000 over my right shoulder and firing away in A-Mode. (Couple had some "Content-Aware" PS needed to rid my shirt out of the shot - another TY to Dave for posting that tip a while back)

It's this kind of technology, when used as intended, that makes once-in-a-lifetime experiences like this so over the top.

I wasn't constantly fussing with settings, just switching between video and still mode. In the tight confines of the helicopter, I was relegated to the awkward shooting position for much of it - but my mind was only on photography maybe 25% of the time - the rest was taking in the experience first hand and enjoying it to the fullest.

It's this kind of technology, when used as intended, that makes once-in-a-lifetime experiences like this so over the top.

I wasn't constantly fussing with settings, just switching between video and still mode. In the tight confines of the helicopter, I was relegated to the awkward shooting position for much of it - but my mind was only on photography maybe 25% of the time - the rest was taking in the experience first hand and enjoying it to the fullest.

I couldn't agree with you more!

Can you imagine trying to meter for this in real-time with a Minolta SRT-102?

p1947923477-5.jpg

It's a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

Yep, Dave is a bad influence!

His review of the new A6300 with the silent shutter convinced me that I had to replace one of my A6000 - also bought because of his review.

But alas, everyone seems to be out-of-stock and on0order!

SHOOTR: Thanks for podting! Qhwew is that tree-house located?

Tom

That little lens is not the best at any focal length when compared to any of the more expensive zooms or primes but if you understand it's limitations and quirks, it can produce amazing results.

(snip)

One of the best all-around "kit" lenses I have ever used, IMHO.

Dave

I did some testing with it today on the A3000 with the 16-50pz and was surprised. Don't shoot it wide open and move toward the middle of the zoom range, if possible. You are right, it is a hidden gem.

Why use it on the A3000? I had the 55-210 lens on the A6000 trying to learn to carry/use 2 cameras at the same time. Changing lenses in the open just won't be a good idea during some excursions. Somehow, I need to make 2 or 3 separate cameras work in a congested area with other people. Sometimes it's OK to be a geek.

I need to do a 1-1 comparison with the 18-55 and 16-50pz. For my use, the 18-55 is still more practical than the 16-50. However, the 18-55 that I have has been dropped/dinged previously, but still seems to work OK. The part that extends when zooming is (only) a little bit loose compared to the extension section of the 55-210 kit lens. I've looked for evidence it has an issue, but haven't found any in my pictures. The 1-1 comparison would settle that issue.

Edited by flatlander321

I'm thinking about a budget flash that would work on the A6000, and hopefully the A3000.

It would be nice if it would also work on the FZ-300, but that's only a bonus and maybe a longshot option.

In post #14 by Peety3 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331882

the article talks about the author's (owner of lensrental.com) equipment evolution then gets down to a recommended starting path for equipment. I have OK tripods, a range of OK lenses, but I don't have an external flash and probably should for informal group pictures.

I'm thinking about a budget flash that would work on the A6000, and hopefully the A3000.

It would be nice if it would also work on the FZ-300, but that's only a bonus and maybe a longshot option.

In post #14 by Peety3 in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331882

the article talks about the author's (owner of lensrental.com) equipment evolution then gets down to a recommended starting path for equipment. I have OK tripods, a range of OK lenses, but I don't have an external flash and probably should for informal group pictures.

I have the original HVL43 for the Sony/Minolta quick release mount that I adapt to the ne shoe. It has been a great unit but "budget" may not be in it's vocabulary. The new Multi-interfaee shoe version is About $400.

Alternatively, I have been looking at the Nissin Di700 Air kit. For $300 it comes with a RF remote trigger unit that can be used for multiple heads if ever needed and for $260 with the flash only. For portraiture and events like weddings, the camera-mounted trigger would allow mounting the flash on an off-axis handle with a small softbox and no dangling wires.

There are some other makes out there for much less, but I have no desire to risk my internal circuitry by rolling the dice to save a few bucks.

Dave

I'm thinking on buying the Nissan i40, for my Sony A6000 and A6300 also on dp forum they say it work great on the FZ300. Gary Fong gave this flat great reviews to use own the Sony. Like you have the FZ300, so I will buy and check it out.

Tom :cool:

It floats my boat entirely! Like foam-injected hulls.

I've been praying for a longer-reach E-mount lens, and this news is spot on - a 300mm, stabilized, high-quality (G), weather-resistant, E-mount native lens that's about the same size as the 70-200mm F4, and for less money. Yay!

I know some were hoping for a cheapie 70-300mm consumer-grade lens for general purpose, but at least a few of us long-time E-mounters have been hoping for a moderate sports/wildlife/birding lens with more reach than 200mm, and this one seems to fit the bill. Price-wise, it's very similar to Canon's 70-300mm F4-5.6L lens, which retails at $1,249.

It floats my boat entirely! Like foam-injected hulls.

...but at least a few of us long-time E-mounters have been hoping for a moderate sports/wildlife/birding lens with more reach than 200mm

With the G moniker, this could be a fantastic lens but my boat is staying on the trailer mostly because I am looking hard at the 70-200 f/4 G for events and landscapes. Combining the fact that "sports" will be limited to granddaughter's indoor gymnastics for a while and living in the land of boring brown birds pushes the 70-300 into second place in the tele-zoom race.

This doesn't mean I would never buy it...just that I have to choose based on probable use combined with certain "camera fund" limits before the sidelong glances turn into glares of disapproval. ;)

Now, when the grandson starts outdoor sports...I'll seriously consider backing the trailer down the ramp!

Happy shooting!

Dave

Would this be a better alternative

Sigma MC-11 Mount Converter/Lens Adapter (Sigma SA-Mount Lenses to Sony E) B&H # SIMC11S MFR # 89S965

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1234035-REG/sigma_89s965_mc_11_mount_adapter_for.html

Can use all the Sigma super zooms lens and a little less money and more choices.

Just a thought.

Tom :cool: