Speed Test for Sunshine Value Internet Pkg

ddlb

On the Sunshine now - got the social package for $25 but upgraded to Value package so I could do send emails and visit websites. See attached speedtest.net results in the middle of the ocean! Pleased - it works great in my opinon.

sunshine.jpg.cdbdba5b6747e51e044b3f7a118c4021.jpg

Could you give me more info on what the social and valhe package is? Sailing on the Sunshine in December and always love to stay in tough with my Mom as she watches my furbabies! Thanks!

Could you give me more info on what the social and valhe package is? Sailing on the Sunshine in December and always love to stay in tough with my Mom as she watches my furbabies! Thanks!

In case the OP doesn't come back here at least are the basics on those plans:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152

It would be so cool if it was on the Valor by our cruise in December!

The $25 value pack lets you use FB messenger to chat - and iPhone messenger to text back and forth to any iPhone - you can also check your FB page but can't do things like play games on FB if you do that. There are other apps like whatsapp (this allows you to text via wifi and not your cell phone provider) if the person you has the app also installed on their phone. It does not allow you to go to websites or send/receive email. That is why I upgraded. Originally I got it for updates from my dogsitter but for $60 I believe it is worth every penny - you cannot stream on this plan. You can always upgrade so if you start with the $25 plan and want more features you just pay the difference. You can use it on all your devices one at a time. The speed as indicated is pretty darn good all things considered. It is unlimited and the price is for the duration of your cruise. I'm using it right now and will be able to post this from the Sunshine!

The $25 value pack lets you use FB messenger to chat - and iPhone messenger to text back and forth to any iPhone - you can also check your FB page but can't do things like play games on FB if you do that. There are other apps like whatsapp (this allows you to text via wifi and not your cell phone provider) if the person you has the app also installed on their phone. It does not allow you to go to websites or send/receive email. That is why I upgraded. Originally I got it for updates from my dogsitter but for $60 I believe it is worth every penny - you cannot stream on this plan. You can always upgrade so if you start with the $25 plan and want more features you just pay the difference. You can use it on all your devices one at a time. The speed as indicated is pretty darn good all things considered. It is unlimited and the price is for the duration of your cruise. I'm using it right now and will be able to post this from the Sunshine!

So what settings do you put on your I-phone to make sure you don't rack up any roaming charges? I'm sure I will forget between now and December though. ;)

So what settings do you put on your I-phone to make sure you don't rack up any roaming charges? I'm sure I will forget between now and December though. ;)

Airplane mode. This turns off the phone transmissions. Then turn Wifi on.

Right - you put your smart phone in airplane mode - then turn wifi on then type login.com in Safari (or google). If you use a laptop or netbook you just type login.com in your browser. You then enter your folio # and birthdate. If you were previously signed into another device you can log out of it at the same time. BTW if your phone is in airplane mode I don't think you can text using your cellphone provider (which in my case costs $ .50 each depending on where I am) - so if you have some sort of roaming plan that allows for free texting I guess you would have to turn the phone back on - someone might want to clairfy this.

As far as downloading pictures (did you mean uploading?) I could not upload from my phone to FB on the $25 plan but can on the $60 plan - I wanted to post some pictures as we cruised for the folks back home so that was another reason I upgraded.

Right - you put your smart phone in airplane mode - then turn wifi on then type login.com in Safari (or google). If you use a laptop or netbook you just type login.com in your browser. You then enter your folio # and birthdate. If you were previously signed into another device you can log out of it at the same time. BTW if your phone is in airplane mode I don't think you can text using your cellphone provider (which in my case costs $ .50 each depending on where I am) - so if you have some sort of roaming plan that allows for free texting I guess you would have to turn the phone back on - someone might want to clairfy this.

As far as downloading pictures (did you mean uploading?) I could not upload from my phone to FB on the $25 plan but can on the $60 plan - I wanted to post some pictures as we cruised for the folks back home so that was another reason I upgraded.

There are apps that run via wifi that will allow you to talk or text to normal cellphones.

There are apps that run via wifi that will allow you to talk or text to normal cellphones.

Right - magicjack and textfree are a couple I have on my iPhone that allow you to make calls. I don't think the value package would be fast enough but I could be wrong. I think I will try them out later - good idea as I did wonder if I could make calls! Whatsapp allows you to text using your phone number to anyone who also has the app.