El Yunque National Forest

Cat54

We are doing a b2b in February 2016 out of San Juan. Wondering if anyone has done the RCI excursion to El Yunque National Forest. It would be the one that goes either to the airport after or would return you to the ship. We typically do not do ship excursion but would like to visit El Yunque. We are flying into San Juan a day early but be arriving too late in the day to rent a car to drive there. Any feedback about the forest and the excursion is greatly appreciated.

We are doing a b2b in February 2016 out of San Juan. Wondering if anyone has done the RCI excursion to El Yunque National Forest. It would be the one that goes either to the airport after or would return you to the ship. We typically do not do ship excursion but would like to visit El Yunque. We are flying into San Juan a day early but be arriving too late in the day to rent a car to drive there. Any feedback about the forest and the excursion is greatly appreciated.

I've taken the one that goes to the airport. I also avoid excursions but found this a convenient way to a) see something interesting, and b) find a better place to stash myself and luggage than an airport lounge (I think any place is better than an airport lounge).

I think El Yunque is a fantastic place. I used this excursion as an inspiration to make longer visits, which I've done every chance I get.

The Royal excursion will take you to 2-3 of the highlights - probably Yokahu Tower, La Coca falls, 1 or 2 others. It only gives you a taste, but in my opinion visiting Puerto Rico without seeing El Yunque is like visiting the Louvre without bothering to see the Mona Lisa.

I've taken the one that goes to the airport. I also avoid excursions but found this a convenient way to a) see something interesting, and b) find a better place to stash myself and luggage than an airport lounge (I think any place is better than an airport lounge).

I think El Yunque is a fantastic place. I used this excursion as an inspiration to make longer visits, which I've done every chance I get.

The Royal excursion will take you to 2-3 of the highlights - probably Yokahu Tower, La Coca falls, 1 or 2 others. It only gives you a taste, but in my opinion visiting Puerto Rico without seeing El Yunque is like visiting the Louvre without bothering to see the Mona Lisa.

Thank you for the feedback. Might be the first based excursion that we take in many years.

I appreciate the feedback too. We booked this tour for the same reasons you did. I haven't seen many reviews, so I am glad it's pretty much as promised.

PHXscuba

I too went to El Yunque but did not do a chip based tour because form what i learned you need to hike to La Mina. Are your tours hiking to the water fall or just a drive?

I would definitely do the hike was the highlight of El Yunque.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're flying in the night before, you can still rent a car and go in the morning before you get on the ship. All-aboard isn't until 4:30pm. Our group is doing this before we embark; we're planning to get up early and go in the morning and come back to old San Juan for lunch, then drop off the group and the luggage while one person goes back to the airport to return the car.

Everyone and their mother (and all of the tour buses) go to La Mina Falls. If your idea of a tranquil rainforest waterfall doesn't involve 100 of your newest, closest friends ... skip La Mina Falls.

Edited by RayInPR

Everyone and their mother (and all of the tour buses) go to La Mina Falls. If your idea of a tranquil rainforest waterfall doesn't involve 100 of your newest, closest friends ... skip La Mina Falls.

I somewhat second this. The pool beneath the falls is cluttered with screaming banshees.

However the trail along the river has a number of nice little cascades. And if you get there very very early you might beat the hooters and hollerers.

If you want to skip the crowds you can take the longish hike to the tops of Yunque and Los Picachos, or drive to the Mt Britton parking lot and do the short hike to the tower. Both give spectacular views.

Of course the Visitor Center and Yokahu Tower are also viable.

I didnt experience that, of coarse there were people, i would say about 10-15 people in total. Maybe it's because the tour i was on must have beat most other tour departures. That might be the trick, the earlier the better, because it is a nice hike/view/ experience.

I also got a nice Island type tour through local communities.