Legend of the Seas?!?

jamiski

Hi Carol , jamie and everyone on the board

Sorry I haven't been keeping up latley . We have had such a busy weekend already and this cold is really getting me down a bit . I am going to go back and read all the posts maybe tomorrow, but I think for tonight it is going to be early to bed for me .

I have also been doing the tug of was over this Bermuda trip , I'm afraid in late October we may not be able to enjoy yhe beaches that much . I'm also thinking if noone joins us we may cancel or take our chances for September so we can swim and just relax in the sand .

Well I miss chatting with everyone but I'm feeling so tried , so off to dreamland for me

Good night everyone !

Glad to hear they enforce the Solarium area. My mom lived in the Adult Pool area on the Voyager. She hates to play the 'pool chair game' and likes to read by the pool. If there is a bunch of misbehaving kiddos or boozers at the main pool, I like having the option of the Adult area.

Hope you and Settingsail enjoy the rest of you weekend, ours is officially over tomorrow morning (My honey works Sunday to Thursday). I will join him at lunch tomorrow to look at the Cruise ships, it is the last weekend of the Alaska ships in port. Most of them are now going to repo or will sail crew only to the next port.

I liked what you had to say about the roominess of the ship and the beauty. I just find the food really going down hill on RCCI and since that is such a big part of cruising I wonder how the Legend stacks up?

My husband and I have recently returned from a wonderful 14 ;) day Meditterrannean cruise on the Legend out of Southampton England. I am an American originally from Miami, florida but now live in England. I can assure you that the ship is absolutely beautiful and spotlessly clean. The natural light and all of the glass, offer such wonderful views of the sea no matter where you are onboard. The 7 story centrum with glass elevators and marble staircase is very stylish and elegant. The service was excellent..the crew couldn't do enough for you and were very friendly. We enjoyed the food and were very happy with the variety on offer both in the formal dining room and the Windjammer. The Romeo and Juliet dining room is on two levels, with a wonderful winding staircase and is so lovely. Lights and Mirrors reflect the level above..and with the walls of glass looking out to the sea, there were amazing sunsets during dinner. We ate most of our meals..all breakfasts and all of our lunches..in the Windjammer. We loved the panoramic views across the bow from all the wrap around windows. It was wonderful at breakfast to have a different port each day for a backdrop.. Beautiful scenery displayed in front of us and fantastic days at sea...we watched dolphins leap across the bow there one day..it was amazing. We even chose to have several dinners here at night when we wanted a quiet meal for two. Each table had their own individual lamp which gave off a lovely atmosphere.. very cozy and romantic feel. Being not as large a ship as some, made The Legend :) ;) Feel very Personal and very comfortable. We were Not part of a Mass Holiday Resort...But Part Of A Real Cruise with All the Romance and Charm of Days Gone By.. but with the Convenience of Todays' Modern Ammenities. We Loved Our Cruise.. Hope you will as well... whatever ship you choose. Wishing you every happiness in your future married life. Carol

I liked what you had to say about the roominess of the ship and the beauty. I just find the food really going down hill on RCCI and since that is such a big part of cruising I wonder how the Legend stacks up?

Hi JWP1405...I presume from what you have said, that you have been on other RCI ships, so may find things different to us. However, on the basis of our experience, my husband and I both found the food to be very good. In the main dining room there was a reasonable choice of menu..nice presentation (in fact some very special) and nothing that wasn't edible or tasty.My husband had lobster twice..lots of beef.. The only complaint in 14 days.. if you could call it that.. was a steak very rare instead of medium...and the apologies went on and on from our waitress. We did have our dinners in 3 courses. I am of the understanding that it was 4 or 5 in the US. I am not sure if it will return to that.Probably you will have bigger portions if not more courses. I think because we normally don't have very large portions of food in the Uk in our restaurants.. ..that perhaps they felt they could cut back on the amounts. This prevented a lot of wastage for which I am glad. However,the premise I am sure, was that you could ask for what you wanted and for as much as you wanted.The number it was grouped into made no difference.. No restriction was ever given on the amount out of each group. eg. In restaurants with a set menu of courses...you normally pick one from the list of appetizers..then follows one from the entree list etc. Three courses were listed..the first including soups. salads and other appetizers like shrimp cocktail,etc. but you could easily have chosen a soup and a salad.etc. It was more a group listing than a set course.There were no words specifying any limitation on choice. The Windjammer had a large selection of fresh fruit that we enjoyed..several choices of main dish and a carvery of roast meat..as well as cold meats, cheeses and salads..lots of dessert choices. We didn't have any complaints..quite the opposite.. we were very happy and overly full with the food and just couldn't fit in anything from the late night buffets on deck or the chocolate buffet in the dining room.There were also substantial afternoon teas..serving cakes, scones, cookies..and a hot dish..chili one day, baked potato and salad bar, sandwiches,etc. One of the best meals I enjoyed was a bar b que on the pool deck while sailing from Gibralter..steak..baked potato and corn on the cob..it was delicious and the view of Gibralter as we sailed was amazing. I appreciate that the bigger ships have more dining options..but for us it was the cruise that was more important and the ports of call. This proved wonderful as it definitely was a cruise ship in the real sense..you were always aware that you were at sea. We also had hopes of pleasant dining and acceptable food..but in fact found it to be wonderful dining.. in either the Romeo and Juliet or the Windjammer.. and exceptionally good Food. Hope this helps, Carol

Carol, Settingsail and others :)

Found this dress online, it is pretty much everything I had in mind. I like the shorter dresses. I'm only 5ft tall, long dresses either make me look shorter or require way too much alteration. We're going for informal. What do you think?

http://www.bridesave.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&product_id=11927

Oh Jamie , I love it !!!!!!!!!!:)

I think it is perfect for a Caribbean cruise too !

Well once again DD McKenna has picked almost all the winning temas for footabll this week . Last week she went 10 and 6 LOL , thats better then DH and I .

Jamie I am thinking of changing my Bermuda cruise to October 1st so we can enjoy the beaches and swimming . When did you go on your cruise there ?

I am so tired today , we were so busy at work today . I work as a merchandiser for the Gap but when it gets busy they put me on the floor , wow I am glad to be working there a few days a week . Hey it pays for the cruises . DH is an Enviromental Engeenier but he is a bit tight with the "ole wallet " :o so in order for me to cruise 3 times a year I have to work .Plus I get awesome discounts on their clothes !

Well back to the football games I go

Thanks for the positive feedback on the dress. It was the first one I looked at that made me go 'ohhh'. Plus the designer has stores in Vancouver and in Tampa! :) I just have to find a bridesmaid dress for my sister. I am a little annoyed about what is out there in bridal fashion right now, EVERYTHING is strapless. Not everyone is a flat-chested-supermodel. I don't want to be hiking my dress up during my first dance!!

We'll there was my first wedding rant! he he.

We are deciding on the men, it is just going to be my HTB and my sisters boyfriend. I am thinking black suits with ties that match their ladies, but tux's are not out of the question.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

This is nice BC weather, I hope it lasts a while. I should get some laundry done, I have our patio set up with a portable drying rack and a clothes line so I can save $2 on the nice days.

Marjorie - Your Roll Call board looks so sad :( I hope you get some posters soon. My Mom and I seem to have a habit of picking cruises with only a couple of CC'ers. We only once had enough to get a CC Party. My cruise week doesn't have a thread yet. Waiting to offically book. Speaking of which I should email my TA, she hasn't gotten back to me!

Jamey -

I absolutely love the dress - it's so beautiful. My DH and I will be celebrating our anniversary this coming February - 10 years. It was my second marriage (we were both 23 then) and I wanted something more informal as well. My DH did wear a tux and had a Taz vest, as that is his favorite cartoon character. My dress was a simple off the shoulder white dress with a staggered hem line (short in front, longer in back). I'm also a bit height challenged at 5' 2 and fairly endowed upfront, thanks to family genetics...hoping my daughter won't have it so bad (so far so good there), so I know what you mean about finding dresses:)

My best friend who is a size nothing and has very little up top, loves the strapless dresses and when we look always points them out to me. By now, I give her a look and she knows that I'm thinking she is crazy. I wore a dress with barely there shoulder straps for her wedding and when I went to try the dress on the lady put me in a padded strapless bra. Needless to say, my best friend realized at that point that actually going strapless wasn't for me:p I wasn't sure she was going to let me be in the wedding because she was afraid that her DH would run off with me and the "puppies" as they were nicknamed;) I would hate to have been a woman in the old days with corsets and cleavage so prominant.

Anyway...enough about that subject. Everyone enjoy your day. I have to get back to work...but would rather be cruisin:D

Jamie, I think the dress is really lovely and very elegant...very much Audrey Hepburn breakfast at Tiffanys'...You will be a knockout!!!! Absolutely perfect.My twin daughters are also very petite and just 5 ft tall. They are always complaining that everyone else is taller..so now I can add someone else to the list that isn't. Look how famous" Kylie " is and how glamourous... she is very small. As they say, "Good things come in small packages". Sadly, my packaging expanded long ago.....would be glad to swap anyday. Sll the Best, carol

Glad you like the dress too! I thought the same thing about it being very Breakfast at Tiffany's. I actually have a black dress in a very similar cut that I love. It's so flattering it doesn't make my chest look huge or make me look like a munchkin. I found this dress for my sister, I emailed it to her to get her thoughts.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/collections.productDetail/categoryID/772f03c9-de43-4942-bfa0-da77e21ebd65/productID/6639f233-6a04-43d2-b105-c4b7e4f544ec

Since she's my only bridesmaid she gets the luxury of picking any color she wants, except white of course!

I talked to my TA today, I don't know what happened to our 'usually girl'. So I emailed our 'semi-regular guy.' He was able to quote me about $30 less a person then what the company website was.

Glad you like the dress too! I thought the same thing about it being very Breakfast at Tiffany's. I actually have a black dress in a very similar cut that I love. It's so flattering it doesn't make my chest look huge or make me look like a munchkin. I found this dress for my sister, I emailed it to her to get her thoughts.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/collections.productDetail/categoryID/772f03c9-de43-4942-bfa0-da77e21ebd65/productID/6639f233-6a04-43d2-b105-c4b7e4f544ec

Since she's my only bridesmaid she gets the luxury of picking any color she wants, except white of course!

I talked to my TA today, I don't know what happened to our 'usually girl'. So I emailed our 'semi-regular guy.' He was able to quote me about $30 less a person then what the company website was.

Hello Jamie, Setting Sail and everyone, Haven't chatted for a bit hope everyone is well. Jamie, The bridesmaid dress for your sister is gorgeous..you will both be absolutely beautiful and the wedding will be a fantastic success. Let me know all about it and especially about how you like the Legend. You have my Email address girls....in a previous message above. So if this thread ends, you can still have a chat with me over here across the pond. I have been helping my son and daughter in law move house. They have been very lucky to get a nice size little family home.... ideal for starting out....from relatives on a rent to buy plan. House prices here are enormous, and it is very difficult to make the first move and get a start.Regards to everyone, Carol

Hello to all - woke up and thought even though it's going to rain today that it was going to be a good day...but just got a call from my DH (fulltime military, currently homestation) and they received some bad news...so guess I'll have to see how the day goes.

Jamey -

That bridesmaid dress is fantastic. Except for the length, it is the exact same dress that I wore for my best friends wedding, but in black. I still have the dress and want to have it shortened to the same length as the one your looking at, this way it could be worn later on for an event. Very lovely:-)

Good health to all and may today be a good one:)

Jen

My daughter was married on Majesty of the Seas and it was wonderful. Stay away from stormy times of the year and you will be fine. I think she would have preferred the Voyager class ship because of the size and wedding chapel, but Majesty worked out best for everyone's schedule and pocketbook.

We sailed Legend of the Seas in March and were very disappointed. The food was horrible--way too salty and overcooked. Our waiter was the worst ever--kept forgetting us. There were nice things we enjoyed on LOS--like the solarium and entertainment. The ship had pots near the elevators for leaking water on our floor. Hopefully that was corrected in drydock.

Our family sailed the NCL Dawn last December and we loved it so much that we've already booked another NCL ship. I would suggest you checkout other cruiselines in your area before booking Legend--especially ships with wedding chapels onboard. We are sailing Jewel of the Seas next week and will be curious to see if they have a wedding chapel onboard.

Mary

Plymouth, MA

It has been just pouring down rain for the last 24 hours!! I'll give it another 24 before I start building the ark. Glad to hear from Carol and Jen, I've been doing work around the house. Yesterday we had a plumber come to our apartment, apparently our toilet was causing somewhat of a waterfall in the apartment below us. We had no clue, nothing seemed wrong. Needless to say our bathroom got ripped apart. Thank goodness we are renting, so we did not have to pay for the repairs. Just had to deal with a very messy bathroom when he was done.

Sorry to say, I am looking into more cruise options again. My Mom really doesn't seem to want to go to the Western Caribbean again, honestly I can't blame her we've been there twice. She's suggested I look into Port Canaveral for Eastern Caribbean. So I'll let you know when I finally decide.

Carol - I'll be sure to email no matter what cruise I pick, I'll have to send out some pictures. I am glad you son was able to get into the real estate market, i've seen how tough it is there. It's a big deal too, I'm sure he's happy to have his mom helping him out :)

Jen - I hope everything is ok with the phone call. Where does your hubby report too? Somewhere in the Valley?

I think my sister should be ok in that dress as far as length, she's tall. We're the opposite children.

Hi Jami

Oh wait to change your mind on the ship I heard they did wonders on the refurbishment . This will be my 7th cruise and I will send lots and lots of pictures. I will give you an honest opinion on how it would be for a wedding . I can understand your Mom thou not wanting to do another Western , I have never done Western so it should be fun for us at least . I have done 3 Southern which is the most beauitufl of all and the the rest Eastern .

Jen , I also wish all is well , please let us know if there is anything we can do :)

Hi Carol . It has been awhile since I have posted it seems . we have been so busy . I can't believe we are almost 8 weeks from the cruise . I am so excited and so ready . since i am a merchandiser for Gap I have 2 aweful shifts this coming week , Sunday 6pm - 4am and tuesday 9pm-6am so you may not hear from me much next week LOL .I'm glad I am only there 2 days a week thats all I could take :eek: . Good luck on your daughter-in-laws move I know what moving is like !

Well talk to you all later , Have a wonderful day !

Maria

Thanks to all for the wishes. Although the news was bad, none affecting his guys at this time. Another local unit.

Jamey - my husband is actually assigned to the West Pittston unit, but headquarters are in Scranton. His unit was deployed to Iraq last year and all made it back safely this past March. He did not have to go at that time because he was just back from 6 months of training and he's full time, so they needed someone to man the armory and work with the families.

Also, we did the eastern carib. stops this past January. I wasn't crazy about San Juan or Nassau, but loved St. Thomas and St. Martin. I know a few couples on our ship got married at St. Thomas and one got married on the ship, which was the Explorer (Voyager class). It's a beautiful ship with lots to do for everyone. I think I'll always have a fondnest for this ship because it was our first. It leaves out of Miami and was a nice port to leave from.

Attached is a link to my online photo album of our cruise. It's not 100% complete, but pretty close. There are pictures of me and my husband, his name is Chic. This way you'll know which one I am.

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=29746530/t_=13954285

Hope this helps. Chat with ya'll later.

Jen

Hi,

We did the Panama Canal Cruise on the legend in Jan/Feb. of 04. It was an awesome experience, 14 days with terrific itinerary. I enjoyed the ship very much. It was a bit chilly the first few days leaving out of San Diego so the Adults solarium pool had the roof closed which was a nice plus that some ships don't have. When the got further south they opened it. My husband favors the Voyager class ships because he loves the Promenade and larger size with more to do. For me the destination is the thing and yet I had no complaints at all about the Legend. Enjoy your cruise, I am sure it will be memorable.................

Just checking in on the thread, as I have not had a chance to read it for a few days.

CCHart-Thanks for the BD wishes;) .

Still can't wait to get on the Legand in December. For anyone looking for hotels in Tampa, be sure to check out the thread under hotels pre/post cruising. Lots of info there and Cracker Ken will answer any questions. We decided on Chase Suites with the ship to shore package. For $139. for a one bedroom suite it includes transportation from the airport to the hotel. Shuttle service around the hotel, then they take you to the port in the morning. Breakfast is included also:p . And when you arrive back to the port from the cruise they will pick you up and take you back to the airport. I think it is a good deal and sounds like the hotel is okay.

I am also looking for any info or pictures of the AFT cabins on deck 8. We will be in JS#8574.

Thanks again to everyone for all their great info and intresting stories:) .

Jamie, Don't worry about what ship you go on...They are all beautiful and you will have a wonderful time and look gorgeous. Whether you decide to marry before you sail.. or onboard..The Important Thing is " YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED TO THE MAN YOU LOVE" Don't lose sight of that in all the confusion!! As a matter of interest, It is pouring rain and very stormy here in england as well ..and is predicted to last all weekend.

A bit of a mystery to share with everyone. A childhood neighbor of mine from sunny Florida is going to be visiting our home tomorrow. It was ironic how this came about. My Brother In Law was tragically killed in a horrendous 6 car pile up in June in florida. He caused the accident.. reason unknown...possibly a heart attack but unable to confirm as he was crushed. Thankfully no one else was killed. He was due to attend a special high school reunion for the first graduating class of his school in July..Class of 61. My sister, his wife, graduated in 1962 and has already past away from cancer many, many years ago at a very young age. My BIL never recovered from this tragedy.The highschool had a website and a memory page showing my sisters photo. I came across this site by accident while I was trying to find the local Florida newspaper and it's coverage on the net of my BIL's accident..as I'd received no details..just a message.There was a photo of the crash in the paper and There was also an article about the reunion and a website. I clicked on to it and Suddenly this photo of my sister appeared staring out of the memory page. Very strange feeling.My sister in one photo..my BIL in a crashed car in another. I wrote in the high school guest book telling them about my BIL's accident and my sister (many didn't know they were a couple) as they live all over the country now. I had a reply from several people that were attending and this fella.. now in Tenn... who had lived by me in the late 50's and 60s with his mom and sister. (his dad had died) I was 6 when we moved in. As the conversations progressed about our old lives and memories..it turns out he lost his sister around the same time as I lost mine. He travels in his work..including Europe..and has been amazingly thru Derby enroute back to the US on his European business trips. At present he is in Italy, having just left Spain.. and is returning to London tomorrow but is taking a train to Derby for the afternoon for a couple hours to visit with us before returning to London for his flight home. I have been working like mad trying to tidy up all the junk in the house to make it look presentable..but forgot all about what I look like! Anything but presentable at the moment. He and my husband seem to have a lot in common as they both like History and discussing Wars etc (my husband nearly 25 years Navy) and Solar energy? Two very serious types. I like Peace and Happiness Myself...Wish there were More of It About!! and A Few More Cruises Can Never Hurt!..... Have A Good Day Everyone!!...Carol

I will be on the LOTS in November and was wondering if there was anyplace outdoors on any of the decks where I could sit and read. Not interested in the pools all that much but would just love to sit and look at the sea and read a book.

If anyone could answer this query, I would be very thankful for the info. Thanks for all the comments. They've really made me look forward to this trip.

Cruisequeen, Hope you have a wonderful cruise.. there are lots of hideaways onboard. One of the best places to read would be the solarium..where there are lots of different type of very comfortable padded seating all along the windowed areas away from the pool and this seating carries on all the way to the door. Outside the door is more glass fronted seating...( but open overhead ).. where people were all reading and it it quite peaceful. This area leads past the pool eventually and towards the Windjammer..where in the corners on deck outside the Windjammer.. are also many seating areas that aren't overcrowded. The noisy areas and most crowded are those right on top of the pool and on the very top deck where everyone crams to get cooked by the sun. We also found a nice spot on a couple of occasions just outside the dining room on deck 4...it was lovely there. There is also an area outside the solarium... exiting at the rear thru the Spa..out those doors there is a little posh deck area aft with padded deck chairs. Just have a wander around and you will find loadsof places. Have a look at http://www.cruiseclues.com/shipstips/legendoftheseas.htm and you will find loads of photo albums with pictures of the Legend...Bart de Boer has about 100 and although 4 years old many relect the atmosphere well and there are photos of the solarium and the glass fronted areas I mentioned. There are also newer photos in other albums on this site and lots of info on the ship. Hope this helps and have a great cruise. Carol

Archived