Legend of the Seas?!?

jamiski

I just got engaged and am looking for a good cruise to have a wedding winter 2006. I've been looking at the Legend of the Sea's because most of the wedding party can drive to the port. I've read many mixed reviews on the ship and on the RCI's wedding packages. Are the people writing these reviews simply spoiled by the mega-liners or is RCI letting the 'smaller' ships slip?

First of all, I have to admit that the Legend of the Seas is my alltime favorit ship (I have already sailed all ship classes of RCI). I sailed her in 1999 and in 2004 - and saw her in Cadiz in May 2005, right after her recent dry dock.

Her crew is excellent - very friendly, helpful und professional. The Legend is very clean and I have never seen a dirty carpet or couch or anything. She happens to be the fastest ship in the RCI fleet (sharing this honour with Splendour of the Seas) and therefore is able to offer long days in interesting ports.

Also, the balcony cabins are larger than on the newer ships and more conveniently furnished (with the couch and table close to the balcony window, you can comfortably watch the sea).

Enjoy your upcoming cruises!

Ruth

My husband and I have recently returned from a wonderful 14 ;) day Meditterrannean cruise on the Legend out of Southampton England. I am an American originally from Miami, florida but now live in England. I can assure you that the ship is absolutely beautiful and spotlessly clean. The natural light and all of the glass, offer such wonderful views of the sea no matter where you are onboard. The 7 story centrum with glass elevators and marble staircase is very stylish and elegant. The service was excellent..the crew couldn't do enough for you and were very friendly. We enjoyed the food and were very happy with the variety on offer both in the formal dining room and the Windjammer. The Romeo and Juliet dining room is on two levels, with a wonderful winding staircase and is so lovely. Lights and Mirrors reflect the level above..and with the walls of glass looking out to the sea, there were amazing sunsets during dinner. We ate most of our meals..all breakfasts and all of our lunches..in the Windjammer. We loved the panoramic views across the bow from all the wrap around windows. It was wonderful at breakfast to have a different port each day for a backdrop.. Beautiful scenery displayed in front of us and fantastic days at sea...we watched dolphins leap across the bow there one day..it was amazing. We even chose to have several dinners here at night when we wanted a quiet meal for two. Each table had their own individual lamp which gave off a lovely atmosphere.. very cozy and romantic feel. Being not as large a ship as some, made The Legend :) ;) Feel very Personal and very comfortable. We were Not part of a Mass Holiday Resort...But Part Of A Real Cruise with All the Romance and Charm of Days Gone By.. but with the Convenience of Todays' Modern Ammenities. We Loved Our Cruise.. Hope you will as well... whatever ship you choose. Wishing you every happiness in your future married life. Carol

It is great to hear about the Legend from you Carol. I am sailing on her on 12-10-2005 for my dd's college graduation and my dh's and mine 19th anniversary. We are in the RFS as my dd's fiance is going along also. I just can't wait. The ship sounds wonderful. Thanks for your input. What else can you tell us about the Legend?

Thanks a lot Carol, that was a great review!

I was wondering if you have any trouble with your stateroom not being ready when you boarded? When we did our little land tour of the Vision of the Sea's today we notice a lot of people in the Windjammer with their carry on bags.

If you don't mind my asking which type of stateroom did you have? Which would you recommend? I don't think we'll be able to afford a balcony since we are paying for most of our guest.

Thanks again.

First of all, I have to admit that the Legend of the Seas is my alltime favorit ship (I have already sailed all ship classes of RCI). I sailed her in 1999 and in 2004 - and saw her in Cadiz in May 2005, right after her recent dry dock.

Enjoy your upcoming cruises!

Ruth

Ruth,

You must have been on the Splendor of the Seas in Cadiz. Here is a picture of her in Cadiz, docked 90 degrees from the Legend of the Seas. We were headed for the Canary Islands.

So far, and have not been on every ship in the RCCL fleet, the Legend is by far our favorite ship. Small and elegant, she is kept in excellent condition. Her crew is always happy. Charles Brunner, her production manager, is a world class pianist. He should be back aboard in December.

We may head to Tampa this winter just to be back aboard. I can not give enough praises of the Legend and her staff!!

Rick

786180191_CopyofDSC06456.JPG.de5b7b6e130eeb267fdf5e6cf22685e2.JPG

I would never have a wedding on a cruise ship or any destination wedding for that matter. Too many factors can change your plans and just upset everybody. Bad weather, mechanical problems, you name it. If I were you I would just have the wedding on land and then honeymoon on the ship. We certainly don't want to hear you crying like the couple that never made it to Bermuda on the VOS due to weather. Missed her Bermuda wedding.

I would never have a wedding on a cruise ship or any destination wedding for that matter. Too many factors can change your plans and just upset everybody. Bad weather, mechanical problems, you name it. If I were you I would just have the wedding on land and then honeymoon on the ship. We certainly don't want to hear you crying like the couple that never made it to Bermuda on the VOS due to weather. Missed her Bermuda wedding.

We are willing to take that chance since we met on a cruise ship and it has special meaning to us. Plus, we are planning on a Winter wedding. Well out of the range of Hurricane Season. But thanks for the concern ;)

Thanks a lot Carol, that was a great review!

I was wondering if you have any trouble with your stateroom not being ready when you boarded? When we did our little land tour of the Vision of the Sea's today we notice a lot of people in the Windjammer with their carry on bags.

If you don't mind my asking which type of stateroom did you have? Which would you recommend? I don't think we'll be able to afford a balcony since we are paying for most of our guest.

Thanks again.

Hi Jamiski.. Happy to answer any questions about LOtS based on our experience.

We live quite a long journey from southampton and therefore drove down the night before and stayed in a Holiday Inn. This enabled us to arrive at the port early and relax while waiting to board (we had loads of baggage..I never pack light) we were given a 1pm boarding time. Arrival at the port was very early,1030 am, but we were greeted immediately by a RCI customer service rep and porters who made my bags disappear very quickly. They even got 2 extra tags (we already had 4) and took my large carry ons as well. We then had only the video and a small personal bag to look after. We quickly went thru the passport check and seapass and were asked to sit down till our color code (label on the seapass) was called. We expected an hour or so wait, but were only seated minutes when our color was called and we then proceeded thru the security checks. By 11.15 we were onboard and looking around the ship and having our first lunch at the Windjammer. We were unable to access our cabins until 1pm.. but it was on the dot..no delays. So it depends if you arrive too early or not.. and how much you have with you to look after if you do. I was so pleased that we had all this extra time..it gave us a full first day.

We booked an outside stateroom on a guarantee basis. This was the best our finances allowed. The Y Guarantee.. Meaning the lowest priced cabin available with a window that would be assigned in a pot luck fashion....could be anywhere on the ship. We booked late and had to pay in full right then (12 weeks before). We were therefore surprised that our cabin was also assigned almost immediately and was on deck 3 (lowest prices could easily be deck 2) Cabin 3024..a large oceanview..154 sq ft..and was absolutely lovely. It had been freshly decorated and despite the large double bed, there was plenty of room to walk around it. Lots of mirrors making it appear even more spacious..pictures over the bed on one side and a large mirror the other with a MASSIVE Window in the middle. I cannot express enough the Wonderful views that were framed in that window during our cruise and the Sheer joy of watching the sea go by. Our location was fairly forward..some suggest against this position..but despite force 7 gails at one point in our journey..the movement was quite subdued.. far, far, less movement than on the higher decks. We loved this cabin and the position ( near the elevators either direction..straight up to the windjammer one route..opposite direction...straight up to centrum ) We have rebooked 3 cabins for 2006.. 3038,3032,3034 ..to include my grown children.. these include connectiong rooms and are slightly more midship (4 cabins away) same deck and again port side. A sofa and table with picture and lights overhead fitted in the recess along the corridor as you walk in the cabin towards the bed. The bathroom located just by the cabin door as you enter, with plenty of storage... under sink shelf, small glass shelf on the wall and mirrored cabinet over the sink. Outside and opposite..the wardrobe with wire shelves inside..I used my own thin hangers and ones that have clips and hold 4 or 5 items to maximise this space and we fitted loads. A lovely mirrored dressing table, lots of drawers and the safe and TV complete the room. The cabin was kept immaculate..loads of cuddly towel animals and the friendliest crew and staff. Just a wonderful experience. A balcony would be wonderful..but a lotta, lotta, extra money... we Certainly couldn't afford it. We truly enjoyed every minute in our low priced window cabin..it was a pleasure to spend time there..not just for changing and sleeping.. very, very ,roomy and a true Home from Home! Good Luck, Carol

Thanks so much for that detailed information. I've always arrived early to the ship for the same reason, I love to have that full first day. I can't imagine booking at vacation and dashing on board at the last call 4 or more hours after the first people boarded!! At least, from what you said even if you cabin isn't ready they are really on the ball about getting you into it. That's good.

I am glad you were on the 3rd floor and enjoyed it, that is the floor we are looking at if we book this ship. I've been looking at the 3rd floor since the N (inside) and H (outside) are catagories in our budget and on the same floor.

Thanks again :)

I am also glad to hear these great things! We are on the 12/10 sailing

to celebrate my 40th Bday on 12/11 :)

DH told me yesterday that we will be living in an Owner's Suite for that

week instead of the JS I thought we would be in! Cannot wait!!!!

Thanks so much for that detailed information. I've always arrived early to the ship for the same reason, I love to have that full first day. I can't imagine booking at vacation and dashing on board at the last call 4 or more hours after the first people boarded!! At least, from what you said even if you cabin isn't ready they are really on the ball about getting you into it. That's good.

I am glad you were on the 3rd floor and enjoyed it, that is the floor we are looking at if we book this ship. I've been looking at the 3rd floor since the N (inside) and H (outside) are catagories in our budget and on the same floor.

Thanks again :)

Glad to be of help, H category is what we had this year..cabin (3024) and what we have booked for next year (3038) as well. I am trying to find out what difference there will be in my daughters' cabins, as they have connecting doors between the two. I have heard on some ships that there is no sofa..the door is in its' place. I have started another thread on this board regarding cabins 3032 and 3034 to see if anyone knows anything about them. Hope someone will reply. All the best..Carol Ps I think it is wonderful getting married on a ship...couldn't think of anywhere more Special or romantic!! Wish I could have done the same.

I am also glad to hear these great things! We are on the 12/10 sailing

to celebrate my 40th Bday on 12/11 :)

DH told me yesterday that we will be living in an Owner's Suite for that

week instead of the JS I thought we would be in! Cannot wait!!!!

Wow, how wonderful to have the Owners' suite and What a Fantastic Birthday present. I hope you have a fantastic cruise. Our cruise was to celebrate my husbands 61st birthday...( his very first cruise) and his first trip thru Europe (despite 24 years in the navy and living on the doorstep to europe) . It was also my return to cruising after many, many years. I had last been to the med and on a ship when I was 27...I am now 55..it was definitely a new lease of life..truly a wonderful, wonderful experience. Happy Cruising,Carol

It is great to hear about the Legend from you Carol. I am sailing on her on 12-10-2005 for my dd's college graduation and my dh's and mine 19th anniversary. We are in the RFS as my dd's fiance is going along also. I just can't wait. The ship sounds wonderful. Thanks for your input. What else can you tell us about the Legend?

Wow again, I have just looked at pictures of your suite..in fact a virtual tour..it is amazing. I am sure that you and your family will have a wonderful time. How Great to celebrate these special ocassions together in such a special way. Where else can you live such a life of luxury? There is a website you may or may not know about that has all sorts of information on the ship. some of it is a couple years old but still helpful..others up to date.. and some amazing photos. One set in particuliar shows a lot of the ship and brings a lot of the Legend style to life and gives a good feel for what she is like. However, she has been refurbished since these photos were taken and is actually much lovlier and more stylish in some areas than shown. You can also click to staterooms and see photos and tours of different types and deckplans etc. Also can track the ship as to where she is at present and read various reviews on many different sites that are listed. Hope this is helpful..Let me know if you locate it alright....http://WWW.CRUISECLUES.COM/SHIPSTIPS/legendoftheseas.htm.

you can then scroll down the menu to PHOTO albums BART DE BOER is the first and the one I mentioned. He has 92 photos that are excellent and also further along does a review under ships parade with photos as well. This is a few years old as I say..but there are others more current...but his photos are very good. On the side menu are many other ships listed..just click on a name and a webpage will appear for that ship as well. All the Best, Carol

That is a great website Carol, its fun to see where all the ships are too :)

I always wanted a cruise wedding, ever since I took my first cruise. The only thing I am not looking forward to is the muster drill in my wedding gown :(

Hi Jamiski

First I must tell you that we were married in June of 2000 in Juneu on Mendenhall Glacier . We brought along some of our family memebers and it was the most magical and romantic thing we have ever done . The limo greeted us in Juneu, from there we were wisked away to the heliport ,it was a lovely 20 minute ride up to Mendenhall Glacier . The ice was a beautiful deep tourquiose . We did the 7 day cruise on the Westerndam .( not a recommended ship )

We are leaving for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise of the Legend of the Seas on November 26th . We booked ourselves in a Junior Suite , it was actually unbelievabally cheap !!! We booked early thou and that may be the reason why we got such a great deal . we are bringing my 4 year old twin girls along for their first cruise . Oh they are spoiled they are taking a 4 day Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge stay and a 7 day Eastern cruise in April 2006 with us .I have heard alot of mixed reviews about the ship but I feel it is truely what you make it . We have had a wonderful time on all our sailing no matter what the ship or personal was like .

Congratulations and good Luck with your wedding plans :O)

Your wedding must have been absolutely beautiful!! We thought about an Alaska wedding since we live in Vancouver, but decided on a Caribbean most of the family (that ones that will cruise) live in Tampa. We figured it is easier to go to them then it is bringing all of them here! Thank you for the encouragement people on these threads try to talk you out of cruise wedding b/c of 'too many variables' for thing to go wrong. Besided mechanical problems, weather can effect land based weddings too!

I know what you mean about making the best out of any cruise, I've been on some that everyone is in bed by 9, but a handful of people come out of the wood-work as well as staff make it good time. That is how I actually met my hubby-to-be. He was spa staff :)

Hello to both of you. Your wedding in Alaska must have been breathtaking..I am so sure Jamiski will have one equally beautiful. The Legend was a very young, lively ship while we were onboard..At 55 and 60 we were amongst the oldest. My husband is a high school teacher and I feel quite young for my age..so we definitely were not off to our cabins before 1.30am ..taking a stroll along the decks and a visit to the disco first. ( to watch mind you..my husband is not a big dancer) We also have twins, daughters who will be 21 in feb. and whom will be going along with us next year with their boyfriends. Being on the other ships, you will make comparisons.I can only judge by our cruise..and it was First Class All the Way!! Don't know if there are any changes between Uk sailings and USA sailings..I would think it would be even better in the USA as Americans on vacation tend to demand more..expect a very high standard..and tip better.. or should say more willingly..than the UK passengers. So the incentive is stronger.

I think you are right Carol, the tipping of Americans may improve the service a bit. My hubby-to-be when he was working on ship said that people on the Canada-Alaska run always complained about not making any money.

Myself an East-Coast American living in Canada for a year now I've noticed that Canadians do not tip as freely. I don't know if it is the same in the UK, but here in Canada people who are in tip-based professions wages are higher than those that are in US. Two years ago I was a waitress making $2.73 and hour + tips. Here if I waitressed I would make close to $10 an hour + tips.

I am sure it is not a major factor of Cruise service, but just something interesting to think about.

When I was single and living and working in Florida, I was always aware of the importance of tips to the waitresses and how even though I was working at times on minimum wage or barely above it in food related work..the waitresses that worked alongside me were making even less and had to really run their legs off to try and get those tips to bring their wages just up to the minimum. That is not the case in the Uk..everyone is on a wage and tipping is generally 10% or less and mainly given at proper more formal restaurants. For family meals out.. or young couples.. We have mostly pub type restaurants. They are a Bar of sorts in that they serve alcohol..but are geared a lot towards families in the day with play areas and nicely decorated in very modern young styles and couples in the evening. Often with outside seating as well for the summer. Most times when you go out for a meal it will be this sort of venue and although the food will be served by a waiter or waitress, the customer will order the food at a counter and give his table number. Generally tips are not expected at these sorts of restaurants, we usually give a token for good service. Nor if ordering drinks are tips expected..it is understood to be included in the price. Hotels,specialty restaurants, private clubs would be the expected tipping area. I guess it's the 24 years I have lived in England... and the fact that I have never had a surplus of money... but I find it alarming to read on a lot of these message boards topics on tipping and how you must give a $20 note up front and then another $20...plus your regular tips.. to be guaranteed service on your cruise. Tme and time again there are comments on additional tipping, on top of normal tipping..it just goes on and on. We do find it hard to understand WHY? America the greatest country doesn't pay a fair wage? The same for the ships..you are encouraged to basically pay the salaries of the crew..especially when they expect children and BABIES? to also give tips,as was recommended onboard the Legend..tips apply to everyone.

Archived