Legend of the Seas?!?

jamiski

Hello cruisers! I read that there is now a B&J ice cream and a coffee shop - I am sure they are for not included in cruise fee. But is there still ice cream up by the pool? I thought I read somewhere on a board that there is a charge for the mini golf? What about rock climbing? I know that the kids will want to try everything, so trying to budget. (Although on Carnival Paradise, it was DH who downed 2 HaagenDaz shakes a day!! And he is so dang thin...) We are sailing 1/14/06 - anyone else? The roll call board is quiet...

Hello cruisers! I read that there is now a B&J ice cream and a coffee shop - I am sure they are for not included in cruise fee. But is there still ice cream up by the pool? I thought I read somewhere on a board that there is a charge for the mini golf? What about rock climbing? I know that the kids will want to try everything, so trying to budget. (Although on Carnival Paradise, it was DH who downed 2 HaagenDaz shakes a day!! And he is so dang thin...) We are sailing 1/14/06 - anyone else? The roll call board is quiet...

Hi Ann...Carol here... I am glad that you found this site. I saw your notice last night on Legend Western Caribbean and recommended this site to you. quckly glancing over the previous pages...there are some people going to the western Caribbean in late November, Dec, and January...You should be able to get some info from some of them..and also reviews as they return. Be sure to have a look thru. also there are comments and reviews from people about the ship that have already sailed with her...including myself. Regarding ice cream and coffee... I can answer your question on Ben and Jerry's and Latte-tudes coffee bar..Both of these are new..added after the drydock this past April. The ONLY thing I didn't like on the Legend, was the coffee in the dining room or deck..very strong for me..so . Twice my husband and I had coffees at Lattes which were lovely..the setting is very nice..comfortable sofas and easy chairs with windows giving a lovely view of the sea. Located on deck 6 across from the photographers. Ben and Jerry's is part of this same area. the coffees and Lattes' were extra, but normally included an offer of cake or some special deal. For our Med cruise out of England..we were charged in pounds sterling..so I am not sure what your prices will be. In our case, the coffee (mocha Latte) was about £1.85 which is cheaper than in our town which costs over £2.00. There were NO charges for the rock climbing wall or the mini golf on our cruise. Ben and Jerry's I did not notice prices or choices...but would be extra. There was also a promo voucher given upon boarding the ship to use there for coffee,cake or ice cream. Outside the centrum, welcome onboard drinks and homemade cookies were given out along with this voucher. I don't know if that will be the case in the US ,or if that was simply because the facilities were new. On deck 9...outside the Windjammer... where the drinks dispenser and coffee are located....they had soft ice cream thru out the afternoon. Free of Charge. There are also a choice of free juices on tap 24 hrs..they vary.. during our cruise we had fresh lemonade, cranberry, fruit punch, orange, and iced tea. Hope this is of some help. If you look on the following websit, there are 3 or 4 pages simply about The Legend Of The Seas...scroll down thru various categories..some current,some a few years old. Reviews, message boards (although this one is acutally the best and Ship happens is a Uk version where people will answer your questions) Under PHOTO ALBUMS..see the first one in particuliar..BART De BOER has 102 really beautiful photos and although 4 years old still relect the elegance and the style of the ship..although she has had many refurbishings since then. IMO she is much more beautiful and impressive today. There are also more current photos, virtual tours of cabins and much of the ship..I have an older computer so I can't view the ones of the ship..but have viewed the cabins..great to see. We had a wonderful.. faultless cruise..The Best time of our life..Wishing you and your family the same, Carol Check out: www.cruiseclues.com/shipstips/legendoftheseas.htm

Hello to Carol and all,

It's a very wet and miserable day her in Derby UK, thankfully I've got LOTS to look forward to in 10 months time. Seems such a long time away but also gives us time to save up. I have been doing some shifts of overtime (nursing)to finance the cruise. Hopefully,our cruise fund should start to build up soon!?

Bye, Heather.:confused:

Hi Heather....Just looking up something on the computer and saw your message. I am also sat here in rainy Derby..but then we have had 3 beautiful sunny days and it is late Sept so can't complain.What hospital are you working at? My grandaughter spent half her life at derby childrens and Glenfield heart..the nurses were wonderful..With my parents and my own health we have had a lot of medical needs and services provided from by the DRI. I have utmost respect and admiration for the job nurses do..You can be well proud of yourself. The sun has in fact just come out now. I Have been watching The evacuation of Texas before Hurricane Rita hits..It is like a bad dream, unreal. I lived in florida for 31 years and went thru some nasty hurricanes but nothing like this. All those poor victims from Katrina went to texas for safety and now are moving again and they have already lost everything. So many people trying to get out..at least it is better organized and prepared this time. I just pray Rita doesn't do the same dammage as Katrina..but it certainly looks bad. We are hopefully.. all 6 of us ...saling on Aug. 5th. Which I guess is about 10 and a half months away. Time does go by fast and it is nice to chat with others about the ship and about their experiences..except that I get sidetracked chatting instead of doing the housework like I should be. We are finding it a worry how we will get fares for 6..although the kids..2 of them.. have regular jobs and will be contributing something and 2 have odd jobs here and there. I however, am a housewife ,so my contribution is to not leave home for the next 10 months..so as not to spend any money. My husband is a teacher and he was doing overtime like you last year.. for 9 months..3 days a week.. afterschool.. supervising sport as part of an inner city project. That helped us get our first cruise. But mainly, we had to get a car loan out of necessity and decided to have a proper holiday as well. There is no funding this year for the sports program supervisor. so no overtime.. but I am glad as he has so many papers to grade and works way too hard already. We would normally not have a holiday at all...but he loved the cruise even more than I did and once he retires in 2 and a half years..we will never afford a cruise..So hope to have one family shindig before then. It will be great.. Keep in touch..Carol in Oakwood, derby PS. Check the cruiseclues website, if you already haven't... http://www.cruiseclues.com/shipstips/legendoftheseas.htm ...lots of photos and reviews.. 3 different pages all on the Legend ..plus you can also click the name of any other ship on the left hand panel and get a web page on any of them.. to compare other ships, All the Best Carol.

Hi Carol,

I used to work at the Derby City General at the psychiatric unit, but I'm now in community. I really love my job, have done it for 20 years now. I don't work fridays, time to catch up on housework, shopping? this i do not love. Just been to sainsburys at kingsway and spent too much!! Some friends of mine went on LOTS in july last year and loved it. They had already booked on P&O for next year but have cancelled and returning on Legend, on same cruise as me!! They have been on Oriana & Oceana previously and preffered RCI.

Great speaking to you. Have a great weekend Carol,

Heather in Mickleover, Derby.

PS yes i agree the pics and reviews on cruise clues are excellent. Can't wait for the chocolate buffet..

Hi Phantom

I can't really afford it either , thats the reason why I'm not a stay at home Mommy . I end up paying for most of the cruises myself as DH seemed to seal his back pocket with super glue :)

We are looking into Te Freedom of the Seas , that would be 2008 for us also as I cannot see another one after these for quite sometime .Maybe we will see you then . I just talked to some of our family members and my DH's Mom is in and possibally his sister Bethany . I know we would not go if noone else does . At least I don't think so , well maybe HEHE .

The Explorer looks amazing and huge , I can't believe the size ! When did you go ? Like I said ours is October so I am hoping it is still quite warm there .

Settingsail - my DH's paycheck pays all the rest of the bills and mine is for the "extras", like cruising:)

We are thinking that the "Freedom" cruise might be a family one as well, traveling with my in-laws, SIL and her family, plus us. We are all traveling to WDW next December, so we'll see how that goes. My in-laws are good to travel with as we traveled with them this past January on Explorer...it's my SIL. I love her dearly, but she can get on everyone's nerves sometimes. We'll see.

We traveled on the Explorer this past January and our ports were East Carib. Our first stop was San Juan and it was overcast and a bit misty, but the rest of the stops were beautiful, sunny and warm. Are you doing an east or west itinerary? I know Explorer switches from week to week.

Jamski - I'm also glued to the news websites recently watching all the hurricane activity. My heart is breaking for that gulf coast area, especially NO. We were originally scheduled to leave from there, but changed due to the uncertainty and now I'm glad that we did.

Everyone have a good day...back to work:)

Yesterday was one of 'those' days that if anything could go wrong it did. Example: Spent and hour trying to get a 'get well' card (for my uncle) lined up on this new printer paper just to lick the envelope and smudge the ink everywhere! The rest of the day was followed with one thing after another. Then at about 11pm last night I remembered I forgot to mail a 60th Wedding aniversary card to my grandparents!! Ugh. I guess Hallmark has it in for me!

Sorry I've been a drift, will get caught up on posts in a few.

Phantom: I've been watching since I got up, it looks like it weakened a hair and went farther north. I am worried about that, the Governor of LA really can't seem to get it together. If it hit more of Texas I have some faith in that governor, to be able to help his people.

I've been checking MSNBC all day and the weather channel website. I saw before where NO was getting flooded again...not a good sign for them. It sounds selfish, but I'm glad we got our plans changed and are leaving out of Tampa now.

I just hope that all those that have been stranded on the highways make it out okay and find shelter soon.

We received flooding in our area last year from Ivan, but can't even imagine to the extend that they are going through.

I've been watching CNN (by defult only 24 hour news network in Canada). It sad that NO is flooding, but at least most everyone is out of there. Seems like Galveston is being spared?

I am familiar with Ivan last year, I lived in Harrisburg then. Everything that flooded upstream near you guys came down to us a few days after.

Hi Everyone....Nearly 11 pm here...A sad day. I too have been watching the news all day on Rita..watching the mass evacuations and wondering what I would take with me to save, if it were me. The thought of losing everything I owned.. is very hard to imagine. So many of these people have just escaped Katrina and now are being moved on again and to the unknown. The worst thing today was all those ill people being evacuated on that bus that blew up..they said that their oxygen tanks fueled the fire..How horrible.They were so frail and old.what an awful way to die. They have also..on Fox News..just showed a virtual picture of how they expect one area of Galveston to be completely under water regardless of the strength of Rita's hit there. There is no protection apparently in that area and water is already overflowing. They have also said it might hit earlier than expected.. around 1 to 4 am.. between Cameron and Port arthur...and now..5 min later ..they are saying Galveston may now not get the storm surge they just talked about. The surge will possibly go more towards Louisianna, and of course N. O. is flooding already.They are now talking about Galveston nearly having a Bullseye hit? Bit confusing the constant changes during the same live report. This is all just like a bad dream..or a TV dissaster movie.. The area Katrina destroyed over the 3 states, was said to be the size of the UK. For me to imagine all of this country gone..washed away..is just too terrible to think about. Will be hoping that Rita eases off before it hits and praying for the poor souls having to live thru all of this.. All the Best, Carol in Derby, England

I just posted a lengthy reply and it didn't actually post!!!!

Let me try this again...sorry it is not as thoughtful as what I wanted to write, but I've tried 3 times to get it to work...each time my post gets smaller and smaller since I don't want to write a lot and have it disappear again!!

Carol - I love your posts and reading about you.

I wanted to know about the Solarium on the LOS, it is an adult area?

Back to CNN before I end up hurting my computer!!!

By the way I emailed my TA to get her opinion on Royal Romance, hopefully she'll get back to me soon.

have been on the Veendam twice and LOVE her!!! she's a beautiful ship...the verandah cabins are much larger than the verandah cabins on HAL's larger ships (Zuiderdam and Oosterdam...we have been on both). enjoy her! the crystal art montage in the atrium is awesome! give her our regards!

Cass

We will be sailing on the Legend to the Western Caribbean in April....This will be our first aft cabin and was wondering if anyone has a picture of 7626 which is a corner aft cabin.....Thanks in advance, and let's continue to pray for the folks in Rita's path......Jill:cool:

Huge THANKS to all of you regarding the Legend. This is our first time on RCCL (always sailed HAL) and decided on Legend since it sails out of Tampa (we're about a 40 minute ride from the port). Sailing Nov. 19 2005. She sounds a lot like the Veendam (HAL)...smaller and elegant. Was a little concerned about her "up-keep"...but it sounds like she is in fine shape. There are advantages for both the smaller/intimate ships and the mega ships...when all is said and done...it's what you make of it that matters!

It's our first time in an aft suite (8584)...and was wondering how the experience was for any of you in the aft????????????????? (we always booked the "hump" before).

We are soooooooooo ready for this cruise! Work has been a bear!

Cass

Jaimski-- the poor reviews your must have read on the Legend will most likely no longer be valid.. Last year, the Legend had the lowest rating in the fleet with regard to food and dining room service.. Since then they have sent a new "team" onboard to make the necessary changes. Since this has happened the ratings for the ship, service and food have all improved significantly. The Legend is a beautiful ship.

Jaimski-- the poor reviews your must have read on the Legend will most likely no longer be valid.. Last year, the Legend had the lowest rating in the fleet with regard to food and dining room service.. Since then they have sent a new "team" onboard to make the necessary changes. Since this has happened the ratings for the ship, service and food have all improved significantly. The Legend is a beautiful ship.

RDeagazio I agree with you entirely and have said the same a hundred times over..After the transfer to the Uk in May..there was a major shuffle from the top ranks to the bottom and all the niggles as it were ..resolved. Customer service brilliant. Food Good. But as they say MUd STICKS! Just yesterday I read a review on one of the formal review sites. I believe it is on the "LEGEND OF THE SEAS CRUISE REVIEW SITE" it is accessible off the link I gave on the legend. It totally amazes me. This man was 36, obviously felt he was quite successful, and immediately explained that he was a Celebrity previous cruiser but would try not to reflect that. Needless to say that's all he did. Yet this is supposed to be a review of this ship..not a comparison between ships. I can write about the Holiday Inn being very pleasant...However, I wouldn't recommend it ..as it is just not as good as The Hilton I stayed at last year. One.. has nothing to do with the other...Not the same Market...Entirely different products and obviously prices. He had done only one cruise .. to the caribbean.. as a romantic couple.. before kids. This time he was sailing from outside his door, literally..got the Kids onboard for FREE...paid the same money for 14 days for 4 persons.. as previously paid for 7 days for 2..with Dw.. ds. dd ...all of whom had a wonderful time..went on the ship about the same time as we did.. The kids apparently loved it..food good.A list of various Good qualities..FOR THE MONEY..which is what a review is all about.What you get offered for ..what you pay..Good and Bad. Then the problems as he sees them begin....kids making a nuisance of themselves (I am in fairness not a pool person. however..the kids in the pool annoyed him) but the outdoor pool he referred to was for kids..I was always walking around there and just saw kids having fun.Very possibly they did play up sometimes.. but he could have said something.. walk away and come back later.. or why not use the solarium pool? Adults only! Kids Blocking elevators..running wild..Never saw any of this and I was constantly roaming the ship.In fact, We hardly noticed the hundreds of kids that were supposed to be on board and made comments about that.We felt it must have been a good kids club as all the kids seemed happy and busy having fun.Second complaint.. He says the service desks were not complying with his requests..Well I feel honored then as they couldnt' be more friendly or helpful to me..Photographers..not 1.. but 2 ..spent ages fixing my cameras and video..for free.On more than one ocassion. The Pursers desk when asking about tips and other questions couldn't be nicer..All of these people spoke to me in passing on the ship..Officers friendly..especially the Captain who spoke with everyone personally and walked around the ship. cruise staff for excursions and entertainment..pleasant and sociable. and the rep from the pursers, whom I didn't recognize, even made the personal effort to approach me one nite on my way to dinner to ask if everything was sorted Ok. Am I special? I don't think so..I was in a basic deck 3 window cabin..NOT an Owners Suite.. But never the less, despite only the kids and his opinion of the desk staff, being his only complaints..and alongside a list of GOOD things..there is still a damper put on the review. Totally uncalled for.It wasn't the Celebrity and he wasn't over impressed by Legend at all. HIS Final commentS..He wouldn't pay any more for this cruise than he did and ..IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING this cruise etc.etc gives a long list of conditions to take into account first. Which more or less discourages the potential passenger.. WHY? what justifies all the Negatives with these people DESPITE Having What for all Purposes Appears To be A Positive Cruise? If you read any of my novels on any of these threads regarding the Legend..you will find me singing her praises. We were onboard July30 to Aug.13 on a 14 day Mediterrannean cruise that was perfect in every way. Except for the coffee (not Latte tudes) and the windy weather. It was also the cheapest 14 day Med cruise around and offering the best category cabin for that price. I would have had to pay a lot more money to even have had an inside cabin on ships like P&O. And Sailing to the Med out of Majorca or spain. was not even an otion on my budget.. ships like Ocean Village.. Island Escape and Thomson (all very casual ..you pay extra for a formal dining room on IE and OV) are smaller ships as well ..wanted virtually all of my money in return for only a 7 day cruise. I consider myself to have had a Brilliant Bargain...and a First Class Holiday thrown in! Next Year when we sail... might not be as perfect. But then in reality..the fact that we had winds sometimes up to Force 7..every single day at sea during the 14 days in the Med ..in summer. The Outside decks by dining room and top decks were closed 2 or 3 times..very rough sea into Rome..and pouring rain as we sailed. Could have been the downfall of Someone elses Cruise and They could be here Slagging it off. But until now these incidents had never even occurred to me as important. I was out there soaked on deck as we sailed (wasn't going to miss it) Hanging on for dear life in the winds while I videoed the rough seas (NO JOKE) But I Got some Great pictures !!( I wasn't the only one filming )..and simply enjoyed and was determined to enjoy.. every single minute onboard. It was very possible I was going to have to wait a very long time for my next cruise and I wasn't going to let a little thing like Weather... and BAD COFFEE spoil it for me. And I really DO like My Coffee!!!! Happy Sailing to Everyone..Carol in Sunny, Derby, England

Carol, you have so many wonderful things to say about your experience on the Legend, I hope you will take a few moments to fill out a CC review of the ship. I totally agree with you that the comments made by the next to last review poster were not at all as I experienced. I can't comment about children on your cruise, but the one's on ours were hardly ever in view. I don't know of a single public area of the Legend that is in any state of disrepair. Me thinks he needs to stay with Celebrity and pay the price.

Rick

:) Hi Rick, We really have got to stop meeting like this...LOl I am very flattered that you feel my endless praises for the Legend are helpful and I would be pleased to write a CC review about Dh and my experiences onboard. I did try to reply when I first returned home, however, my review did not go through. I believe it is because it needs to be pasted on or something.. rather than just typed in as I had done. So I will get one of my lovely twin daughters to show me how to do this. As a matter of interest, Before this cruise, I only knew how to look up things and do research on the computer. I was rubbish at sending Emails..or typing other written work..aways erased it by mistake. Just look at me now. My mom would be so proud I had those 2 years of typing in highschool. I am now Writing novels about my cruise. Perhaps I will have the Best Seller instead of Hubby? Could be possible..Don't care which one it is.. as long as someone pays enough for our next cruise!!! LOL Hope you and Bobbie are both well, Keep in touch..you've got my Email as well. Carol in Derby:)

Hi, just thought that I would mention my parent's cruise that they finished today on the Legend of the Seas.

Mother has never cruised before so had nothing to compare it with, and Father has only been on ships to New Zealand years and years ago.

They phoned me up as soon as they got home, and said that they cannot wait to book their next cruise.

They said that the ship was beautiful, [ mother thought it was a building when she first saw it in Southampton!!] because it was so big!

The staff, food, entertainment, and fellow passengers were brilliant.

So they are two very happy RCI first timers

Which I am very happy with, as it was me who told them to go, and after reading a few of the negative comments on some boards, was a bit worried.

but from all account's need not have been.

Hi, just thought that I would mention my parent's cruise that they finished today on the Legend of the Seas.

Mother has never cruised before so had nothing to compare it with, and Father has only been on ships to New Zealand years and years ago.

They phoned me up as soon as they got home, and said that they cannot wait to book their next cruise.

They said that the ship was beautiful, [ mother thought it was a building when she first saw it in Southampton!!] because it was so big!

The staff, food, entertainment, and fellow passengers were brilliant.

So they are two very happy RCI first timers

Which I am very happy with, as it was me who told them to go, and after reading a few of the negative comments on some boards, was a bit worried.

but from all account's need not have been.

Hi scouser..it is such great news to hear that your parents enjoyed their cruise on the Legend so much. I have bored these people to death on this thread going on and on about it and have thrown in my life story along with it. I am so glad that there is a new face that will pick up where I left off and prove that my experience wasn't just a one off and offer fresh information. Tell your parents that they are celebrities..all the US.. and British columbia. and Canada..as well as the UK.. chat on these threads and All now know how lovely the ship is, how kind the staff are, and what a great cruise they had and are all pleased as punch to hear it. As they will be sailing on her soon themselves and these words make all the difference. Hope you have a fantastic Big 50 when the time comes and Especially hope that your parents enjoy another cruise very soon. Thanks so much, Carol

Hello Jamiski, Setting Sail (Hope the twins are well) Phantom 728, Miss Mental (my Derby comrade) and My Fellow Legend Cruisers

Thankfully the hurricane wasn't as bad as expected from what I have managed to hear..but I haven't had many details as I've been with my grandaughter all day..my son is moving house. I hope I am right in thinking that no one was seriously hurt or killed. It worried me all night thinking about all those people. Not knowing what to expect. Jamiski... I replied last night regarding your question on the solarium..but it seems to have not gone through.On the second attempt to reply today, I saw RDeagazio's message about bad reviews. This reminded me of the mans review I read last night and it made me so cross I got sidetracked again telling the story. Very sorry for that extra long sermon. The solarium is lovely with a bit of a Greek feel with columns and vines and plants wrapped around them. It is a very lovely,peaceful area and very comfortable with the best padded furniture of any decks on the ship. There is a table and chairs area.. a reclining seats and footstools section by the large windows .. and around the pool ..deckchairs. Two Hot tubs are either side of the pool. This IS an Adult only area and I believe it is inforced. It is really pretty with the glass roof and from deck 10 above you can walk along the roof and look in onto the pool. There is a bar and coffee and tea..I also think there are cereals and yoghurts, fresh fruit..here for breakfast and hotdogs and pizza here at lunch and late night. As we are not big swimmers, we did n't make use of the pool. But we sat in here before dinner a number of times when it was quiet just to relax and enjoy the comfortable chairs.I did regret that we never got the chance to spend more time here..it was lovely. I didn't appreciate the hot tubs until too late..I had a lot of trouble with all the walking and it would have done wonders for me. During the busy times ..and It was extremely busy here with adults on our cruise...I was hesitant to change and come in amongst everyone. But when the early diners went to get ready for dinner..it emptied.. and I put my feet in once and sat on the edge..it was wonderfully soothing. We had so many windy days, everyone came here to shelter.So it was always crowded in the day. One other thing I remembered today..A nice touch that I am sure you will have as well adopted to your itinery. We were going to the port for Rome as one of our stops and the night before at dinner, they had a group of musicians going around the tables serenading everyone with lovely romantic Italian songs..and they also took requests. It was a wonderful atmosphere. I also saw the thread on Royal Romance and read some of the messages. It is not very good the way people have been handled. I am very surprise that RCI is allowing their reputation to be soiled by associating with this poor quality franchise. RCI certainly needs to take some responsibility for them. I truly hope it all works out for you and you have the wedding of your dreams. I Also Hope that everyone across this thread is happy and well.. have a great weekend..Carol

Archived