Alaska RR - Adventure Class Seat Assignments?

LEtue

I have been searching through the FAQs on the AKRR site and can't find out when seat assignments are done for Adventure Class between ANC and Whittier.

Is this done at check in? Or pre-assigned when you purchase? Just want to know if my friend and I can purchase separately on line and get seats together later at check in......

All I can tell you is that when we checked in last year our seats were already assigned. I suspect that they are assigned ahead of time and it might be difficult to move them around.

Why not just call and ask? Maybe you need to buy them by phone so that they can flag them in the system.

All I can tell you is that when we checked in last year our seats were already assigned. I suspect that they are assigned ahead of time and it might be difficult to move them around.

Why not just call and ask? Maybe you need to buy them by phone so that they can flag them in the system.

Yes, I can call but it is still early in Alaska and I was just wondering if someone already knew the answer :)

Edited by LEtue

They need to be booked together if you want to sit together. They aren't going to keep you with a "open" seat next to you for the other booking to randomly get assigned next to you. Even, if it is available, to "link" the reservations- if a glitch happens, it's going to be too late, when you arrive, and find out, to fix anything. During the season, these trains run very/full.

Simplest solution is to just book them together. Alternatively- you'll have to be accepting of the possibility of not sitting together.

Thanks everyone!

I wasn't sure if a reservation was just that - a reserved seat until check in.

I'm sure I will be up moving around too but when I do return to my seat it would be nice to know the person next to me ;)

People on this board often recommend which side of the train to sit on for the Anchorage-Whittier and Anchorage-Seward routes (and the return trips). If seats are assigned by the railroad, then is it not really possible to ensure that you can sit on the "best" side? Is there a way to request specific seats or a specific side of the train?

Yes, I guess we will have to sit where assigned.

However, I plan to spend time on the open platform and up in the dome area too :)

Edited by LEtue

The Alaska Railroad web site seems to indicate that the Glacier Discovery route to Whittier does not have dome cars. It's not clear whether there is an open platform.

Here is a link to the details of the Adventure Class service and it is available on the Glacier Discovery train. It is a bit confusing because it is actually a vista dome located above the normal seating.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Onboard/AdventureClass/tabid/716/Default.aspx

Fyi- you can call and make a reservation for two. You can pay half and your friend can call and pay half- we have a large party and this is what they suggested we do- it was super nice! (I figured I'd be shelling out the money for the whole group and getting reimbursed but they suggested this instead and it worked well!

Fyi- you can call and make a reservation for two. You can pay half and your friend can call and pay half- we have a large party and this is what they suggested we do- it was super nice! (I figured I'd be shelling out the money for the whole group and getting reimbursed but they suggested this instead and it worked well!

Good to know and thanks for posting this :)