Compare zip tours

Need-a-vacation

While comparing various tours roatan it seems there are several different places. I'll be with my 16-year-old son and neither of us has done this before. I'm looking at bodden's canopy tour, some place called monkey business, and another place called South shore.

Any suggestions on the preferred options for a first timer where the actual zipping is pretty easy?

I HIGHLY recommend Ronystours.com. Rony is a great guy - very friendly and has nice vehicles. He can take you to Victor's to see the monkeys then to the zipline. I recommend South Shore Zipline - really fun. It is close to gorgeous West Bay Beaches. We have used Rony many times - he will make sure you have a fabulous day!

South Shore is a good spot, if you're on a tour heading that way. You'll be at Mahogany Bay. There's a zip line directly across from the shopping area, was called Clip N Zip, that I believe is now associated with the MBCC facility. http://www.clipnziproatan.com/en/index.html

You used to be able to walk right up and pay and take the zip. You may have to book through the cruise line now. But you'll save taxi$ to the West Bay. Of course if you're doing a tour, you can ask the vendor before hand where they take people for zip lining.

thanks for the input. Right now I'm leaning toward rony's "Make new friends" tour and add the south shore zip line option. I was concerned that zip line could be too much for beginners.

The guides will go with you and assist as needed. They show you how to zip. And they'll you zip across piggyback if you have problems. SIL went this way, never zipping before and fearing heights. She had fun but resolved that once was enough.

We have used Rony's Tours twice. First in 2008 with Rony as our guide and recently (last month) with Hector as our guide.

We did the South Shore Canopy Zipline on our recent visit. It has been our only zipline experience so I can't compare to others. The guides were very helpful and the first zip line is relatively short and only a few feet off of the ground. It is used as a training and test run so the guest gets a feel for proper hand position, sitting, braking, etc. The guides will hook the guests to the line at each station and once everything is set, the guest only needs to raise up their feet and the ride starts. The equipment, cables, and structures all appeared to be in excellent condition.

I recommend visitng the Iguana Farm as well.

We did our excursion with Clip N Zip, which is a short walk from the cruise terminal. I'm not sure how the prices compare with other zip line companies but we really really enjoyed going with Clip N Zip.

I have an 11 yr old special needs son who was kind of hesitant to do it at first but the staff at Clip N Zip made him feel really comfortable with the whole process. So comfortable in fact, we went back for a second trip. The first time through, we'd done the Express tour which takes about an hour or so. The Extreme tour which I think also took us about an hour was a little higher off the ground with longer lines between stops (from landing pad to landing pad, as it were) and the last line takes you about a quarter mile from a landing pad in the jungle to the roof of Fat Daddy's. On that one, they put my son in a tandem with a guide to make sure he'd land safely which we really appreciated even though he'd been solo up to that point. They were really helpful and made a lot of jokes and made the whole experience a total blast.

• 4 weeks later...

Did South Shore 2 years ago. Was a blast and great for beginners very safe. Going Roatan in January 2016 & decided to try Pirates Extremely Extreme. Much higher and longer. Something different. Try to do a zip line on each cruise.

Did South Shore 2 years ago. Was a blast and great for beginners very safe. Going Roatan in January 2016 & decided to try Pirates Extremely Extreme. Much higher and longer. Something different. Try to do a zip line on each cruise.

My DH and I did the Pirates of the Caribbean Extremely Extreme Zip Line last year. It was wonderful that they drove you up to the start of the zip line. ( I'm not much of a climbing person) The truck ride alone was a thrilling experience. The truck we were transported in was sliding as it made it's way up the steep incline. I held my breath several times but we made it to the top just fine. The first zip line across is a doozie! It's over 1000 feet long and over 300 feet high at it's highest. The guys helping us along were wonderful. I would do it again. Probably will next cruise too!