RCI NOT sailing out of NO for this year for sure

Boxer_Mom

Boxer Mom,

My advice,,since you are before final payment transfer the booking to a TA you trust (a high volume cruise TA) and have them flex their muscle with RCI.

We were with you on the Brilliance Panama Canal, and did Oscar Brown with you, I am the one in a wheelchair.

Good luck and keep posting and let us know whats up with this cruise. Eventually you will be cruising and this all will be a memory!!

Sherry

It has only been 3 weeks (Only??) since Katrina hit and great progress has been made. Things will be much different before December.

There is clean water across the river in Algiers. Everyday electricity is being restored to a number of locations. Same with telephones.

The Causeway bridge to the Northshore is now open.

As for cell phones, car charges are very popular in times like these.

If they had only put those cigarette lighters in the humvees....

The point is that no one knows what or how long it will take to bring NO back to a habitible area. If the government, residents and emergency responders don't know, I think it's fair to say that Royal doesn't know either.

You have to decide if you want to cancel/change your cruise if you are prior to final payment, or take a chance that you will have to fly to a different port. I'm sure that Royal could handle the situation differently, but they probably know as much as the rest of us do at this point. Royal will have to wait to see how fast the progress is just like we do.

Boxer Mom,

My advice,,since you are before final payment transfer the booking to a TA you trust (a high volume cruise TA) and have them flex their muscle with RCI.

We were with you on the Brilliance Panama Canal, and did Oscar Brown with you, I am the one in a wheelchair.

Good luck and keep posting and let us know whats up with this cruise. Eventually you will be cruising and this all will be a memory!!

Sherry

Thanks for the well wishes. Though I think you may have me mixed up with someone else. Last year was our first cruise. :)

I thought about moving our reservation to a TA , thing is , I work all day and only have my meager lunch hour to do anything in the way of personal calls. Oct 1st is creeping up fast-final pymt.:(

says that the Mayor or N.O. is rushing it. Now the mayor has called a halt to allowing people in albeit due to Rita. The health risk is far too high anyway.

I don't understand why anyone would think that N.O. will be ready for December sailings. According to Thad Allen there is not enough potable water, (if any) 40% of N.O. is still under toxic water, there is not enough electricity. Why would anyone want to use this port?

RCL is just being pig headed. With so many of the first 3 or 4 sailings having their final payment due days over the next very short while, I would say they want those days to pass, force people to committ and then they will change ports.

I believe it is still the government who will have the final decision on whether or not they can sail from N.O. They want the freighters in there long before they are going to worry about one cruise ship that they won't even be able to provision much less get a clean water supply to.

I emailed Mr. Goldstein and asked him what the plans where and to tell him that the CSR's are saying different things. Here is the response I got from Teri Montenegro, Manager - Operations, Royal Caribbean International

"Our apologies that you have not received consistent responses from our staff. As you may know, the Grandeur of the Seas is not scheduled into the Port of New Orleans until December. Our decision is that we will return to New Orleans in December and resume our cruises from this port.

Please be certain that if there is any change to this decision in the future, we will contact all impacted guests immediately. "

Boxer_Mom -

I feel your frustration. We had airfare booked and everything. Luckily, US Air was willing to switch us to Tampa with no charge fee because for us flying into Houston was $200 more pp.

Prior to my calling US Air, I called RCCL and got the we have no new info. Then I sent an email and got basically that they would sail, but weren't sure from where. I sent them back a not so nice reply and to be sure to forward it to their higher ups, letting them know that first of all, their customers are fed-up with the fact that they can't make or announce their intentions and that they are losing a lot of loyal customers by their current actions in regards to the Grandeur sailings and in future I would consider an alternate cruise line as we are a military family and get better rates from Carnival. I did get a reply back that my comments would be forwarded.

I've since changed my flight and cruise to leave from Tampa on Legend of the Seas. But am still amazed that RCCL has not announced a decision. They are definitely pissing off a lot of people.

I've worked in customer service for over 15 years and been a supervisor for many major national brand companies. This is going to sound terrible, but keep up the pressure on them because they need to know how their actions affect their customers.

We have decided to hold out. We will make our final pymt by Oct 1st and wait it out. Worse case scenerio, if our Dec 10th cruise gets canceled, we get our money back and we go back to Tennessee like we did before we discovered the wonderful world of cruising.

I dont think it will get canceled, but now with Rita, I dont think it will go to Galveston either, perhaps Mobile.

We shall see.

My new friend LDR from the boards wont be happy :( She was set for our cruise to and switched to LOS and we SERIOUSLY debated on going with her.

Crossing my fingers and toes!!

Yes BoxerMom, I AM BUMMED,we would have had a BLAST together, but I think you will get to cruise from somewhere,eventually they will have to say something, you might get airlifted out to the Grandeur, but you're going!

We'll just get together when I come down to NOLA!

I am a Carnival cruiser who has been watching this thread because I was booked on the Sensation out of NOLA on March 11, 2006 . I received an URGENT e-mail from Carnival yesterday stating that my cruise had been cancelled as well as all sailings out of NOLA until October 2006. I hope this is not the case for all of you. At least they have given us enough notice to try to schedule something eles, the only problem is that they will not give us the same price that we were paying...charging us 130.00 more per person but with a 50.00 on board credit if we re-book before December. I hope RCCL treat you all better. Good Luck!:(

I just called RCI myself and was told unequivocally that no decision has been made, and it may well be another month, but that the sailing WILL NOT be cancelled.

That's exactly our point, the cruise won't be cancelled but we don't know where it will leave from. Self arranged airfare, etc is of no use if the cruise moves to Galveston, Tampa, or Baltimore if one can't get to the pier at reasonable expense.

The fact that RCCL pretends that this is not an issue is what is p*ssing me off. Again, "Jabar" the phone agent acted incredulous that I would suspect that the Grandeur wasn't moving to NOLA in a few weeks.

Well we moved our cruise to Dec 2006, and I can for the life of me think why I am still willing to give this company any of my money.

We are still tossing the idea of switching to MOS for Dec 11th:rolleyes: , we will decide that by tomorrow so we can deposit cash and get final pymt made.

O woe is me! :o LOL

We fared ok with Rita, just had water past my sidewalk. We have never had a south wind here before! It blew all the water up every canal, bayou etc. and places that have never flooded before are now well,,,flooded. And the places that flooded back for Juan and Andrew are very much under as well, hopefully when the wind direction changes ( supposedly tomorrow) we will see water go down.

Thanks everyone for your posts in response to my never ending frustration with RCI :)

As a previous Grandeur cruiser out of New Orleans, I know it was a wonderful place to embark. Unfortunately, things have changed. I urge all of you who are calling RCCL trying to determine where your cruise will depart to ask RCCL to move a ship to Mobile while you've got RCCL on the phone. I went on the Carnival Holiday in January and the cruise terminal is phenomenal - modern, up to date, and the city was so glad to have cruisers and Carnival there - they are so gracious. However, now Mobile has lost its cruise business due to the Holiday being rented to FEMA for an unknown (lengthy) period of time. My TA is in Mobile and said she has not booked a cabin in three weeks, but she's canceled so many. Mobile is taking at least a $12 million hit by not having Carnival there, not to mention the damage the city got from Katrina (small compared to MS and LA, but they still suffered). So, please URGE, BEG, PLEAD RCCL to MOVE A SHIP TO MOBILE. I promise you won't mind leaving out of Mobile! You'll love the Southern Hospitality!!!

Its official, it is Tampa. Now you can all plan accordingly and lay to rest all the rumors that have been floating around. I know may are disappoint,but at least now we can make our plans.

Annieeee

Royal Caribbean Redeploys Grandeur of the Seas to Tampa

Indefinite Closure of Port of New Orleans Prompts Cruise Line to Move Ship; Revised Bookings Open Today MIAMI, Sept 27, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- Due to the indefinite closure of the Port of New Orleans, Royal Caribbean International's Grandeur of the Seas will begin offering four- and five-night Western Caribbean itineraries from the Port of Tampa beginning Dec. 3, 2005. Grandeur had been scheduled to sail from the Port of New Orleans on a series of seven-night Western Caribbean cruises from December 2005 through May 2006, when she was to be repositioned to the Port of Baltimore.

Grandeur of the Seas will now sail four-night cruises out of Tampa with a port of call in Cozumel, Mexico, as well as five-night cruises visiting the Mexican cities of Costa Maya and Cozumel from Dec. 3 through April 22, 2006. She will then sail a seven-night Western Caribbean cruise beginning April 22, followed by a seven-night cruise to San Juan, Puerto Rico, beginning April 29. Grandeur will leave San Juan May 6 on a six-night repositioning cruise to Baltimore, where she will begin sailing a series of alternating five-night Bermuda and nine-night Western Caribbean itineraries May 12 through Nov. 10.

"We truly regret that we are unable to sail from New Orleans for the next several months," said Adam Goldstein, president of Royal Caribbean International. "The impact of Hurricane Katrina has been devastating, but we know that New Orleans will eventually reclaim its place as a world-class tourism destination. We will work with guests who have already booked sailings on Grandeur of the Seas to ensure they experience as little inconvenience as possible. And, we look forward to returning to the Port of New Orleans as soon as circumstances permit us to do so."

Guests already booked on Grandeur of the Seas sailings that were to depart from the Port of New Orleans have several options from which to choose to continue their cruise vacation plans between Dec. 3, 2005, and April 22, 2006. Guests may choose:

* One of the four- or five-night Grandeur sailings from Tampa, Splendour of the Seas sailings from Galveston or Enchantment of the Seas sailings from Fort Lauderdale. Guests who rebook on Grandeur will receive a partial refund and a $150-per-stateroom onboard credit. Guests who rebook on Splendour or Enchantment will receive a partial refund and $100-per-stateroom onboard credit;

* Any seven-night cruise on a Vision-class vessel (Vision of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Splendour of the Seas or Legend of the Seas) at the rate paid (price protected) and a $100-per-stateroom onboard credit;

* Any other Royal Caribbean itinerary at prevailing rates and a $100-per- stateroom onboard credit; or

* To cancel and receive a full refund, plus a $100-per-stateroom future cruise certificate.

Revised bookings will be accepted today through Nov. 1, 2005.

Grandeur of the Seas guests who have already purchased air transportation through Royal Caribbean will receive assistance in changing their flights to arrive and depart from Tampa or the airport closest to their cruise departure point. Guests who booked their own air transportation should contact their carriers to make alternate flight arrangements. Royal Caribbean International is working directly with the airlines to request that cruise-only guests not be held responsible for any change fees.

Travel agent commissions will be protected when their clients reschedule their cruise on Grandeur of the Seas or any another Royal Caribbean sailing from Dec. 3, 2005, to April 22, 2006.

Royal Caribbean International is a global cruise vacation company with 19 ships in service and two more under construction. The company also offers unique cruisetour vacations in Alaska, Canada and Europe. Additional information can be found on the company's web site at http://www.royalcaribbean.com or by calling 800-327-6700.

SOURCE Royal Caribbean International

Released today by RCCL:

ROYAL CARIBBEAN REDEPLOYS GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS TO TAMPA

Indefinite Closure of Port of New Orleans Prompts Cruise Line to Move Ship;
Revised Bookings Open Today

MIAMI, Sept. 27, 2005 – Due to the indefinite closure of the Port of New Orleans, Royal Caribbean International’s Grandeur of the Seas will begin offering four- and five-night Western Caribbean itineraries from the Port of Tampa beginning Dec. 3, 2005. Grandeur had been scheduled to sail from the Port of New Orleans on a series of seven-night Western Caribbean cruises from December 2005 through May 2006, when she was to be repositioned to the Port of Baltimore.

Grandeur of the Seas will now sail four-night cruises out of Tampa with a port of call in Cozumel, Mexico, as well as five-night cruises visiting the Mexican cities of Costa Maya and Cozumel from Dec. 3 through April 22, 2006. She will then sail a seven-night Western Caribbean cruise beginning April 22, followed by a seven-night cruise to San Juan, Puerto Rico, beginning April 29. Grandeur will leave San Juan May 6 on a six-night repositioning cruise to Baltimore, where she will begin sailing a series of alternating five-night Bermuda and nine-night Western Caribbean itineraries May 12 through Nov. 10.

“We truly regret that we are unable to sail from New Orleans for the next several months,” said Adam Goldstein, president of Royal Caribbean International. “The impact of Hurricane Katrina has been devastating, but we know that New Orleans will eventually reclaim its place as a world-class tourism destination. We will work with guests who have already booked sailings on Grandeur of the Seas to ensure they experience as little inconvenience as possible. And, we look forward to returning to the Port of New Orleans as soon as circumstances permit us to do so.”

Guests already booked on Grandeur of the Seas sailings that were to depart from the Port of New Orleans have several options from which to choose to continue their cruise vacation plans between Dec. 3, 2005, and April 22, 2006. Guests may choose:
* One of the four- or five-night Grandeur sailings from Tampa, Splendour of the Seas sailings from Galveston or Enchantment of the Seas sailings from Fort Lauderdale. Guests who rebook on Grandeur will receive a partial refund and a $150-per-stateroom onboard credit. Guests who rebook on Splendour or Enchantment will receive a partial refund and $100-per-stateroom onboard credit;
* Any seven-night cruise on a Vision-class vessel (Vision of the Seas, Enchantment of the Seas, Rhapsody of the Seas, Splendour of the Seas or Legend of the Seas) at the rate paid (price protected) and a $100-per-stateroom onboard credit;
* Any other Royal Caribbean itinerary at prevailing rates and a $100-per-stateroom onboard credit; or
* To cancel and receive a full refund, plus a $100-per-stateroom future cruise certificate.
Revised bookings will be accepted today through Nov. 1, 2005.

Grandeur of the Seas guests who have already purchased air transportation through Royal Caribbean will receive assistance in changing their flights to arrive and depart from Tampa or the airport closest to their cruise departure point. Guests who booked their own air transportation should contact their carriers to make alternate flight arrangements. Royal Caribbean International is working directly with the airlines to request that cruise-only guests not be held responsible for any change fees.

Archived