How Early Do You Start Packing ? :p

JoeTN

Our cruise isn't until 10/08/2006 and I'm already packing. I've been to Kohl's and found skirts and blouses that I'm planning to wear for the casual nights. They are in my closet and ready to be put into the suitcase. I just need shorts, a couple of shirts, and a few new swim suits and I'm ready.

Okay, so for the past few months, I've been collecting things in gallon sized Ziploc bags to pack. I have all of my toiletries ready to go, my bathing suit, snorkel gear and my formal night outfit ready. I also have all of my clothes packed too. Only have to toss in my curling iron, blow dryer and medications in and I'm ready. Even have my bottled water, gum and snacks and my accordian file with my plane tickets, cruise documents and hotel reservations in my carry-on bag. My fiance on the other hand will toss his things casually in his suitcase about an hour before we leave. Well, I have made it easy for him, he only has to pack his electric shaver and his suit for formal night. He knows I have a gallon bag with band-aids, pepto, alcohol wipes to clean the room with etc etc. so no chance he'll really leave anything behind!

To be perfectly honest though, I've had to fight the urge to pack for over a month now! I just packed this past weekend. I have a weird ritual before a cruise. I have to leave with new make-up, undies and socks, nothing nicer than crisp white socks, some hot red lipstick and cute new undies to make you feel girly!

Well, happy cruising to all, I'm counting the days until my Dec. 3rd cruise on the Carnival Celebration!

Virgie

Glad to hear I am not the only one that buys these personal things new before a vacation!? But I have an advantage this time, I just cruised in Sept. so everything that I bought for that cruise obviously I still have and will use for this one. But what I usually do and what I did be for the Sept. cruise was to get my suitcase and leave it out in my bedroom so as I bought new things I could just put it in the suitcase. I was so prepared for anything in Sept., I was like a walkie drug store! But it was my boyfriend's first cruise and I wanted him to have a great time so I made sure we had everything and that he wanted for nothing!

It worked and he is now addicted and happy that we are booked and leaving on the Legend of the Seas in Dec.

So IMO it is never too early to pack for a vacation, just remember to check that item off your list as you toss it in your awaiting suitcase!

You are going to have a great time, I can feel it!

Cruizinrican:)

I must say that I am very bad about that... I start packing as soon as I book my cruise.. it drives my husband crazy.. suitcases all over the guest bed...and he ask for something and I say... wait a minute.. let me check the suitcases... ha ha.. I get a little excited about cruising.. I am crazy about it...:D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have my list made and just tonight I tried on all the outfits to make sure they looked good together. Have lost some weight and had to buy clothes a size smaller. (I do have a pair of larger sized capris ready just in case the weight gets out of hand.)

I probably won't actually put things in a suitcase until a couple of days before the cruise. We're spending the night before the flight at a motel that offer shuttle service to DFW. It is actually costing about the same to spend the night at the Raddison and let them keep our car than paying for our car to stay at one of the Park and Pays for 10 days.

DH will pack the night before or maybe even the morning before we go to the Raddison.

• 2 months later...

Our cruise is not for another 7 weeks and I have already started packing. I got out my suitcase and I throw things in it that I'm always forgetting to take on our cruises. Like Binoculars, GPS, waterproof camera, etc. Things that I won't be needing until the cruise.

Our cruise is not for another 7 weeks and I have already started packing. I got out my suitcase and I throw things in it that I'm always forgetting to take on our cruises. Like Binoculars, GPS, waterproof camera, etc. Things that I won't be needing until the cruise.

I always do this! And as I buy new things I wash, iron it and pack it in the suitcase. No last minute running around for me!

We leave the end of May and I have one guest bedroom all taken up with my "cruise" things! Clothing, all of the items suggested from these boards such as power stips, shoe bags, etc, all kinds of stuff!

Problem with this is, I just keep buying more things! Gotta quit that. Better go check on eBay and see if I won that new beaded jacket....

lol i feel i got it the worst. i dont leave till nov 30th for my first cruise and im mentally packing everything, including the clothes i havenot yet bought but somehow imagine im going to have!

I'm right there with ya. Oct can't get here soon enough. I love the fact that you and I have the same issue... figuring out how to pack the clothes we haven't bought yet and imagine we're going to have... no doubt.

Dona

We're just about to go on Silver Cloud from Barbasdos to Lisbon. 18 days to go:) However, we fly the day before directly from London, so knowing me I'll be packing on Friday night after coming home from work at about midnight so I can clear my desk!!!! Panic panic panic, but I'll be on me hols the next day so I don't care!!!!!(Still have to pack my kilt though ;) I can almost taste my first g&t on the balacony :)

So many people that wait a few days or a week before their trip, I start mentally packing the day we book! I begin creating the list in my Palm about 3 months before we leave and the suitcase comes out a month before we go on ANY kind of beach vacation.

The only exception was our last cruise, my DH and I bought a house and moved 4 days before we flew out to Puerto Rico and I had to unpack boxes to pack for our trip. The only thing I left was my Aloe Vera, an essential for my fair skin.

Archived