How Early Do You Start Packing ? :p

JoeTN

It's NEVER too early to plan/pack for a cruise. We start with things that always go suntan lotion, repelllant for bugs, travel first aid, etc. I make lists months before we go and revise them even more often. I agree with many others that the anticipation is one of the best parts. Happy cruising.

Trisha

I travel quite frequently, so I always keep my an extra set of tolietries packed, and promptly refill them when I return.

My next cruise is a little less than 11 months away. I have already started a collection of stuff for this trip. ie: my bungee cord, power strip, etc. I put them all in a space bag under my bed, and add to it when I come across something.

One thing I took on the last cruise was "evian misters"...they are basically can of water that you mist yourself with. These came in a 3 pack and were small enough to fit in our beach bag or fanny packs. On the bus ride to the Belize canopy tour, other passengers were laughing at me. About 1/2 thru the jungle...they all wanted to be my best friends' and have a lil mist! It also comes in handy on the beach when you want to rinse the salt water off your face.

I start about a month in advance. Suitcase open in the corner of the bedroom and as I wash something I know I won't need between now and then, it goes in the suitcase. True, before it's closed up I will pull everything out and re-arrange it but this gives me a better idea what size and how much luggage I need. Also, I do laundry for the last time 3 days before I have to finish with packing and only wear/use things I'm not taking so I don't have to add anything later and cuts down on forgetting things.

we were on the disney wonder this past feb. i started "cleaning out closets" in late december and wouldn't you know, there were things i wanted to take on vacation! seemed silly to put them back in the closet, so might as well start a "vacation pile" in the guest room, near the suitcases but not in the suitcases. then, when my husband asked why i was packing so early, i could just tell him that i was not packing--only cleaning out the closets!

Doesn't matter if it's a cruise or another vacation. I always bring up the suitcases a week or more ahead of time, but we never seem to pack until the day of our adventure, or if time prevents (like a 6:30am flight) then the night before. Maybe we don't have as many clothes that we can do without or something, but I always seem to be doing every last stitch of laundry just hours before closing up the suitcases.:cool: I also don't have lists. I'll admit to downloading list(s), but only to see if there's something on it that i felt necessary. Some of the things people bring, are a bit much for me. I've read enough posts to know some people swear by duct tape, but DUCT TAPE???? Truly, i just don't get it! I do get people needing lists, I'm just not that type. And I do get people needing or wanting to start packing early, I always try, it just doesn't happen. Do I ever forget things? You bet ya! Recently, we went somewhere just for a night and I forgot to bring underwear and pajamas!:eek: Yep, you guessed it I had to take my clothes off, take off my underwear, put my clothes back on without underwear and wash the underwear for use the next day. No hanging out naked with kids around!:eek:

Normally I start packing a couple of weeks ahead, however, this time I needed to buy a larger suitcase - being a 3 week trip. I also ended up buying quite a few t-shirts, crinkle cotton skirts and so on, so rather than put the new bits away in drawers/wardrobe I have put them straight into the case. The two formal dresses are hanging in the wardrobe and will be packed the morning that I leave - my taxi collects me at 11am to go to the airport. My case is now almost completely packed, nothing should get creased as everything is still folded as it was in the shop and the skirts are crinkled anyway and the case is large enough to take them almost lying flat anyway.

The only thing I do tend to do on a regular basis as I add things to the case is weigh it as I have to keep to 20kg maximum for the flights - 3 planes/2 airlines each way.

confused.gif I have been purchasing so many things that I have to pack them so I don't leave them behind. I need to start a list and start crossing off. Getting a lot of good info on what to bring. Didn't think we could bring boos? How does that work? Heard security was really checking that stuff? When someone says it is cold on ship do you mean the air conditioning in dining areas, etc? I will have to bring some hoodies too! I like the fold up duffel bag- definately have that!

1st Cruise can't wait!

Dianerolleyes.gif

Victory Oct 23rd 05

I start making lists of what I want to take shortly after I book the cruise! I've managed to actually lose a bit of weight and needed new clothes so I've been putting them straight in the suitcase. I leave on Oct. 14, so I'm definitely ahead at this point.

Terri

I got the bags out today for our upcoming cruise in 2 weeks. I've been ironing all day and putting outfits together to go in the suitcases. Of course there are some things that are always in the case ie toilitries swimsuits coverup beach shoes so I just move those things over and start adding my clothes.

We're sailing in March & the "mental lists" have already started. (I think they started as we were getting off the ship from the last cruise - "we shoulda taken this", "We didn't need that.") Once we start buying anything new that's "just for the cruise", it'll get put aside. After the holidays, we'll begin the lists & things will start to get "serious". We're sailing on a Weds & flying down the day before. Since we both have to work on Mon, we pretty much have to be packed by that Sun night.

Last cruise, we sailed on a Sat, & flew down the day before & worked Mon - Thurs that week. We should have tried to be packed by Sunday that time, too, but noooooo. Instead, we packed until midnight or so on Thurs, we slept thru our 4AM alarm & only woke up when my dad showed up to bring us to the airport. Needless to say, we were rushed & exhausted & ended up forgetting my BF's suit - which had been neatly hung in the laundry room since going to the cleaners the week before! One frantic (but somehow fun!) shopping trip in Port Canaveral later, we had a new sportcoat (on sale!), shirt ($5 - perfect size!) & tie to wear with his khakis. Thank goodness for Dillards & their great staff who helped us out!

You can never start to pack too early! Or get to sleep too early the night before you leave!

Sha

I am about a month from sailing & have the suitcases out. I am throwing things in them as i think about it... i can't wait until the last minute to pack b/c i'm getting married the day before we leave. Since our flight leaves at 6:30 for Miami, I don't think i am going to be getting up early to pack anything. Me? Tons of lists!!!!

This is sad, but I don't cruise until January and I had lists with clothes for everyday for the trip and most of my things in my suitcase in July. But in my defense, I knew I had to go back to school in September and if I lost anything I'd only have the week or so that I'm at home before the cruise (which also happens to be Christmastime!) to find it. But I need to go through it all and actually pack it, because it's not separated into the suitcases that it's going to be.

I am about done now. I have most of the suitcases closed up now and except for some beading on one of my formals (which I am finishing tomorrow, nothing like waiting till the last minute) I am all set. My sister in law has not even done her laundry for the trip and we leave Thursday early.

I am deathly afraid of forgetting something I will need. I have the iPod next to the computer and am about to upload the new music to it.

• 4 weeks later...

We're 35 days out from our Cruise on Empress of the Seas and we have an action packer in a spare room where we throw in things as they come to mind. Living in South America means we can't quickly get some things ($1!!) Over the door shoe racks etc. so we figured we'd better start early.

Plus this is our first cruise and we're counting down the days. We'll probably go through the action packer early the week we travel and start packing the bags. Although we've traveled (here in SA) for the last 18 years and have many lists, I've learned a lot from browsing the CC forums!

Brad and Karen

We leave in about 8 weeks, and we've got our list ready to go. We've picked up some things we had to get, and we have our suitcases out. We leave on Dec 26 and we're both in ministry, so Christmas is very busy for both of us... meaning this year we won't be able to take the 2-3 days before we leave to do the final packing. I would like to be packed and ready to go almost a week in advance. I find packing late, even the day before, takes away from the "relaxation" that I like to start even before we arrive. I'd like to go out the door calm and with lots of time to spare... but usually we end up running around, throwing last-minute things into our bags.

We do it the day before since we only live about 40 min from Miami and 25 min from Ft. Lauderdale. We don't have to deal with a flight so we have a lot of extra time. It is a good idea to make a packing list. I once forgot my Diving certification card and had to call up the company to fax a copy of the card to me in Key west.

Archived