Shareholder benefit question

While it can be unpleasant as the customer, remember the goal of any company is to maximize profits for shareholders... Which RC is clearly doing a good job at. They view it as a "win" when the stock price goes up, and as the saying goes "you've got to break some eggs to make an omelette". As a customer I don't like a lot of the decisions Royal has made over the past 5 years, but profits are all the positive reinforcement they need.

Once upon a time you used to be able to stack "nextcruise" credits + CAI status + shareholder benefits + travel agent credits. I once snagged a 3-day JS on the Sovereign for $300pp total out of pocket including prepaid gratuities. Those were the days... things change.

While it can be unpleasant as the customer, remember the goal of any company is to maximize profits for shareholders... Which RC is clearly doing a good job at. They view it as a "win" when the stock price goes up, and as the saying goes "you've got to break some eggs to make an omelette". As a customer I don't like a lot of the decisions Royal has made over the past 5 years, but profits are all the positive reinforcement they need.

Once upon a time you used to be able to stack "nextcruise" credits + CAI status + shareholder benefits + travel agent credits. I once snagged a 3-day JS on the Sovereign for $300pp total out of pocket including prepaid gratuities. Those were the days... things change.

I agree they are in business to make a profit but they still should support the shareholders who have supported them through thick and thin !!

Can you have a C 7 A price reduction removed in order to use the Shareholders benefit OBC

I'm not sure what a C 7 A price reduction is.

I am currently working on getting the shareholder benefit for two cruises. My scenario is that I booked in May 2014 under a BOGOHO and got a RCL on board credit. At that time the BOGOHO was combinable, but the OBC was not.

One cruise is coming up in Oct, so I called Crown & Anchor for help. After some serious research that required a call back, the rep was able to find the rules that applied to my booking. The BOGOHO is fine, but I need to get the RCL OBC removed to get the shareholder benefit applied. Between the two cruises the shareholder benefit is $175 more than the RCL OBC.

So the rep put notes in my booking and the next step is to send in the shareholder benefit request asking them to remove the RCL OBC and apply the higher shareholder benefit. We'll see if that works.

Anyway my point is that you should call Crown and Anchor and have them look at it for you. The rep's first response was that I couldn't do it, but when I questioned that, she went back again to find the specific rules for my booking 14 months ago and came up with a different response. Each person's booking is different and the rules change from sale to sale. You need expert assistance.

Edited by 138east

I'm not sure what a C 7 A price reduction is.

I am currently working on getting the shareholder benefit for two cruises. My scenario is that I booked in May 2014 under a BOGOHO and got a RCL on board credit. At that time the BOGOHO was combinable, but the OBC was not.

One cruise is coming up in Oct, so I called Crown & Anchor for help. After some serious research that required a call back, the rep was able to find the rules that applied to my booking. The BOGOHO is fine, but I need to get the RCL OBC removed to get the shareholder benefit applied. Between the two cruises the shareholder benefit is $175 more than the RCL OBC.

So the rep put notes in my booking and the next step is to send in the shareholder benefit request asking them to remove the RCL OBC and apply the higher shareholder benefit. We'll see if that works.

Anyway my point is that you should call Crown and Anchor and have them look at it for you. The rep's first response was that I couldn't do it, but when I questioned that, she went back again to find the specific rules for my booking 14 months ago and came up with a different response. Each person's booking is different and the rules change from sale to sale. You need expert assistance.

You shouldn't have an issue. Below is from the shareholder benefit FAQ and I does state you get to choose which benefit you would like to apply.

8. Are there any restrictions?

Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, agents of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators. Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate. Shareholders have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer. The Shareholder must own the Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. stock at time of sailing. Onboard credit is calculated in US dollars except on sailings where the onboard currency used is a foreign currency (in which case the onboard credit will be converted at a currency exchange rate determined by the cruise line) and is not redeemable for cash. Certificate value credited to onboard account at time of sailing. Any unused credit shall be forfeited. Credit is applied on a per stateroom basis; double occupancy. Single guests paying 200% of applicable fare shall receive full value of certificate. Only one shareholder credit per stateroom. Only one credit per shareholder on any one sailing. If you are requesting shareholder onboard credit for two or more separate cabins and shares are held jointly, a minimum of 100 shares per cabin booked must be held. Other terms and conditions may apply.

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-shareholderbenefit

Edited by Ourusualbeach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I would let everyone know that I did finally get my $100 OBC for my stock ownership and they responded just two hours later. That is the fasted response time yet. So happy now as I received $100 from my TA and $100 from RCCL and then $50 from my mother for my birthday. This will be paying for half of my drink package when I sail 9/13.

I want to sell my Royal Caribbean stock. I only own 50 shares and I'm ready to sell, but don't know who to contact at Royal Caribbean. It is a paper stock certificate that I have with Royal Caribbean. Does anyone know where I begin?

RCI does not buy back stock shares. You have to find your self a broker. Why not contact the broker that you purchased the stock with.

Edited by cruisenfever

Just be aware that if you are getting any kind of C&A benefit like an OBC or balcony discount, your request for OBC from Shareholder's Benefits will be denied. You can not combine any C&A benefit with Shareholder Benefits.

And that is very disappointing. Princess and other Carnival lines let me combine most OBCs

I remember those days, brought my stock for $21. Then everyone bragged and the combining went away.

• 1 month later...