Should we get off the boat in Victoria?

princessliz

Does anyone know if you are required to clear customs? Just curious, if that would mess up our duty free allowance since we'll be driving back to home to Canada again the next day after arriving in Seattle, therefore only technically we'd be gone from Canada for less than 24 hours during that period...

Yes, you are required to clear customs, but you don't actually present yourselves to an agent. You will receive a Canadian Customs declaration form in your cabin. You fill it out with all the information, make your declaration, and then hand it in to Guest Services. The cards are then checked and cleared by agents, but you don't see any of that. When we did this in May, it took a long time (like over an hour from the time we docked), due to the "high number of international travelers onboard" (exact words).

So - having said that, for your port stop in Victoria technically you are declaring everything you purchased while out of Canada, from the day you left Canada. This is when you declare it, not when you cross the border in your car the next day. We just did this exact thing, explained it to the agent, and he understood fully that we had already cleared customs. It won't mess up your allowance because the personal exemption is the same for 48 hours or more, and 7 days or more ($800.00 per person).

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pdt-pdt-eng.html <--Canada Border Services Agency link

Hope this helps. :)

Yes, you are required to clear customs, but you don't actually present yourselves to an agent. You will receive a Canadian Customs declaration form in your cabin. You fill it out with all the information, make your declaration, and then hand it in to Guest Services. The cards are then checked and cleared by agents, but you don't see any of that. When we did this in May, it took a long time (like over an hour from the time we docked), due to the "high number of international travelers onboard" (exact words).

So - having said that, for your port stop in Victoria technically you are declaring everything you purchased while out of Canada, from the day you left Canada. This is when you declare it, not when you cross the border in your car the next day. We just did this exact thing, explained it to the agent, and he understood fully that we had already cleared customs. It won't mess up your allowance because the personal exemption is the same for 48 hours or more, and 7 days or more ($800.00 per person).

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pdt-pdt-eng.html <--Canada Border Services Agency link

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, that is exactly what we were wondering. I thought that might have been the way it worked, like you said declaring everything in Victoria not at the boarder the next day. You're right we just need the 48 hour allowance, I was just afraid we'd be held to the 24 hour allowance that doesn't allow any of the good stuff ;)

You're right we just need the 48 hour allowance, I was just afraid we'd be held to the 24 hour allowance that doesn't allow any of the good stuff ;)

Understood. ;) :D But you have the paperwork/receipts to back it up, that you left Canada on a cruise from either Vancouver or Seattle (if you embark in Vancouver, you will go trough U.S. Customs pre-clearance at the pier, thus technically putting you in the U.S. when you board your ship) "x" number of days ago and that will be your allowance.

That is very tight... You dock at 7:30 it could take a bit to clear and get off the ship. It is over a 30min drive to the gardens and it takes a good couple hours to walk through and for what you pay you want to spend the time and not rush through. Personally getting there that late I would just explore around downtown and enjoy a drink in one of the pubs, but that is just me. The downtown is full of interesting and beautiful places to explore!

Thanks everyone. I figured it was pushing it but it is disappointing that this port is so late in the day. I suppose we will have to save this until the next trip...whenever that is.

Edited by mbbarron