Naples - getting a driver at port?

Having been to Naples once before, I recall there were drivers (taxi's) at port as you left the ship offering transportation/tours. Has anyone used them and at what price. Its seems hiring a guide for 450E/day is awfully expensive. We would like to go to Herculaneum then to Sorrento - can all be done on the train. The problem is we would like to go to a winery somewhere too - probably need a driver for that?

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

There are many posts on Naples drivers/tour guides. Can you share a guide w/ others on your cruise?

I have a friend that hired Francesco Marrapesa (sp?) in July w/ 2 other couples. They went to Pompeii, then the Amalfi Coast. She absolutely raved about him. Said his tour was fabulous. Her sister booked him this month for a tour guide. If you can find someone to share w/ you the cost is much less. I do not have his email address handy, but can find it if you are interested. I am sure someone else has it also.

As for getting a driver at the port, they would only be providing taxi services. They are not licensed guides. From what I have read, there is a big difference.

Hope this helps.

Mary

We hired a taxi in Naples 2 years ago and at that time the cost for "the day" was about $250 ( w/tip) which we split with another couple.. assume that it has gone up by now ;-)

There was one guy at the port sort of the "boss" who did all the speaking for the drivers, negotiated prices etc. The driver spoke very , very little English..but did take us where we wanted to go.. so it worked out..lots of hand signaling going on and pantomine..:D

Hired private guide/driver last year and cost wasn't that much more , plus he spoke English

We just returned from the September 7th sailing. We (two couples) intended to to Naples - Pompeii - Sorrento - Positano back to Naples all on our own. I knew about all the taxi drivers upselling you on a tour if you just want to go to the train station, so I was dead set against it.

However... the young driver (Antonio, 26 years old, good English) who agreed to take us to the train station for 12 Euro worked hard to give us a deal at less than 200 Euros (for 4 people) after 10 minutes of negotiations. We did about 140 km going to Pompeii (he waited about 90 minutes at a souvenir shop). Then to the Amalfi coast to a lookout over Positano, where we sampled Limoncello and bought some souvenirs, then headed back to Sorrento, had lunch at a fish restaurant. It was not a set "feast" forced upon us. We could even order a pizza, which was not on the menu. One person in our party had a pasta with clams, which was the best pasta she ever had. (Note: the driver's lunch was added to our bill, which was a surprise to us but it was a reasonable amount). Then we had an hour to shop around around the main square. We went to the park overlooking the sea and strolled thorugh the narrow streets. I even found Davide's Gelato's place which was just heaven. We were back at the port by 5 pm, almost falling asleep on the way. It was really worth it. Antonio has a (non identical) twin, and two older brothers. They all drive taxis for the same company. Antonio lived in Barcelona for a year with his uncle, so he is also fluent in Spanish. He was not a real "guide" but gave us some facts along the way.

Archived