Handicapped Signature Suite Question & Misc other Q's

Beth8649

I finally found a pic of one of the HAL handicapped bathrooms. There is no shower wall and it looks like the toilet located in the shower area. I'm very worried about us falling on a wet floor after 1 person showers and then another person goes in to use the toilet. Does anyone have personal experience with these bathrooms? Please let me know how you managed. Will they give us a mop? (We booked a signature suite handicapped for a December sailing on the Westerdam)

I haven't been on a cruise in over 25years, can you still order anything you want in the main dining room even if it is not on that night's menu choices?

Do the cabin sinks full plug when you plug them to wash out small items? A guide I read said we needed a universal sink plug.

Are there ice buckets in the room?

What is the current charge for soda pop? Does HAL have soda pop packages? Can 1 in a party of 3 get the package or does the whole party have to get the package? ( None of us drink alcohol)

What is the current laundry charge?

Is there room on the signature suite balcony for a reclining deck chair? If I ask for one, will that request be granted?

What items are on the breakfast & dinner room service menu?

Has anyone ever gifted the Chefs? About how many chefs are on the ship? Can I visit the kitchen to gift the chefs?

I finally found a pic of one of the HAL handicapped bathrooms. There is no shower wall and it looks like the toilet located in the shower area. I'm very worried about us falling on a wet floor after 1 person showers and then another person goes in to use the toilet. Does anyone have personal experience with these bathrooms? Please let me know how you managed. Will they give us a mop? (We booked a signature suite handicapped for a December sailing on the Westerdam)

I haven't been on a cruise in over 25years, can you still order anything you want in the main dining room even if it is not on that night's menu choices?

Welcome to CC and HAL.

Sometimes but you always ask for variations on what is on the menu (addtions or deletions).

Do the cabin sinks full plug when you plug them to wash out small items? A guide I read said we needed a universal sink plug.

There is full plug stopper included in the fixture.

Are there ice buckets in the room?

Yes. You can ask for a larger ice bucket for champagne bottles or if you just want more ice.

What is the current charge for soda pop? Does HAL have soda pop packages? Can 1 in a party of 3 get the package or does the whole party have to get the package? ( None of us drink alcohol)

$2.15 for sodas. There is a soda package but I am not sure if all in the stateroom must purchase one. The beverage package must be purchased by all.

What is the current laundry charge?

$20/bag or $7/bag/cabin if you purchase for the entire week. There is also a piece rate on the laundry form.

Is there room on the signature suite balcony for a reclining deck chair? If I ask for one, will that request be granted?

Turned sideways one would fit but don't be surprised if they say "no".

What items are on the breakfast & dinner room service menu?

Here is a link to all of the HAL Specialty Restaurant, Beverages, and Room Service menus:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/hal-regular-and-specialty-restaurants/

Has anyone ever gifted the Chefs? About how many chefs are on the ship? Can I visit the kitchen to gift the chefs?

Not sure about this question.

See my input above in red. Hope this gives you a headstart on your planning.

Here is my photograpic tour of the Westerdam to give you an idea of the ship's layout:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/travel-2/ms-westerdam-tour/

Edited by Crew News

Thank you, Crew News, for the info on the stopper. I'm very appreciative of the info. Mom is 94 and I'm trying to just have 2 carry-ons between us and we need so many things for mom. One less item is a blessing! Thanks!

Thank you, Crew News, for the info on the stopper. I'm very appreciative of the info. Mom is 94 and I'm trying to just have 2 carry-ons between us and we need so many things for mom. One less item is a blessing! Thanks!

I have added more to my post above

We had a wheelchair accessible Lanai this May on the Veendam. The bathroom was very large and had two floor drains for the shower. One ran along the door to prevent water escaping the bathroom and the other ran down the center of the room, forming a T with the other drain. The sink and toilet area never got wet. There wasn't a lot of counter space at the sink and no shelves, but we found the space adequate. There was nothing below the sink to block access for a wheelchair user. DH was using a scooter and we could have parked in the shower overnight if we chose. Instead we parked it next to the bathroom. There was plenty of room to access the closer and walk next to it into the bathroom. The electric outlet was lowered to near sink level and had a plastic cover over it. It only worked with a razor however.

HAL ask has modified accessible cabins which are standard cabins with minor modifications like grab bars, but no roll in shower.

I tried to gift a front desk manager who went out of her way to resolve a minor problem, but she declined. I assume that some crew members are paid better and not allowed to accept tips. Perhaps the chefs would fall into that category, but I'm guessing. It was only our third cruise and first on HAL.

We found our fellow passengers and the crew to be very considerate of the mobility challenged. The crew were willing to help in any way needed. Have a great cruise with your mom.

Thank you both, Crew News & Parker1, for all the helpful info!!! I'm very grateful to both of you for all the help and the great links!!! I looked at all the applicable links and was really assisted by the menus. I think we will have breakfast in our room b/c it will be easier for Mom and then venture out for lunch & dinner. The kind lady who helps me, Ita, loves seafood so I'm sure she is thrilled with the salmon & the shrimp offerings. I was super happy to find that $25 soda pop card that gives you $50 in pops.

I'm super grateful for the reassuring description of the handicapped bathroom experience. (Last night, I ordered Mom rubber sole mesh shoes just to be on the safe side.) Due to your positive experience, I won''t worry about a wet floor. Thank you so very much!!!

Our last vacation was over a decade ago and we are cruising for my Mom's 94th birthday. The 1st night the HAL booking agent order Mom a birthday cake. I think the cruise will be one of our happiest memories ever. ( It's 5 months away but we're almost packed, in that I ordered the clothes we would need to look nice and be comfortable).

Thank you, both, so very much!!!

I've attached photos I took of our bathroom on the Veendam. One of them shows the two floor drains intersecting in the middle of the bathroom. When DH used the shower hand held, he did get a little splashing on the sink / toilet side of the room, but it was minimal. The shower seat folds up if not needed. We brought a roll-up bag for our overflow bathroom necessities. It attached to the grab bar next to the sink with velcro, making up for the limited counter space.

Also attached is a photo that shows his scooter parked outside the bathroom - plenty of room to walk by it. Hopefully someone familiar with Westerdam can confirm their cabins have the same layout. If not, you may want to call HAL and ask the question directly.

So happy that your mom is able to enjoy cruising with you. Have a great time!

028.jpg.8424fd377974880f96eee76fc8998f61.jpg

026.jpg.b315f1150f0cbf48af16ce85c6c0e11d.jpg

029.jpg.964af535049dd8a4100d7592f34bad43.jpg

030.jpg.15e83f985ccd577a12051a2ef295da92.jpg

295.jpg.4889d51d10ec091ed53d5d4190a4d05c.jpg

The HC Signature Suites on Vista and Signature ships are not configured the same way as the lanai cabin on Veendam.

On the Westerdam, you will find that the toilet and the shower are together - when you draw the shower curtain, you and the toilet will be inside it.

You have to remember to remove the toilet paper, or it will get very, very wet.

The toilet gets wet, the floor gets wet ...

I mopped it up with bath towels.

The VA cabins we have been in on the Vista ships have a roll-in shower that is separate from the toilet, so there wasn't a problem.

Edited by Oceanwench

Parker1 and Oceanwench, thank you both so very much! Both responses and the pics were super helpful.

I just added duct tape to my list of items to bring, so I can make a toilet paper cover/shield with a plastic bag. And, I'll make sure to grab some pool towels or ask for extra every day.

The pic of the motor scooter was super helpful. Mom's wheel chair is a narrow model, so it will definitely maneuver well in the quarters.

I ordered 2 hanger type organizers because Mom has so much stuff... Hearing aids, contacts, abundance of pills, wipes, (and dog bags to seal things) along with all the normal things like toothbrushes, toothpaste...

I think we will pack using a combo of packing cubes and space bags. Ita is bringing only a backpack carry-on. Mom & me a hard shell carry-on each. There are only 2 closets in the suite. Does anyone know if it will be 2 hanging closets? Or if it will be 1 closet of shelves & 1hanging closet. It is suite 8068.

New Question: When we go for the fire drill, should we take mom's walker because I don't think she will fit or be comfortable in the wheelchair and I do believe we need to pretend that it is a real emergency. I think we need to put mom's vest on and be all around rehursed. Should we take the walker with to the fire drill?

Edited by Beth8649
Spelling

New Question: When we go for the fire drill, should we take mom's walker because I don't think she will fit or be comfortable in the wheelchair and I do believe we need to pretend that it is a real emergency. I think we need to put mom's vest on and be all around rehursed. Should we take the walker with to the fire drill?

For the drill, bring the wheel chair. No life jackets are to be worn. It could be more than 20 minutes of standing as they attempt to roundup all of the passengers.

In case of any real emergency, the second step is for all guests to report to their staterooms

where they are to remain until given further instructions. Ship's personnel will assist all handicapped passengers to their lifeboat stations.

Edited by Crew News

Unless HAL is vastly different from other lines (I haven't had the pleasure), there will be a "special needs" muster location for those with mobility issues. If the ship has outdoor muster stations, this has the advantage of being inside, there are additional crew assigned to assist, and there may be a nurse assigned as well. Usually the person with mobility issues and one other from the party can use this station. Ask at Guest Services after boarding.

As for gifting the chefs, this is generally not done, and there is not a real good mechanism for it, but if you feel very strongly about this, you could arrange to drop an envelope off at Guest Services. There will be quite a few "chefs" onboard. There will be the Executive Chef, who will have 2-4 Executive Sous Chefs (depending on the number of dining venues and the spread of the galleys), then there will be a Chef Tournant, who is sort of each Ex. Sous Chef's second in command, and finally a Sous Chef at each "station" within the galley (maybe 6-8). Then the pastry chef, the baker, and the line cooks. On and on it goes. Do not expect that your food will be prepared by a "chef" however. They are turning out over 6000 meals a day.

we are cruising for my Mom's 94th birthday. The 1st night the HAL booking agent order Mom a birthday cake.

Sometime before dinner, earlier is better, check to make sure that the birthday cake order has been received and acted on by whatever restaurant you will be in that night. There have been some reports of cakes being ordered but not received.

Thank you for all the info. We will take mom in her wheelchair. and, we'll decide ahead of time who will stay with mom. It's really helpful to know that they might separate 1 of the 3 of us.

I think we might practice with the life jackets in the cabin because I saw a re-run of Quincy, ME (70's-80's) about flights over water & how, if unfamiliar with the to-do's, that you won't be able to do it correctly or in time.

Also, while looking at YouTube videos for tips on how to stow your gear, videos popped up about a cruise ship, Voyager, caught in a bad storm in the Mediterranean Sea. (Whish I didn't watch those videos.) Odds are rare for waves of that magnitude; probably easier to win the lottery. But, I can't erase what I saw. It doesn't scare me, but it makes me want to be fully and correctly prepared.

From those videos I did realize, in rough seas, that your cabin is probably the safest spot and if really tossing and turning, maybe the hallway outside the cabin. I'm sure the speaker system would broadcast instructions.

I'm planning on a happy safe cruise and looking forward to all the great food and festivities like DWTS. ItS mom's favorite show and she wants me to try out. Next videos to watch are basic dance videos so I'm not a total idiot.