Help with Alaskan cruise

dee1321

Thanks everyone! So great advice. School is not a problem so maybe I will look at the first part of September 2016; definitely would get a balcony cabin and if affordable maybe a small suite since sounds like might be in cabin more than on a caribbean cruise. Sounds like the consensus is the best Alaskan cruise is not a closed loop cruise from Seattle, I will look into that to see if can afford one way tickets from two different ports.
September is cheaper as it's not popular... statistically wetter, colder and stormier.

Things to consider...

• which month? I like late July for dryer days before the August wet season comes.
  • which cruise line?
    • I like HAL a little more than Princess (photo packages).
    • Princess offers an outdoor screen and more quad occupancy rooms on the ships I took
    • Disney is great for the little ones.

[*]which ports? Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan are the staple

[*]must have Glacier Bay for me. HAL/Princess and a few other mid-cruise excursions to Tracy Arm en route to Juneau.

[*]many of us find there is not enough port time and have gone back a second time to do things missed the first time around

[*]Seattle vs Vancouver.... $50 shuttle difference. For Vancouver cruises, you can fly into Vancouver and then depart from Seattle post-cruise to admire both cities.

Some inspirational vids...

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Hj5GcyeWsuk[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]B0dplvMRQHQ[/YOUTUBE]

We have been to Alaska every month from May to September. Every month has something special to offer. May has the best weather, but everything isn't open yet and there are no salmon, whales iffy. June, salmon start to run, weather can still be good. July, whales bubble net in Gasteneau Channel, great for salmon, can be cloudy. August, wildlife is getting ready for winter eating and not moving much, lots of Orcas around. Late August and September, beautiful colors but for a shorter time than NE, saw very little wildlife, most salmon were dead of dying, sales everywhere. Overall, I'd go late June - but then so will everyone else.

Need some guidance please, I am just beginning to look into an Alaskan cruise and need any info that can be provided. We have been on multiple Caribbean cruises which I LOVE! However, my DH says we can't go on another Caribbean cruise until we go on an Alaskan cruise. Please give best dates and itineraries, which ship, not looking on going until 2016. What are the must sees and dos... Thanks!

If the think the Caribbean is great, try the Mediterranean, far more to see.

Also, the cruise around the Horn of South America, or Panama Canal. There is a lot more than the Caribbean and Alaska.

We just came back from Alaska on Monday from the HAL Oosterdam.

Here are our impressions:

1) Alaska is BEAUTIFUL and MASSIVE!

2) Glacier Bay was beautiful but now that we've seen it once, we're open to itineraries that don't include it. After a while, glaciers start to get old when seeing one after the other after the other.

3) There were more clouds, fog and rain that we ever imagined, especially clouds/fog. The stunning sunny pictures that you see are not necessarily the norm. Breathtaking vista views are often hampered by these elements so don't expect that you'll have that same experience. You may but you may not. You'll still enjoy it, though :) For instance, we rented a car and drove from Skagway up to Emerald Lake in the Yukon and it was foggy the entire drive up. However, the sun finally started burning the fog away midday and we had a nice, scenic drive BACK to the ship. I felt really sorry for those on the morning railroad that couldn't take in the views because of the fog.

4) Pack for all kinds of weather. We had 75 and sunny in Ketchikan followed by rain, clouds, mist and low 60's in Juneau the next day. However, don't overpack. We didn't wear 1/2 of what we brought and we only had one suitcase each.

5) We sailed northbound from Vancouver because you sail between Vancouver Island and the mainland. I'd definitely hesitate about taking cruises out of Seattle because you sail to the west of Vancouver Island.

6) We had an aft-facing balcony, which was very nice, but, we've decided that unless there isn't much price difference (and there usually is) an ocean-view room for Alaska is probably sufficient because to really get the best views of wildlife, you need to be on the bow or up top to take in the entire panoramic view. It's frustrating to be on your balcony, have the captain announce wildlife in the front of the boat, and it be gone by the time you can actually see it. Our ship had an observation lounge with panoramic windows that was an ideal and comfortable place to sit and watch as you cruise.

Also, keep in mind that some ships stay in dock fairly late and since sunset is also very late, you may or may not be on board enough to even enjoy a balcony. We didn't use our Alaska balcony nearly as much as we have used our Caribbean balconies (and we swear by balcony rooms).

7) You will come away from Alaska changed. It's just amazing how BIG everything is :D (Think of the Pitons in St. Lucia but every peak you see is like a Piton)

If the think the Caribbean is great, try the Mediterranean, far more to see.

Also, the cruise around the Horn of South America, or Panama Canal. There is a lot more than the Caribbean and Alaska.

The Mediterranean is the plan for our next cruise :)