Luggage Question!

We are going to be leaving from Canada Place for our Alaska cruise. Can we check our luggage somewhere so we can go to the Fly Over Canada show before we cruise? Also what are your thoughts on this show? Is it worth seeing? Any help would be gratefully appreciated!:confused:

We are going to be leaving from Canada Place for our Alaska cruise. Can we check our luggage somewhere so we can go to the Fly Over Canada show before we cruise?

Have not seen the show but it has gotten good reviews. And you absolutely may leave your luggage with the porter and then go up one level to see the show. If you are not arriving by vehicle, you may check your luggage with the appropriate cruise ship (if there is more than one ship embarking that day) but don't go into the hall any further (it's a big open room where everyone initially goes, and the various cruise ships have signs to drop your luggage "here".

What you cannot do is check all the way in, and then leave again. When you embark on an Alaskan cruise in Vancouver, you will go through U.S. Customs pre-clearance before you board, thus effectively placing you "in the United States" until you disembark at your first foreign port, most likely Victoria. You can't leave the secured area (well maybe you could but I sure wouldn't want to line up and do it all again).

Alternatively, they will stow your bags for you near the entrance; details from the website are below:

"If you have luggage with you when visiting FlyOver Canada, you can store it at the designated bag storage area near the FlyOver Canada entrance. Please keep in mind that large handbags, backpacks, and other luggage cannot be brought into the attraction."

I have been on the ride, and will go again if any discount-for-locals or other deals pop up - but at $20+ it's pricey for an 8 minute ride. It's not quite as well-synchronized as the Disney Soarin' ride (the motions of the vehicle have a few periods where the screen moves a fraction of a second before the vehicle does or vice versa, and there are some questionable editing cuts between scenes of different parts of Canada) but the basics are exactly the same, and it is very long for a ride of this type.

Can't comment on how big their luggage storage area is, but provided you don't show up too early you can certainly check your bags onto the ship as LC suggests. The official time is still 10:30am for longshoremen to start accepting bags, but this may be earlier or later now that new processes are in place for bag drop & boarding.

You can make advance resos for the ride - it saves a buck or so, and you can also opt for a 'fast track' express for a couple bucks extra that guarantees you access within specific time blocks (I think it was by the half-hour). Personally I didn't find the walkup queue at all bad, and that was in summer in peak cruise season not long after the ride opened so I doubt the queues are as big now, so I'd pay in advance for the saving but not lock in a time for the extra charge.

If you're staying downtown, you just leave your stuff in the hotel and go as soon as they open without worrying about your bags. Almost every downtown hotel is within a mile from Canada Place so it's not much hassle to come once for the ride then return with bags for checkin.

Edited by martincath

I agree, the Fly Over Canada presentation is outstand and well worth the time and money. As for luggage, it is as simple as checking it with the porters at the cruise terminal, walking over to the presentation, coming back and going thru the pre-embarkation process, no need to do it twice. They normally start accepting luggage for embarking pax about 0930....ignore the "no tipping necessary" sign and give them a couple of $ per bag to be sure they don't end up in Burrard Inlet. ;)