Zaandam

MayasWay

We are considering sailing on the Zandaam in Alaska yet this summer. I have three questions regarding the ship and lines (we are new to HAL but not cruising).

1- Are there *quiet* areas in the ship, outside of one's room, where a passenger could go to read or write and have a view outside? If so, where?

2- Are there any special outside viewing areas for viewing glaciers and scenery? (We sailed Alaska on Princess and there were two additional decks out front that could be used for viewing.)

3- Does HAL have a naturalist aboard their ship that will offer talks and guide viewing?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Hi

We did Zaandam in AK several years ago. And then Antarctica this past January, again on Zaandam.

1 Deck 5 has several lounges and the library. All have windows.

2 The Captain will probably open the bow for viewing when near the glaciers. Additionally, There are small areas in the back of deck 7, and the front of deck 6. There are probably one or two more including the outside dining area behind the Lido Cafe.

3 HAL has 2 options here. While in the areas of the glaciers, they will board national park rangers who will provide commentary during viewing. They will also do an informative lecture. (They are also available in the Crow's Nest, the top most enclosed viewing area/lounge, for one on one questions and answers.) Additionally HAL's On Location series of lectures will provide at least one naturalist and one or more Native Americans to describe scientific and cultural aspects of what you will be seeing.

Enjoy your cruise.

Charles

We just got back from Alaska on the Zaandam. All of what ChaCr says was true. The bow deck was open nearly the entire cruise. Plenty of places to watch the scenery go by. The ship, like all HAL ships, has a walking outside deck under cover completely around the ship. On the Zaandam, it is Deck 3.

We had two people from the Glacier National Park onboard for the day. The one who gave most of the narrative was OK, but she talked like she was addressing third graders rather than mostly adults. That was annoying. We had fabulous weather that day and I hope you have the same.

We have been on a HAL Alaskan cruise and a Princess. The Princess cruise had someone onboard the whole time who did wonderful talks at least once a day. He would announce any wildlife he say the whole trip. There were rangers aboard at the glaciers, I believe. But, this guy was wonderful.

We are going on the Zaandam on the 26th, and are looking forward to it, but will miss having this guy aboard. He was so interesting. I usually don't care for the "talks", but went along with DH to the first one, and made sure I didn't miss any of the rest.

I will say that the rangers that come on for HAL are very interesting and I enjoy them as well. Just enjoyed that aspect of the Princess cruise better.