Dawn-family of 4

JB_Scott1981

Hello all. We are thinking of a cruise on the Dawn out of N.O. in Dec. Me, my wife and two 13 y.o girls. Would we manage in a standard inside cabin? The pics I have seen seem that would be snug. Has anyone used a 4 person inside cabin? I would love to hear how it went.

Our family of 4 (2 sons 12 and 10 at the time) did an inside cabin on the Pearl last summer. It was tight, but manageable and we laughed a great deal. It is tight quarters so everyone needs to bring their patience and sense of humor. We did spend most of our time out and about but we were able to pile on the bed and watch a movie one night and order room service. Getting ready wasn't that bad, but my kids grew up camping in a travel trailer so compared to that the bath was spacious :) It might be harder with 2 girls, however I picked up a travel trick that helped a lot: roll entire outfits (tops, bottoms, underwear, and socks) together. When it's time to get ready just take the roll and everything is there. The friend I stole it from has girls and she uses a ziploc bag for each outfit and includes the accessories (hair bow, jewelry etc) in the bag. If you're used to family suites/resort accommodations it may be a shock how small the room is :eek: I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!

Hello all. We are thinking of a cruise on the Dawn out of N.O. in Dec. Me, my wife and two 13 y.o girls. Would we manage in a standard inside cabin? The pics I have seen seem that would be snug. Has anyone used a 4 person inside cabin? I would love to hear how it went.

If nobody has any seasickness issues, I'd pick one on 12 as those have two beds that fold off the wall for passengers 3 & 4 vs. only one off the wall in the other insides. Plus, the ones on 12 were added only a few years ago so they are much newer.

My family of four has sailed in inside cabins several times and it was fine until this last cruise in June on the Dawn to Bermuda. I came down with bronchitis on the first sea day - a really nasty, loud cough - that kept everyone awake. The more I would try to suppress it, the more I needed to cough. I got stuck with the short bed in the middle and basically spent the nights wedged up against the edge of the mattress next to mine. Anyway - not an experience I soon want to replicate! Also, there are so few places on the Dawn to find a comfy place to sit!. I was longing for those loungers in the old Spinnaker on the Pearl.

So tldr - it's doable if conditions are perfect - bring your sense of humor!

They have OTHER cabins besides the INSIDE ones? lol That's all we have ever cruised in for our family of four. From when kids were small, to 17 year old young men - we made it work.

This is what we found:

1) When we are ashore visiting islands - we couldn't care less what size cabin we have.

2) When we get back to the ship after islands, the kids were usually STARVING and ran for the buffet for a quick snack (or so THEY said - was probably a MEAL). DH and I would head for cabin and quick shower. By the time we were dressed, the kids would arrive and have quick shower and change. Off to dinner we go.

3) Our kids LOVED the kid/teen programs. Often times when we got back to ship they couldn't wait to meet up with their shipboard friends again. They hung out EVERY night with their friends and would come rolling into the cabin at their curfew time. At that point, DH and I were usually pooped and one or both of us were tucked in bed and, once again, the size of cabin didn't matter.

4) Bottom line.... we were seldom in the cabin AT THE SAME TIME other than sleeping. So, if money is an issue (or you'd rather book TWO cruises rather than ONE in a bigger cabin).... book an inside and make the best of it.

Someone made a good suggestion, btw. They said book Deck 12 (that's our preference) BUT their assumption that all the cabins on Deck 12 have the two upper bunk beds is incorrect on the Dawn. We cruised twice on Deck 12 and both times the cabin has the "pop up" bed that stores under one of the twin beds and when erected, fills the entire space bed/bed/bed with no walkway. This time for our 11/29/15 sailing I booked Cabin 12037 - it's a sideways cabin. I saw pictures of the sideways cabins on Deck 12 and THEY have the pull down bunks.

Here is a good link with pictures of a sideways cabin on Deck 12...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755562

Another great things about deck 12 (besides pool and buffet on same level), the library is very close to your cabin too. We would hang out in the library and play a game sometimes. (they have board games there). So, it was kind of an extension of our cabin lol ...

Happy cruising....

This post reminds me of a fun family cruise from a few years ago. Our 3 boys were 10, 13 & 15. Our cabin was very small, but somehow it worked. We discovered the boys got along better sharing a small cabin with us on a great cruise versus a 4 bedroom house at home;)

We are booked in a sideways on Deck 8 (8569), how can I find out if it has 2 bunks on the wall or 1 and a roll out? Right now there are just 3 of us but my oldest dd just announced that she might be able to get the time off at work and come with us, so now I'm concerned?

Or does anyone know where I can get pictures of the sideways cabins on deck 8.

We are booked in a sideways on Deck 8 (8569), how can I find out if it has 2 bunks on the wall or 1 and a roll out? Right now there are just 3 of us but my oldest dd just announced that she might be able to get the time off at work and come with us, so now I'm concerned?

Or does anyone know where I can get pictures of the sideways cabins on deck 8.

I do not believe on the Dawn there are any inside category rooms other than some of the new ones on 12 that have two on the wall. The place I normally look at pictures didn't have your room BTW.

We had 12521 on the Dawn as an extra cabin....three girls shared it. It has two bunks on the walls, so with the lower bed split into two twins, you could walk down the middle of the room and get to all four beds.

We brought an over door organizer for the bathroom door for shoes and hair stuff and cosmetics, because with three girls, there is not a bathroom big enough for all their stuff.

There was not enough room for all their clothes in the closets and shelves, so two of the girls just lived out of their suit cases.

Other plus to deck 12 is: there is a seldom used bathroom right up the steps on deck 13 if you are in queue for the bathroom in your cabin. The library is just down the hall if you need a place to sit and stretch.

Good luck!